U2 Autograph’s question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gg

Babyface
Hello,

I recently acquired a signed U2 Boy album from 1980 and was wondering if anyone out there can tell from the image if the signatures look genuine or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

If you post a pic I can tell if it's Bono's signature. I have a few of my own..:nerd:

What do you plan on doing with the album? :eyebrow:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When i try add the scan, it says i have to have 15 posts or more. This is my first time posting. If I send a scan to someone maybe they can post it 4 me? I plan it handing the album in my bedroom.

Ta

post it to a picture sharing site, post the image her with

around it

Hello,

I didn't buy it. It's just question to see if anyone can tell if they look genuine or not.

I saw an autographed Boy cover, and Bono's siggy certainlylooked like that, but the only picture is on my phone; I'll be back in Orlando in about three weeks and take a photo.

I have a pretty good eye for this stuff and would say that at least 50% of the stuff on ebay is fake. Just look at the top priced ones today so of them stand out a mile.. it's a disgrace.

I've tried to post it to an outside link with no luck. My e-mail address is lucia_913@yahoo.com to see the scan.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
kafrun said:
Fake.. :eyebrow: None of them look authentic to me, especially Bono's :shrug:

How do you know?............maybe they used their bestest-ever-handwriting signing this one.....look at the improvement in The Edge's sig........he should get a Good News Award for that effort!

I dunno.......*jealousstamp* I don't have anything signed to compare. *hmmmmf*

fly so high! said:

How do you know?............maybe they used their bestest-ever-handwriting signing this one.....look at the improvement in The Edge's sig........he should get a Good News Award for that effort!

I dunno.......*jealousstamp* I don't have anything signed to compare. *hmmmmf*
I don't know for sure obviously, but they look nothing like the autographs I've seen :shrug:

the Edge one looks a REALLY SMALL bit like the real thing, the others are obviously fake...
Bono doesn't write that small and neat, Adam DOES write more neatly and larry doesn't write that small either

here's a pic of Bono's auth
catbatfandrawingbybono1of5.jpg

Edge, not that visible
gibsonexplorersignedbyehc1.jpg

another Bono one, see how sloppily he writes?
champagnesignedtk7.jpg

Adam, you see he signs with his last name aswell, so does larry..
adamsigningguitartlo5.jpg

I can't find any larry pics, but he always writes larry mullen jr, and Adam signs with Adam Clayton.... these autographs are obviously fake, I'm sorry!

Last edited:
kafrun said:
Fake.. :eyebrow: None of them look authentic to me, especially Bono's :shrug:

yeah on first sight we would think they are fake, BUT...if you go to the atu2 site posted above^^, and check out all the members' signatures from 1981, you'll see that they do match quite well.

They wrote their names very pretty (esp Bono and Larry) and they only wrote their first names, so that's not an indication of being fake at all.

GG and Alisaura, check out atu2
http://www.atu2.com/collectors/autographs/adam/81-1a.html

http://www.atu2.com/collectors/autographs/larry/81-1l.html

http://www.atu2.com/collectors/autographs/bono/81-1b.html

Edge even signed with The Edge in those days :)
http://www.atu2.com/collectors/autographs/edge/81-1e.html

Looking at all of them and comparing them, I really think they are real and authentic from the very early days :up:

Last edited:
The ones they have up at atu2 from 82 seem to match pretty well too.

Looks like Bono's autograph has a little 80 written underneath.
Gotta take in consideration that they were just getting started autographing stuff back then.

Edge's sig looks like it was written while he was walking by in a hurry.

here is mine from 2005

DSCF0361.jpg

Bono did write 2005 on it below his name, but the pen he used wiped off the album cover easily :(

greety said:
yeah on first sight we would think they are fake, BUT...if you go to the atu2 site posted above^^, and check out all the members' signatures from 1981, you'll see that they do match quite well.
Aah... this is what I get for posting in a thread before I read all of it. I was under the impression that the autographs themselves were more recent, sorry! :reject:
I know Larry at least tends to write the year under his autograph if he's signing something from earlier years.

That's a heck of a find, if they are real autographs! :ohmy:

I believe the album was signed at the Moonlight Club in London in November 1980.

Alisaura said:

Aah... this is what I get for posting in a thread before I read all of it. I was under the impression that the autographs themselves were more recent, sorry! :reject:

same here! I thought they were recent!

:hmm: they do look like the links you posted Greet!

Back
Top Bottom