today i found U2 three.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooperson

Refugee
i was really excited/shocked that i found it IN a record store. it was not the 7" it was the 12". anywho it was 50 bucks and i bought it. you guys probably know more than me about these things so do you think it was worth it to buy it for $50. i was looking on ebay and bids started pretty low for the 12''. the 7'' were more. are the 12'' records not that hard to find?

:shrug: either way i think it was pretty cool cause now i can say that the first thing i ever bought with my own paycheck was the first single u2 ever realesed.

Last edited:
zooperson said:
i was really excited/shocked that i found it IN a record store. it was not the 7" it was the 12". anywho it was 50 bucks and i bought it. you guys probably know more than me about these things so do you think it was worth it to buy it for $50. i was looking on ebay and bids started pretty low for the 12''. the 7'' were more. are the 12'' records not that hard to find?

:shrug: either way i think it was pretty cool cause now i can say that the first thing i ever bought with my own paycheck was the first single u2 ever realesed.

Most of the 12"s circulating are actually bootlegs. Check and see how Ireland is spelled on the label. That is one indicator. Also, if the sleeve is simply a black cut out sleeve, its likely its a bootleg also. The original had a sticker on it stating it was U2 and the songs.

Last edited:
well now i feel like the biggest dumb-ass in the world. i just spent 50 dollars on a piece of plastic crap. If an administrator sees this post, feel free to get rid of this thread cause it just makes me feel stupid and bad about spending my first hard earned dollars on someones cheap $50 ploy.

and i can't turn around and sell it to blind eyes now. then i would be just as bad. man it has not been my week. and i chose buying this over Gang of Four tickets. i feel like crying. i knew it was too good to be...blah blah blah.

Last edited:
thank you blue room. i asked if anyone knew about it and you did so.... i guess i should have been prepared for an answer good or bad. its a lesson well learned. and the lesson is this "don't buy bogus things for alot of money".haha
i will probably be too afraid to buy U2 GA tickets online for $269 now. i feel pretty cheated. i should get over this cause it is really bumming me out. it's only money i guess. :sigh:

Last edited:
I do not believe yours is a bootleg Here's the info from a u2 collector's site

Three Ireland 12-7951 CBS Official
800 - 2750
Original run limited to 1,000 pressings. Orange CBS cover with numbered sticker indicating run from 1 to 1,000. Actual number is written in ink. Rest of sticker is pre-printed. Since this is a very desirable item, many collectors would consider a purchase of a copy in less than perfect condition. The price range reflects copies in Good to Mint condition.

45 - 60
Later repressing of U2's first release. Comes in plain black cover.

Re-issue in red/yellow "CBS" sleeve.

According to this, it's not the first release,but still an early release and a nice one to have. I would frame it and hang. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Val said:
I do not believe yours is a bootleg Here's the info from a u2 collector's site

800 - 2750
Original run limited to 1,000 pressings. Orange CBS cover with numbered sticker indicating run from 1 to 1,000. Actual number is written in ink. Rest of sticker is pre-printed. Since this is a very desirable item, many collectors would consider a purchase of a copy in less than perfect condition. The price range reflects copies in Good to Mint condition.

45 - 60
Later repressing of U2's first release. Comes in plain black cover.

Re-issue in red/yellow "CBS" sleeve.

According to this, it's not the first release,but still an early release and a nice one to have. I would frame it and hang. Enjoy it!

I'm no expert on this. Most of those you listed are the 45 versions, the 12" is what is being referred to. Thats why I said look to see how Ireland is spelled. If its misspelled its the bootleg. I didnt say for sure it is. I knew it was most likely not the original release though and I thought that was what the original poster was referring to. :shrug:

There are WAY more bootleg copies of this out there though than there are official versions. They sound and look the same for the most part. At a record show/fair, the bootleg version would probebly still go for about what was paid here. So I wouldnt feel bad about it. If it was a true original number stickered copy it would be worth ALOT but there are very few of those out there legitimately. Limited to 1000 only and I guarantee you ALOT of those 1000 no longer exist.

Last edited:
yeah thanks val but i did check to see the spelling of ireland and it was spelled IRELNAD. so i am afraid that blue room is definatley right. sorry i didn't explain that.

blue room, would a bootleg copy realy go for $50? i mean does it even have any value at all even to someone that knew it was a bootleg?

zooperson said:

blue room, would a bootleg copy realy go for $50? i mean does it even have any value at all even to someone that knew it was a bootleg?

You probebly overpaid for it a little. But the last record show I went to which was back in the mid 90's I did see the bootleg one for $30. So I dont think you got totally ripped off. I'm sure it sounds great though, quality wise there is little to no difference in the sound of the recording.

My information was about the 12" not the 7". Also, a rerelease is not a bootleg. The following was an official release from CBS Records.
Check out the following site.

http://u2wanderer.org/disco/sing001.html

Label: CBS Records
Catalog: CBS 12-7951
UPC:
Package: Generic Sleeve
Track Listing:
Out of Control (Single Version) / Stories for Boys (Single Version) / Boy - Girl
Further Information:
1981 fourth pressing, re-release in plain black sleeve, and without the numbered sticker. U-2 is in the thinner style type. Ireland is mispelled on the label and the band's names are etched only on the b-side of the vinyl. There may have been more than one pressing done like this as there are subtle label variations to be found among these copies, most noticibly where the "Made in England" label is placed.

More info of other pressings found at:

http://u2discography.free.fr/u2/php...titleid=4&format=2&item=&country=&promo=1Item

I don't mean to bicker, but it wouldn't be accurate for you to think you have a bootleg item, when you don't.

Last edited:
Is this a fan site you are getting this information from or an official U2 source? Because I dont think its right. I dont know for sure though, but I dont think you do either. There is a bootleg version of the 12" in wide circulation with plain black sleeve with Ireland misspelled. Dont believe, I dont care. :shrug: But I dont know how you are so sure either? With more bootlegs being printed than official, its actually more likely its a boot IMO.

Last edited:
Zooperson...don't take what either of us well meaning fans have to say as word. Check the links I posted above yourself, do even more research and then make up your own mind. That's my advice to you. Take it for what it's worth.

Blue Room..peace. May you stumble across the 1st pressing and smile on!

Last edited:
thank you val and blue room. i will do more research. i have already emailed a record show orginizer in ireland to ask his opinion. my copy has all of the names etched on the b-side as well. i hope what you say is true val. thank you.

blue room i am not trying to give myself false hope by trying to prove you wrong, but i was just wondering where you got your information from. i used the links val provided and see where here opinion is comming from. just very curious where did you get your info?

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Honestly, I dont know why I even post in some of these threads. People seem to feel a need to challenge me when I comment on something I'm familiar with.

No, I dont have any handy "FAN" site links that look official but are not. I have been collecting U2 since 1987. I would go to record shows/fairs every single month in Chicago and in Michigan every year through about 1996. I was also very good friends with a person who owned an independent record store in the late 80's who would get this type of merchandise (imports, old vinyl, bootlegs, etc). It was well known around 1989/90 that a bootleg copy of the 12" that was mass produced and looked very real was in heavy circulation. I was told by the owner of this shop, and countless dealers and collectors as well that it was going around at that time. It was indicated that the misspelling of Ireland was how you could tell typically. So all my experience is personal from what I have seen and heard in person since 1987.

Do you have a bootleg copy? Like I said before, you may, you may not. My "guess" would be that you do. I could be wrong, I'm no dealer or official expert on this. No more than the person that created the sites linked by others is either. But the information I have been presented over the years makes me believe its a definate possibility thats what you have.

Like I said, I dont think you got ripped off even if it is. Unless you bought it to turn around and sell it for a profit I wouldnt worry about it.

There are people that collect bootleg Vinyl, i dont typically collect bootlegs of official releases but rather Audience recordings on Vinyl from the 80's and 90's so YES these things have a value to people

While I may not agree with Blue Room on many things, I would never question his knowledge of all things U2. He knows his stuff more than just about anybody on this site...

i don't know anything about blue room and i wasn't trying to "question" him in the scence that i was trying to prove him wrong. but he himself said he was "no expert" so i was just wondering where he could have gotten his information from. i appreciate his help very much and was not trying to challenge him. i just don't understand his eyeroll and snappy-ness to my last question.

zooperson said:
i don't know anything about blue room and i wasn't trying to "question" him in the scence that i was trying to prove him wrong. but he himself said he was "no expert" so i was just wondering where he could have gotten his information from. i appreciate his help very much and was not trying to challenge him. i just don't understand his eyeroll and snappy-ness to my last question.

:laugh: Well, it wasnt really in regards to what you posted. I should have made that clear. I was responding to the other posts that seemed to claim they KNEW FOR SURE because someone posted it on an internet site!! :laugh:

This is very interesting. I also have the 12" in question. I bought it at a record show a few years back for $15. I had no idea it was a bootleg. I thought it was a steal at the time. Ireland is mispelled on mine too. Great sound though.

Was the original numbered edition the only legitimate 12" pressing of U-2 3? If so, I can see why it was so heavily bootlegged.

sugarraycreed: Most bands release an EP before their first album or single, for successful bands these EPs are very, very valuable and saught after by collectors. Hence, if you go to see a small band in a club and think they could make it big, pay a couple of quid for a cd or vinyl EP. Now here's counting on Morning Runner...................

I have the bootleg copy with Ireland mispelled on the label. I assumed it was real when I first bought it, and I couldn't believe it was only going for a buck or two at the garage sale where I found it. But since I paid next to nothing for it and wasn't really planning on re-selling it, I don't really care.

Back
Top Bottom