This is what I mean by "rare" soundboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*Wolverine*

The Fly
Ok, this is an example of some soundboard rarities that I have.

4-6-01 Denver IEM
5-9-01 Milwaukee IEM
5-10-01 Indianapolis IEM
8-8-01 Barcelona IEM
5-9-97 Tempe, AZ(includes soundcheck)
5-12-97 Dallas IEM

If anyone has similiar recordings I'am looking to trade.

My address is wolverines@tm.net

I can't understand why some 'collectors' withhold 'rare' recordings from other collectors. This is a playground mentality that is unfair to other U2 fans, who despite the fact that they may have loads of boots, can't get their hands on some of the new stuff because of schoolboy behaviour of certain individuals.

It's ridiculous. Just trade the gigs man. Grow up and spread the word. Why hold on to them? So what if they're rare...why are you denying the opportunity for others to enjoy them.

Originally posted by Goodstuff:
I can't understand why some 'collectors' withhold 'rare' recordings from other collectors. This is a playground mentality that is unfair to other U2 fans, who despite the fact that they may have loads of boots, can't get their hands on some of the new stuff because of schoolboy behaviour of certain individuals.

It's ridiculous. Just trade the gigs man. Grow up and spread the word. Why hold on to them? So what if they're rare...why are you denying the opportunity for others to enjoy them.

Oh Geez, where do I even start with this one?? LOL

Ok, judging by the above post I will assume you have no idea what is involved with making these recordings and the legal ramifications if you get caught making or distributing these type of recordings. Not to mention the costs involved to buy the proper equipment. I will also assume that you have never tried to make a recording yourself. Basically if that is the case you have no right to make that kind of comment IMO. If you have recorded than you should realize that these recordings are not like audience recordings. Principle doesnt really care about audience stuff. But if alot of soundboards start getting out they will start cracking down and who will get nailed, the taper, it has happened before.

Also, some of the direct soundboards and video feeds out there were obtained by people who know some of the U2 crew. If they distributed this stuff widely they could get people in the organization into big trouble. Why would they want to do that?

If a person goes through the effort of recording and putting their butt on the line making an illegal recording, who are you to say they have to trade it? Its the old theory of if you work at something or put your butt on the line you reap the benefits. Not the I'am entitled to everything now and I dont have to do anything attitude. Why do some U2 fans think they are "entitled" to everything? That is the spoiled brat playground attitude if you ask me.

Also, if you want to get other recordings like the ones this person listed you have to have equally rare stuff. So why would you want to distribute something widely and ruin your chances of get more stuff like it? It is to bad that most of us will never get this stuff but you cant always get what you want. I would love to get my hands on this stuff also but I certainly dont think I have a "right" to it. If I had something rare I would be doing the exact same thing and trying to get more of them. There are enough high quality audience recordings and a few soundboards available to satisfy most people. Be happy that those exist. That is why this stuff doesnt bother me all that much.

I find it funny when I see posts from people that get pissed about this kind of activity and then say that IEM's stink anyway or say they have a huge collection as it is. Why do you care if you have such a large collection and/or dont like them? Furthermore if this type of activity bothers you so much why bother reading or posting on such a thread. Ignore it.

I'am sure alot of you will disagree with me. I think alot of it is just frustration about not being able to obtain something and I do understand that somewhat. But if you look at the big picture and see what is involved and think reasonably and rationally you can understand why things are this way. Really, unless you have made recordings like these yourself and mass distributed it to everyone and put your butt on the line I dont think you have much of an argument against what Wolverine is doing.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 04-25-2002).]

Blue Room you make very good and valid points. And as much as I would agree with those who say "just share the stuff", it is the tapers right to sit on it if they want. The problem that I have is when people come on here and flaunt or taunt with what they have. I got an email from someone saying they had rare stuff including the slane earpieces, but that they are only going to trade with people who have equally rare stuff. That's fine if you have it, but don't say what you have and then say "basically you don't have a chance in hell of getting it".

If you are going to post for rare things, just post that you are looking for rare items and if you want to see what I have, I will email it you.

This way I don't know what you have and don't feel like you are rubbing it in my face.

Thats just my opinion though
Brian

Bri2k, I agree with you that if someone posted a list like this to just try to taunt it is pretty crappy. I didnt get that feeling though by this post. If you read Wolverine's post prior to this he/she asked to trade for rare items. Sicy responded nicely with her FTP. Obviously that is not what he/she was looking for so he/she posted this list to give an idea. Maybe I'am wrong, but thats what it seems like to me.

Blue Room,

I respect what you say and considering your posts on other threads, you know what you're talking about when it comes to boots. However, I think we should just agree to disagree.

No I've never recorded a gig, and I have all the respect in the world for the people that do put their balls on the line to do so. Good luck to them. It's not these people I have an issue with, it's those that get their hands on these recordings (for whatever reason) and then withold them until they get equally 'rare' recordings. They're the culprits, not the reocrders themselves.

EVERY tape starts off as a rarity, and thanks to pools of collectors recording and swapping them, everyone gets to hear them. That's the way it should be.

I have never witheld a recording from any other collector - whatever the recording - and have even been more than happy to record stuff on to blank tapes for no trade in the past.

I always believed in an 'etiquette' when trading tapes, something that doesn't seem to apply anymore (not on this forum anyway). It's just a hobby, we're all U2 lovers, so let's just get along and trade tapes. People shouldn't take it all so seriously...we just doing each other favours. Here's my list, send me yours, and lets get trading. Over the years I've come across the occassional odd ball (one guy I used to trade with would check the song list on the tape against the gig details in Pimm's book and if there was even ONE song not on the tape, he would return it claiming it was incomplete!!!!) but 99.9% of the time, it's about doing the other guy a favour. Some people should adopt a more relaxed attitude.

I don't think I'm entitled to everything, but like all U2 collectors, we're never satisfied with what we've got. Put your hands up if somebody has said to you in the past:"Why do you collect these tapes? Aren't the concerts all the same?" Now, everyone, put them down. We're continually looking for new recordings, irrespective of quality. And when someone has that golden gem...a soundboard recording...we all want to get our hands on them.

Witholding tapes in order to 'reap the benefits' sounds more like a discipline applied in business, which is hardly reasonable to apply to what is essentially a hobby.

It just reminds me of something kids would do at school, not so-called U2 fans who are denying another fan the chance to listen in and enjoy the recording.

I don't think Principle would 'crack' down on people swapping soundboard recordings. They're only concerned about bootleggers charging a fortune at CD fairs, or people sending stuff out in their hundreds.

I know John Harris in the UK who was the guy that had the Stockholm Zoo TV gig beemed into his home. He recorded the video under the agreement with Prinicple that he would NEVER copy it and send it out...and he hasn't. He hasn't sent it out to a select few. He's been very straight.

I'll never (and neither should any other honest collector) shrug my shoulders and accept some select group of collectors who think they're above everyone else can withold great recordings from other genuine fans. I don't think anyone else should either.

Originally posted by Goodstuff:
Blue Room,

I respect what you say and considering your posts on other threads, you know what you're talking about when it comes to boots. However, I think we should just agree to disagree.

No I've never recorded a gig, and I have all the respect in the world for the people that do put their balls on the line to do so. Good luck to them. It's not these people I have an issue with, it's those that get their hands on these recordings (for whatever reason) and then withold them until they get equally 'rare' recordings. They're the culprits, not the reocrders themselves.

EVERY tape starts off as a rarity, and thanks to pools of collectors recording and swapping them, everyone gets to hear them. That's the way it should be.

I have never witheld a recording from any other collector - whatever the recording - and have even been more than happy to record stuff on to blank tapes for no trade in the past.

I always believed in an 'etiquette' when trading tapes, something that doesn't seem to apply anymore (not on this forum anyway). It's just a hobby, we're all U2 lovers, so let's just get along and trade tapes. People shouldn't take it all so seriously...we just doing each other favours. Here's my list, send me yours, and lets get trading. Over the years I've come across the occassional odd ball (one guy I used to trade with would check the song list on the tape against the gig details in Pimm's book and if there was even ONE song not on the tape, he would return it claiming it was incomplete!!!!) but 99.9% of the time, it's about doing the other guy a favour. Some people should adopt a more relaxed attitude.

I don't think I'm entitled to everything, but like all U2 collectors, we're never satisfied with what we've got. Put your hands up if somebody has said to you in the past:"Why do you collect these tapes? Aren't the concerts all the same?" Now, everyone, put them down. We're continually looking for new recordings, irrespective of quality. And when someone has that golden gem...a soundboard recording...we all want to get our hands on them.

Witholding tapes in order to 'reap the benefits' sounds more like a discipline applied in business, which is hardly reasonable to apply to what is essentially a hobby.

It just reminds me of something kids would do at school, not so-called U2 fans who are denying another fan the chance to listen in and enjoy the recording.

I don't think Principle would 'crack' down on people swapping soundboard recordings. They're only concerned about bootleggers charging a fortune at CD fairs, or people sending stuff out in their hundreds.

I know John Harris in the UK who was the guy that had the Stockholm Zoo TV gig beemed into his home. He recorded the video under the agreement with Prinicple that he would NEVER copy it and send it out...and he hasn't. He hasn't sent it out to a select few. He's been very straight.

I'll never (and neither should any other honest collector) shrug my shoulders and accept some select group of collectors who think they're above everyone else can withold great recordings from other genuine fans. I don't think anyone else should either.

Goodstuff, just a few things about your post.

First, most of the people that have these are people that actually recorded. There are few that didnt but probebly 98% are the actual tapers. They have alot to lose if this stuff gets out.

Which brings me to my second point. You indicated that you doubdt Principle cares about the soundboards being traded. You are dead wrong there. As I indicated in my prior post. It has already happened. They HAVE cracked down before. I'am not going to give specifics but trust me some people have been given VERY stern warnings and threatened with legal action by Principle and Island/Interscope. The RIAA has been involved as well and it was not because they were selling. Somehow they found out these individuals possessed some of this stuff.

I dont understand the working hard and/or putting your butt on the line should only apply to business?? I think that is part of the problem with society today. People think everything should be easy. To do or get anything worthwhile you typically have to put forth some type of effort. I think that is something that should apply to most things in life including hobbies. It makes the reward greater and much more satisfying IMO.

Obviously I'am not going to convince you that these recordings should not be mass distributed. But maybe you can at least understand why things are the way the are with these recordings. There are some ego driven individuals with this stuff. But most are just those that taped them, that love this band just as much as you or I and the reasons they dont mass distribute are the reasons I gave in my initial post.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 04-26-2002).]

Just a question, if these "rare" shows aren't to be mass distributed, why are they allowed to be distributed at all? Same 'crime' just a difference in degree. I have to agree with Goodstuff here, I don't like someone flaunting what they have, knowing that I will never be able to obtain. If he recorded the shows himself, then fine, but lets not forget that he doesn't "own" these recordings. They are not his music, so if he wishes to distribute them, he should do so somewhat fairly or not at all. ------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by Zooropa (edited 04-26-2002).]

Originally posted by Zooropa:
Just a question, if these "rare" shows aren't to be mass distributed, why are they allowed to be distributed at all? Same 'crime' just a difference in degree. I have to agree with Goodstuff here, I don't like someone flaunting what they have, knowing that I will never be able to obtain. If he recorded the shows himself, then fine, but lets not forget that he doesn't "own" these recordings. They are not his music, so if he wishes to distribute them, he should do so somewhat fairly or not at all.

Sigh, I guess some people just dont want to understand. If you read my posts completely you will understand exactly why they do it this way. The only way to get something rare is to have something rare. Who can you trust with rarities? Someone else who taped and whose butt is on the line also. That is why that is done. I didnt realize that was a difficult concept to grasp. I didnt say anyone had to like it. I dont like it either. But I know people in that realm and they have explained why things are the way they are and I understand. I wouldnt want Principle knocking on my door either if I were them. But if you cant understand that then I dont know what to say. If you mass distribute something and have it show up on public servers and the big bootleggers make commercial boots and put it on Yahoo. It becomes high profile and Principle will crack down. They didnt crack down before but they threatened to if the recordings were mass distributed. Goodstuff even referenced John who has the satellite feed from Stockholm. Principle told him to not distribute it. If he did they would nail him. Its the same thing here to a certain extent. Can you grasp that concept????

Again, I agree if someone is taunting with the stuff. Ie I have this and this and no one can have it. That is crappy. This person on this post is just looking for other rare traders. They made this post to clarify what they meant. With all the great stuff that out there that is widely available it is amazing to me that people freak out so badly over this kind of stuff.

I only have a few questions since you seem to be in to this whole boot thing.

What EXACTLY are a soundboard? I got the idea that it was a recording made by U2, like at the mixer board or something. The replies here gave me the intention that it is not so.

And second question. This rehearsal ear piece recording from Miami last year, HOW does that kind of stuff slip out? As far as I know I haven't heard anything about it getting stolen. If things get handled like you've said here, it probably have been given to someone by the crew and that person should then most likely be in deep shit right now since it's out everywhere. Or?

AND if people take such a risk of possessing these rare recordings so they don't want to trade with normal people with normal stuff, WHY then post it on a discussionboard like this? Pretty easy to track down from here too, me thinks. Simply it would just be to e-mail *Wolverine* agree to trade, get personal shipping info.... ahh... busted!

Or am I totally out in the blue? If so, I'm sorry for being stupid...
wink.gif

IEF (internal ear feed) also referred to as IEM (internal ear moniter) and SEF (soundboard ear feed)- this comes from the band members ear frequencies. It is what they hear during the show.
ALD (Assisted listening device) This is the device issued to the hearing impaired at most concert venues in N. America.

Satellite Feed - is audio taken from a satellite transmission of a concert. IE the Notre Dame webcast was first put through a satellite feed. This feed was intercepted and recorded rather than the webcast

Pre FM - Means it is a recording that was made at the mixing desk of an FM broadcast show. The recording was done before the FM transmission which results in better quality typically.

Soundboard - this is a recording made directly from U2's mixing board (desk).

Some people consider a soundboard anything that is going directly through U2's sound system through wire or transmission and onto tape or disc. Some don't. Basically with any of these you eliminate the audience noise that can be a problem with some audience recordings.

Regarding the 3-22-01 rehearsal. That was recorded by a fan and it was leaked without the tapers permission.

Regarding why post here. I kind of agree with you on that. But obviously it is hard to find other rare traders. As far as busting them as you indicate. There are ways to figure out who is legit that a person is trading with and who is full of crap or trying to pull one over. Also, Principle isnt exactly perusing all the message boards on the net looking for this stuff. It would be brought to their attention and they would care about it when actual recordings started showing up on all the public servers, ebay and Yahoo.

Originally posted by Blueroom:
Sigh, I guess some people just dont want to understand. If you read my posts completely you will understand exactly why they do it this way. The only way to get something rare is to have something rare. Who can you trust with rarities? Someone else who taped and whose butt is on the line also. That is why that is done. I didnt realize that was a difficult concept to grasp. I didnt say anyone had to like it. I dont like it either. But I know people in that realm and they have explained why things are the way they are and I understand. I wouldnt want Principle knocking on my door either if I were them. But if you cant understand that then I dont know what to say. If you mass distribute something and have it show up on public servers and the big bootleggers make commercial boots and put it on Yahoo. It becomes high profile and Principle will crack down. They didnt crack down before but they threatened to if the recordings were mass distributed. Goodstuff even referenced John who has the satellite feed from Stockholm. Principle told him to not distribute it. If he did they would nail him. Its the same thing here to a certain extent. Can you grasp that concept????

Again, I agree if someone is taunting with the stuff. Ie I have this and this and no one can have it. That is crappy. This person on this post is just looking for other rare traders. They made this post to clarify what they meant. With all the great stuff that out there that is widely available it is amazing to me that people freak out so badly over this kind of stuff.

There is no reason to be Condesending and insulting. I realize that you have a vast knowledge of bootlegs, but your tone is not appreciated. I very much am aware of the "rules" of bootlegging, but as you you accuse me of not reading your posts completely, it is obvious that you are to wrapped up in your own words to read and understand mine. I agree for the most part with you. Maybe I'm just stupid...

------------------

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by Zooropa (edited 04-26-2002).]

Zooropa,

I certainly did not mean to be condescending and I apologize if it came out that way. I read your post and "personally" thought you were asking questions I went over already. I took it that you and others just didnt want to listen to the reasons. Again, I'am sorry you took it that way, it was not my intention. I know I'am in the minority outside of those who are actually in the rare trade circles that understands why it is this way and maybe I get a bit defensive about the subject. It just makes sense what they are doing to me. I have been trading for about 15 years and that is why I know some of these people and they are good U2 fans. Not boarish hoarders that alot of people like to portray them as. I wish I was a part and/or had some of this stuff but there is enough cool stuff out there that is available to most people to keep me content. Hell, I have the entire Elevation tour on CD now, with some being outstanding audience recordings and even a few soundboards. I'am very happy with that!

Basically this thread is going nowhere now anyway. This stuff seems to have become a major issue recently on alot of sites and boards. Personally I think it should just die again. The situation will remain the same and arguing about it isnt going to help or change it.

------------------
"Maybe you can edufisate my mind." (Bono 3-30-01 Atlanta, soundcheck)

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Zooropa,

I certainly did not mean to be condescending and I apologize if it came out that way. I read your post and "personally" thought you were asking questions I went over already. I took it that you and others just didnt want to listen to the reasons. Again, I'am sorry you took it that way, it was not my intention. I know I'am in the minority outside of those who are actually in the rare trade circles that understands why it is this way and maybe I get a bit defensive about the subject. It just makes sense what they are doing to me. I have been trading for about 15 years and that is why I know some of these people and they are good U2 fans. Not boarish hoarders that alot of people like to portray them as. I wish I was a part and/or had some of this stuff but there is enough cool stuff out there that is available to most people to keep me content. Hell, I have the entire Elevation tour on CD now, with some being outstanding audience recordings and even a few soundboards. I'am very happy with that!

Basically this thread is going nowhere now anyway. This stuff seems to have become a major issue recently on alot of sites and boards. Personally I think it should just die again. The situation will remain the same and arguing about it isnt going to help or change it.

Understood. I really do agree with you for the most part. I just don't understand why it is Ok to distribute as a person sees fit but hey, agree to disagree on this point.

------------------

Zooropa FTP

Blue Room:

Thanks for the info on the different recordings.
smile.gif

But HOW can a fan record from the ear piece? Ok, you don't have to go into details technically but for me it sounds impossible. You have to be in the building at least, right?

I can see where you're coming from with trade rare stuff for other rare stuff but I can't really get the whole thing where you (the traders) pretty much say that ordinary U2 fans are not to trust (which I guess we aren't because most of us share widely to spread the U2 love
biggrin.gif
).

Logically for me it minimizes the risk to get caught the more a cd is spread. If everyone has it, then who did the original? If just a few has it, then it's just a few to check.

And if you have been trusted by the crew with a recording, does it matter if you share it one, ten or 1000? You have still broken your promise and taken the risk to get caught. And even if you just shared it with one, that person will probably share it with just one because he can get something he really wants and then it's three who has it. Ok, it might take longer but sooner or later it will arrive in the hands of thousands of fans and you have no longer control anyway.

To do like John with the Stockholm vid (that I would die to get of course since it's from my country and I love the boot
smile.gif
) is perfectly ok and understandable but then you should do as he has, not share with anyone if that's what you promised.

Personally though, I don't care. I'm not that picky with sound which I guess is the only real major difference between these recordings and a regular audience recording, as long as the audience isn't too bad ie screams and out of tune song right in to the mic, generally too loud can be fixed with a computer. So "normal" bootlegs is perfectly enough for me. If they don't want to trade, then I do it with someone who wants.
smile.gif

I don't know, I just don't get this whole thing, but that's me.
smile.gif
If they don't want to "lower" themselves to ordinary fans that just wants to share great music, then that's fine with me. I won't be a begger.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom