Bob Dylan on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rumbledoll

Babyface
Hi, everyone!
I'm new to this thread and I'd like to share a little something with you.
I don't know, may it was already there. I end up looking through 7 of the pages (didn't make it through all ot them, sorry)) and found nothing on this topic.
First to say, I'm a big Bob fan and owe some of books of his. One of them named "Visions, portraits and back pages" has wondefully written foreword by our dear Bono.
Here it goes:

Hope links work and are readable! Enjoy!
Moreover, Bob mentioned Bono in his biography "Chronicles, Vol.!", I'll post it as soon as I find the book in my roomess))

Wow, thank you for posting! I really enjoyed reading this!

Bono sounds so knowledgeable and good here, It's hard to believe after hearing him talk like this he went on to compare himself and U2 to Jay-Z and the Kings of Leon and write seemingly very one dimensional songs like Vertigo and Get On Your Boots,

After reading the absolutely fantastic Chronicles it seems Bono replayed the favor to Dylan, Urging him that the rough drafts he had written for Oh Mercy were far too good to be left sitting in a press and needed to be released, Perhaps Dylan's best album of the 80's!

Glad to see Dylan and Bono are still on good terms, I had heard a rumor they had a falling out around the start of the 00's, When Bono allegedly spoke publicly about things Dylan had told him in confidence, But judging that they met up and chatted backstage after Dylan's 2009 Dublin gig this all seems like scuzzy journalism.

Ps- You got the thread title the wrong way around, but wow, how cool would it be to hear Dylan's thoughts on Bono!

I'm a huge Dylan fan too, U2's cover of I Shall be Released and Lanois's involvement on Oh Mercy + Time Out of Mind introduced me to Dylan.

Incidentally, "Series Of Dreams" sounds like Dylan meets "Where The Streets..."

Here's a quote from a 1987 interview with Bob about U2:

Bob Dylan: Yeah, U2 will probably be around years from now. ...I like U2 a lot, but, well, U2 are actually pretty original. But they're Irish; they're Celtic -- they've got _that_ thing goin'. You've gotta get away from America in order to make anything stick. America will just bombard you with too much shit...

I'm sure Bob totally dug Zooropa!

Back
Top Bottom