U2 - VHS to DVD trades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erised

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
:wave: Hello,

I just splurged on a stand alone DVD recorder. :tongue: Within the next few months, I plan to put most of my U2 VHS collection onto DVD so that the footage won't wear out any more each time I watch that scrumptious Larry Mullen over and over and over... :sexywink:

But here's my question, I know a lot of you are interested in trading concert bootleg DVDs, but what about DVDs of their TV appearances over the years? I have a vast collection of stuff, from both American and European TV.

Would anyone be interested in trading with me? I'm just curious, I don't know how DVD traders feel about this since I'm a newbie in the DVD trading area. :)

Last edited:
1st rule of DVD trading - you cant talk about the rules of DVD trading

:shifty:

It depends what you have and what the quality is. If you are encoding master VHS recordings of TV shows to DVD then that's good stuff. Can you post a list of what you have and the quality/generation?

buckman said:
It depends what you have and what the quality is. If you are encoding master VHS recordings of TV shows to DVD then that's good stuff. Can you post a list of what you have and the quality/generation?

A list of most of my VHS footage can be found at my trading web site, which there's a link to in my sig. Not all my tapes are up on the site yet.

As for the generation of the stuff, I'd have to sit down and document that, so I can't provide that information right now cuz I have quite a bit of stuff! I have gotten some stuff through trades, and with some of it, the quality really isn't worth putting on a DVD (aside from wanting to catalog it for my own personal use, should something ever happen to the VHS tape).

Can I ask what you consider the master copy? Would that be me taping a show/appearance directly from the TV, or would the master actually be the TV studio's tape of the perfomance that the station used to broadcast on TV?

If the master is me taping it from the TV, then the quality of the stuff I have ranges from masters to very poor.

When I add a DVD section to my trading web site, I plan to post still captures of whatever I plan to offer for trade, so that if the generation is unknown, people can see what the quality is like and decide for themselves whether they'd be interested in certain things.

Hope that helps. :)

This auction makes me sick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3349670571&category=2356

Not that anyone in this forum would purchase something like that on ebay, but if anyone reading this message is interested in something like that, I have a lot of those appearances and would be happy to trade with peeps FOR FREE. I didn't pay a dime to acquire the U2 TV appearances I have in my collection, it's a shame peeps are making money off of something like that. :sigh:

erised said:
This auction makes me sick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3349670571&category=2356

Not that anyone in this forum would purchase something like that on ebay, but if anyone reading this message is interested in something like that, I have a lot of those appearances and would be happy to trade with peeps FOR FREE. I didn't pay a dime to acquire the U2 TV appearances I have in my collection, it's a shame peeps are making money off of something like that. :sigh:

Erised,

Would you be interested in doing a b & p for something like this? I'm sorry I don't have anything to trade or the means to copy. I understand if you don't want to, but I'd just thought that I would ask :)

Another (this might be a really stupid :reject: ) question. Do you need two cd/dvd drives on the computer to copy vcds? Also what program do you use to copy? I would like to be able to contribute someday :)

Last edited:
Hi kellyahern! :wave:

Sure, if you can wait until I get a burner. Right now, I'm in the process of slowly getting the stuff on DVD, and I hope to get a DVD burner in a few weeks and then I can begin trading this stuff. :)

And, as far as I know you need two cd drives (one a writer) to copy VCDs...I do all mine disc to disc, which requires two drives.

erised said:
And, as far as I know you need two cd drives (one a writer) to copy VCDs...I do all mine disc to disc, which requires two drives.

Nope, this isn't true at all (well, at least on a Mac and I'm pretty sure on a PeeCee too).

I plop my VCD in my one drive, start up Toast, make a disc image, take the VCD out of my drive and then put in a CDR and burn the disc image. It is much better to do it that way than drive to drive. I do the same thing for copying DVDRs.

U2Lynne said:

Nope, this isn't true at all (well, at least on a Mac and I'm pretty sure on a PeeCee too).

I plop my VCD in my one drive, start up Toast, make a disc image, take the VCD out of my drive and then put in a CDR and burn the disc image. It is much better to do it that way than drive to drive. I do the same thing for copying DVDRs.

:scratch: Oh, yeah, I guess I should have been more explicit. I mark that option on my software (make a temporary image on the hard disk and copy from there) when I'm burning disc to disc but I guess I never thought I could take the original CD out once the image was on my hard drive :huh: I think my program launches right into the burn as soon as it makes the disc image and I have two disc drives so I've always just let it do it's thing and never thought to take out the original disc during the process. :shrug:

Hi,
I would be interested in the irish Tv Video
If you going to burn VHS to DVD PLEASE do it on the 1 hour speed (XP) as anything less would degrade Quality.

I have an extensive collection if you want to trade.
My list is below on the WWW tab.
Regards
MIKE

erised said:
Hi kellyahern! :wave:

Sure, if you can wait until I get a burner. Right now, I'm in the process of slowly getting the stuff on DVD, and I hope to get a DVD burner in a few weeks and then I can begin trading this stuff. :)

Thank you :) I appreciate that very much :yes:
I'm in no hurry, just send me a PM when you're ready.

And thank you and U2Lynne for the tech advice :)

Last edited:
Mikefly said:
Hi,
I would be interested in the irish Tv Video
If you going to burn VHS to DVD PLEASE do it on the 1 hour speed (XP) as anything less would degrade Quality.

I have an extensive collection if you want to trade.
My list is below on the WWW tab.
Regards
MIKE

You're a man after my own heart! I am putting all my VHS stuff onto DVD using the XP speed... it's going to result in a gazillion discs, but that's why I purchased a nice big DVD storage binder. :lol:

I'll be in touch soon! :wave:

Just an update -

I think I finally figured this VCD copying this out :hyper:

I tried using the CD copying program that came with my pc (Roxio disc copier), but it wouldn't let me copy any slower than 4x, and that made the VCD copy pause every few seconds. So instead, I copied the files on the VCD onto my hard drive, the inserted the blank CDR, then clicked on the "write to CD" box that came up, and that worked okay :)

So I have a few shows to trade now :)

Erised, you probably have them all already, since I got all of them off of vcdtree.com, but I wanted to thank you and U2Lynne for the help :hug:

kellyahern said:
Just an update -

I think I finally figured this VCD copying this out :hyper:

I tried using the CD copying program that came with my pc (Roxio disc copier), but it wouldn't let me copy any slower than 4x, and that made the VCD copy pause every few seconds. So instead, I copied the files on the VCD onto my hard drive, the inserted the blank CDR, then clicked on the "write to CD" box that came up, and that worked okay :)

Just so you know, that WON'T work very well. A true VCD is not recorded as a "Data Disc", and you will run into problems quickly. It the same as trying to copy a audio cd, by simply copying (not ripping) the cda files over to your computer, then copying those back to a blank.

You should copy the VCD at 4x using the copier function.

Chrisedge said:

Just so you know, that WON'T work very well. A true VCD is not recorded as a "Data Disc", and you will run into problems quickly. It the same as trying to copy a audio cd, by simply copying (not ripping) the cda files over to your computer, then copying those back to a blank.

You should copy the VCD at 4x using the copier function.

Darn :(

Thanks for the advice - it seemed to work okay, but I'm new at this so :shrug:

Does anyone know how to fix the pausing problem on the copied disc when I use 4x? Does anyone have Roxio disc copier and know how to override it so that it copies at 1x?

Thanks for helping a newbie, sorry to take up your time :reject:

Back
Top Bottom