the next one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Hi all,

I am fast becoming an avid U2 fan, and I currently own three CDs - HTDAAB, ATYCLB and the 80-90 best of. What CD do you recommend i get next?

When I started out, my first CD was ATYCLB and then I got War and October... War was good, very "raw" the sounds if you want to call that and October's semi-slow beatwise. But I recommend that you get Achtung Baby, only because the songs are good (ie: One can make you cry and Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World makes you kinda feel hopeful in a way).

Just a quick tip on what to get, but of course, all cds are pretty decent -> excellent so it doesn't really matter, at least on my part. Music is music, some people like specific songs, others may not feel the same way about them. :wink:

Hey, a fellow Aussie, welcome!

You'll get varying opinions on which to get, but I personally think you should start with the way they were released. Probably do it this way.........War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and then Achtung Baby. That order kind of shows the progression and re-invention of the band of the years.

Cheers
Sken

Yeah, I've heard Achtung Baby! was really popular. Why was that? Was it a new sound for U2 or something...(cut me some slack for not knowing I'm only a teen!:D)

COBL_04 said:
Yeah, I've heard Achtung Baby! was really popular. Why was that? Was it a new sound for U2 or something...(cut me some slack for not knowing I'm only a teen!:D)
yeah, to put it mildly. :D

i'm assuming you've heard the radio hits here...if you have, just listen to the differences between i still haven't found what i'm looking for and mysterious ways.

a lot of fans consider achtung baby or the joshua tree to be their favourite album cuz they're the two best. you should get achtung baby first.

then, determine whether you like 80s or 90s U2 better. if you like 90s, get zooropa, then pop. if you like 80s, get unforgettable fire, then the joshua tree, then boy, then war, then rattle and hum, then october.

although i personally think there's a lot to be said with buying albums in chronological order. that's what i always do when i decide i like a band enough to buy their entire catalogue. it's the best way to show the progress and changes they've made from album to album. if you buy them out of order, you don't appreciate them as much. :wink:

:) Please dont feel uncomfortable about my age if you do. i appreciate old things, i'm not like some other teens. :)

Thanks for all the help. One more question though - About War. I've heard New Years Day and SBS from that album and sensed that it was pretty raw and a bit hostile. What was the inspiration behind this album? Was their a paritcular 'war' that influenced it?

COBL_04 said:
:) Please dont feel uncomfortable about my age if you do. i appreciate old things, i'm not like some other teens. :)

Thanks for all the help. One more question though - About War. I've heard New Years Day and SBS from that album and sensed that it was pretty raw and a bit hostile. What was the inspiration behind this album? Was their a paritcular 'war' that influenced it?
hehe it's all right, it just still shocks me sometimes to think that there are people in high school who weren't even born in the 80s. but i'm sure people thought the same thing 10 years ago, that they couldn't believe there were people in high school not born in the 70s. don't mind me, i'm just an 80s freak. :D

as for the war question, i'm guessing it had to do with what was going on at the time. i did a speech a couple years ago on the ira, and there was a hunger strike going on in 1981. also, in 1983 gerry adams became the president of sinn fein, so the tension between both sides in the early 80s probably had a lot to do with it. my memory is a bit foggy so hopefully someone else can provide more info than i did. :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:
as for the war question, i'm guessing it had to do with what was going on at the time. i did a speech a couple years ago on the ira, and there was a hunger strike going on in 1981. also, in 1983 gerry adams became the president of sinn fein, so the tension between both sides in the early 80s probably had a lot to do with it. my memory is a bit foggy so hopefully someone else can provide more info than i did. :wink:

Hmmm.......I don't know that I'd entirely agree with that to be honest. Northern Ireland may have been a factor (on SBS obviously it was) but looking at the album as a whole, I would tend to see it in the context of the Cold War more than the Northern Ireland situation.

KhanadaRhodes said:
a lot of fans consider achtung baby or the joshua tree to be their favourite album cuz they're the two best. you should get achtung baby first.

then, determine whether you like 80s or 90s U2 better. if you like 90s, get zooropa, then pop. if you like 80s, get unforgettable fire, then the joshua tree, then boy, then war, then rattle and hum, then october.

Agreed, most people develop a preference for either 80s or 90s U2. If you already have the 1980-1990 compilation, Achtung is probably the one to go for next to get a flavour of their 90s work.

WOW 15 and likes U2 :) thats wonderful :up:...i wish i had that good musical taste when i was 15..:laugh:....good for you :applaud:

I would agree with most people here go for Achtung Baby next...that album or CD rather...:giggle:....just rocks!
:wink:

Thanks angel_28! :)

Not many of my friends like U2, but I just can't get over how good they are. I liked the new stuff and I was afraid I wouldn't like the older stuff, but I was very impressed with the 80s-90s best of. I've been singing SBS and Where The Streets Have No Name all week. Sweetest Thing sounds relatively new though...was it an entirely new track on the best of?

On SBS, where did the idea behind that come from?

Sweetest Thing was originally a B-side on the Where the Streets Have No Name single. It was rerecorded for the Best of CD.

Sunday Bloody Sunday refers to the second "Bloody Sunday" in Irish history. On January 30, 1972, British troops opened fire on an Irish civil rights march, killing 13 unarmed protesters.

I became a u2 fan with 15(it will be a year in august)
Buy War to feel begining of the 80's
Buy Joshua Tree to feel greatest rock band ever
Buy Achtung baby to feel even greater rock band ever
Buy Pop to see what's great and everybody hates it
Do it in that order and Enjoy

Get Achtung Baby and War next.

With Joshua Tree, they're probably the essential U2 albums.

Back
Top Bottom