Still looking for pro-shot of zoo tv concert from oakland coliseum 4-18-92

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psx2k1

The Fly
Hi people,

Sorry to post this again, but I need a lot of help on this one. I am still desperately looking for the pro-shot zoo tv oakland coliseum concert dated 4-18-92. i know that there is there is a pro-shot of this concert because clips of this concert are shown in the AB video...(in the video, clips of bono singing Mysterious Ways from this concert are shown). the reason I want this concert so badly is because Bono's performance of mysterious ways in this concert, as i have seen from the AB video, looks and sounds amazing! I love the song mysterious ways, and I when I saw the clips from the AB video, i immediately fell in love with this live version of Mysterious ways. Ever since then (about 4 yrs ago), I have been trying to find out what concert the clips are from...and i have finally found out. in the AB video, they only show the second half of the song, but you mostly hear it. most that have seen this video know what I am talking about. and simply listening to it, i feel so damn good. the echoing and the way it sounds is so great! anyways, my point is that I want a copy of this concert really bad! the way bono sings the song is truly inspiring and his voice just sounds so amazing! if anybody has the pro-shot version, please do let me know! I will truly treasure this concert.

I truly appreciate anybody's help and offerings. I will trade or do whatever it takes to get a hold of this copy. Please respond and let me know where I can get it.

Thanks

ps: please send me an email at mysways01@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!

Well, you are not going to find this "out there". Sorry, but every single Zoo show was video taped by the camera crew. So there is a pro shot of every single show. Just because a clip is on the Achtung Baby video collection doesnt mean the full show is readily available. I could list off 15 to 20 shows throughout the years where pro shot clips or even full song clips were used for documentaries or news reports. None of those are out there. U2 archives their shows both video and audio just so they have them for something like the video collection or documentary footage if they want. U2's staff is not just handing them out to the fans. The few pro shots that are actually in the hands of fans/non U2 crew arent going anywhere either. Most of the time they got it from a crew member whose job is on the line if it was leaked. So dont expect to see pro shots all over the place. The LA 87 pro shot debacle seems to have created this misperception that there are pro shots all over of all shows. Not the case at all, not even close. In fact that whole thing has actually helped to ensure that even less gets out there.

You can find an audience shot video of this show and that is it. If someone actually does have a pro shot of this show they have obviously kept it under wraps this long for a reason. Someone simply asking them to send it to them isnt going to get it out there.

Last edited:
In this case you can't find the full show as Blue Room said, but this show is one of the shows used to promote the Outside Broadcast leg, and it was featured in many promo tapes.

I got a tape from a TV station, given by management to use it on promo ads. It features songs full songs in top quality of the typical shows: Detroit, Sacramento, NY, Oakland and a few more.

It's on my "ready-to-be-converted-to-dvd" list, so I suggest you to wait and I'll drop you a line when I'm done.

redbook, are the songs you have Zoo Station and The Fly for most of the clips or did they give some from different parts of the show? Just curious.

It's promo footage ready to edit and paste, it features an intro screen with information about the clip, location and timing.

There are lots of songs included, this is not the typical 3 first songs given to the local station to promote the show, if this is what you are asking, this is more a promo tour tape, featuring songs like Zoo Station, Fly, Even Better, One, Until, Bullet, Desire, M.Ways... it's a sort of "ZooTV Outtakes", but with all the images fully edited and ready to be broadcasted (some of then are even post edited with some effects).

HI,

Well I do agree with Blue Room, it does make sense that the pro shots that are available were leaked. I wasn't, however, aware of the videos that are used as promo ads for their concerts. If it's the case that I can't find the full concert, rather just a promo video, like Redbook has, that includes the complete and edited live song of Mysterious Ways (among other songs)that was used from the Oakland coliseum concert to be added as part of the "interference" effect in the AB video, then I would love to have that video. it also makes perfect sense that they were fully edited because I do have the audience shot version of the zoo tv concert from the oakland coliseum dated 4-18-92

This is how I found out that the MW clip inthe AB video is from the oakland show because I noticed that Bono performed it very similar in both tapes. Anyways, there is a difference in the lyrics that made me think. Bono sings different lyrics in the bootleg than in the AB video, which means that it was totally edited, just as Redbook saids. So i definitely believe Redbook has the full live version of MW that I am desperately looking for.

Redbook, letme ask you a question. You mentioned that the promo footage features an intro screen with information about the clip, location and timing... what does the tape say about the location and time of the Mysterious ways?

Well, regardless, i believe redbook has the version i am looking for.

So redbook, you were going to convert this to dvd right?
well, why don't you email me at mysways01@yahoo.com
or give me your email address and we could work something out. I would definitely love to have a copy of the promo video..as long as the full version of MW that I am looking for is there, or at least that it's an awesome version.

Anyways, please letme know and thank you for letting me know and clarifying any doubts that I had. let me know when you will have it ready.

Thank you so much!

redbook said:
It's promo footage ready to edit and paste, it features an intro screen with information about the clip, location and timing.

There are lots of songs included, this is not the typical 3 first songs given to the local station to promote the show, if this is what you are asking, this is more a promo tour tape, featuring songs like Zoo Station, Fly, Even Better, One, Until, Bullet, Desire, M.Ways... it's a sort of "ZooTV Outtakes", but with all the images fully edited and ready to be broadcasted (some of then are even post edited with some effects).

Sounds to me like you have a great and rare trading item!
I think many people would like to have that promo video on DVD. Not very often a thing like this occurs in the trading world... :up:

psx2k1 said:

Redbook, letme ask you a question. You mentioned that the promo footage features an intro screen with information about the clip, location and timing... what does the tape say about the location and time of the Mysterious ways?

I would have to check again. All that I can remember now is that Oakland is one of the shows included, don't know if that's the M.Ways one (probably if you are so sure) but I'll have to see it again.

So redbook, you were going to convert this to dvd right?
well, why don't you email me at mysways01@yahoo.com
or give me your email address and we could work something out. I would definitely love to have a copy of the promo video..as long as the full version of MW that I am looking for is there, or at least that it's an awesome version.

I just sent you a message last week about something DVD related and I get a delivery failure error :huh:
Are you sure your adress is working fine?

]Originally posted by Soulrock2
Sounds to me like you have a great and rare trading item!

I had access to lots stuff like this tape when I worked in television. U2 dropped lots of promo stuff to TV, specially in ZooTV and Popmart tours. In Elevation everything changed, the promo videos were almost 0 :sad:

Anyway, about rare stuff in video, I think the "new traders" (Elevation traders), haven't dig enough, there are some old videos that were very common a few years ago (Basel 93 proshot, Foxboro 97 proshot... etc) and noone seems to have it now. They are too used to B&Ps and things like that and they simply want to sit and wait for new stuff.

Ahhh, I remember the time when I traded cassete tapes by snail mail. 2 months to close a trade of an ugly tape, lol :lol:

Last edited:
I agree with your statement. However, it's also true that things like promo videos don't get traded very often because people who work in television are not supposed to trade these promo videos. So it's definately not easy to get this stuff.
With trading audio I found out that you also need some luck that somebody with a hard-to-find item needs/wants something from your list. But I agree with you, most of the "harder-to-find" items I have now are from 1:1 snailmail trades (no downloading or B&P).

Your last comment reminds me of my first Pearl jam trade. In 1999 I finally found a tape trader who got this tape from a Pearl Jam gig in Amsterdam 1996. It took 2,5 months before I got what I wanted: an average recording of my first Pearl jam gig! I was really happy the day I played that cassette (with lotsa hiss!!) in my cassette player! :)

redbook said:

I just sent you a message last week about something DVD related and I get a delivery failure error :huh:
Are you sure your adress is working fine?

Redbook...

hmm..that's odd... i am not sure about anything going wrong with my account it's pratically empty being that it's a new account that i just made.
ok, why don't you send me an email to my alternative account,

erik_ut_01@hotmail.com

This one should work. If you still have the first email you sent me, please resend it to my hotmail account.

I'm sorry about my yahoo email not working, but anyways, why don't we discuss about the promo video that you have privately through emails

in the case you get another message (i really doubt it though) just post it here in the forum.

anyways, send me a message to my hotmail account...Thanks!

Redbook, have you sent me an email to my hotmail account already? just wondering...i hope that you haven't gotten another email error message. i'd like for us to work out something in terms of trading your promo video.

Let me know
Thanks!

Hi Redbook, could you drop me a mail at cdparky@yahoo,com, maybe we can work out a trade for that promo video?

Thanks.

redbook---email me at u2fankc@yahoo.com when you have the opportunity. I'd like to visit more with you.

redbook said:
Anyway, about rare stuff in video, I think the "new traders" (Elevation traders), haven't dig enough, there are some old videos that were very common a few years ago (Basel 93 proshot, Foxboro 97 proshot... etc)

there are videos of Basel 93 and Foxboro 97 pro shot??, i've never heard of them........

Blue Room said:
The LA 87 pro shot debacle seems to have created this misperception that there are pro shots all over of all shows. Not the case at all, not even close. In fact that whole thing has actually helped to ensure that even less gets out there.

How has this "ensured" that even less gets out there? That video is 15 years old, and has finally gotten out. I guess we should all wait til we are 100 years old before we "let things out". If someone has kept a complete Dec 20, 1987 (for example) proshot hidden all this time, is this gonna make a difference? Nope, he had no intention of letting it out after this long anyways. People with rare stuff, usually want it rare forever, not just because someone else will/will not release it.

I do agree with everything else you said though :)

I think there's a lot of reasons people keep things lowly circulated or rare.

One reason is, as Blue Room stated, someone, maybe a crew worker or a coliseum worker, puts themselves on the line by giving a tape out to a friend or even selling it to someone who offers lots of money. In these situations, if the "friend" is wise he says nothing to anyone.

Another reason that things are kept underwraps is because, in the long run, old fashioned trading is the best way to move shows around, and to keep a healthy flow of shows arriving. Once something is all over the place, no one needs to trade for it anymore. For example, when shows are blasted out on the servers or bit torrented, why would someone with an uncirculated show bother to trade for it? When, as there is now, the strong possibility that just about every tape that gets traded will ultimately be blasted by someone (often not the taper, and often unbeknownst to the taper)onto a server or bit torrented , there's a strong possibility that shows that haven't yet circulated won't circulate at all.

Another reason things are rare is because some people get off on power trips by having something few others have.

These reasons aren't mutually exclusive, and aren't exhaustive.

No one downloaded, nor FTP'ed the LA Show. It was supposed to stay somewhat rare, and one person spread it around. It was "old fashioned traded". The issue is that it would either stay under wraps forever, or get around. Things either get traded or they don't. My point was, after 15 years, it's gonna get out or not. Just because this got out, doesn't mean something else will stay underwraps, the fact that LA 87 got released will have zero meaning on any other releases because whoever released would do it, or they would sit on it just as they have (for 15 years)

Your point is valid--I didn't mean that this particular show spread via FTP or server or bit torrent, I was just raising a general point.

To say "it was supposed to stay somewhat rare" is confusing. It's possible that different people have different perceptions of what "somewhat rare" means.

I don't agree that, in theory, the fact that LA 87 spread like wildfire won't have an impact on other shows getting or not getting "out." As you say, things get traded or they don't. Some people, for whatever reasons, are taken aback at how fast things spread these days, even things that are "supposed to stay somewhat rare" or not get traded beyond an initial trade. Also, a lot of what goes on today isn't often really trading: there's a lot of server downloading, bit torrenting, mass B+Ping, "giving" away something one promised not to trade to a few friends who "give" it to a few friends after promising not to trade, and soon everyone has it. To some extent, it's the way it is, and it hardly seems like it will change anytime soon. But, to some extent, I do think this whole scene has caused some people to sit back on things they'd have otherwise traded out. A lot of people dismiss this notion as a myth.

U2three said:
I do think this whole scene has caused some people to sit back on things they'd have otherwise traded out. A lot of people dismiss this notion as a myth.

It is a myth! This is a prime example. This was underground for 12 years before downloading was popular. What was the excuse for it not being out for those 12 years. It wasn't the fact of mass B&P, downloading, BitTorrent, etc. It was that someone (or a few folks) didn't want it to circulate beyond their few friends. That will always be the case with something of that nature. Either someone is worried that they will get in trouble or they want it to stay "rare" so they can have something no one else does. (Which I don't really have a problem with, as long as they don't come on public boards trying to get other rare stuff out of folks when 99.99% of the people on these boards don't have anything that would be rare enough for them to trade anyways)

Why is this rare stuff always such an issue in the U2 trading world? I?ll never see these debates in a Pearl Jam or Radiohead forum... Sure there?s also rare stuff in these communities, but I never read on-going debates about this rare stuff. (no offence to the posters in this thread)

ChrisEdge all I can say is.....

:eyebrow:

Its a myth? I dont think so.

Soulrock the reason its not an issue with Pearl Jam is because at least audio wise they release direct soundboards of every single show. If U2 did this it would eliminate most of the rare stuff going forward. Personally, it would be a dream come true. Unfortunately U2 will never do it. Maybe we should start a petition like Slane!! LOL

Last edited:
Come on Blue Room, I expect a better argument out of you than some weak smilie face...

:)

Chrisedge said:
Come on Blue Room, I expect a better argument out of you than some weak smilie face...

:)

Eh, I'am tired of saying the same things over and over with people not seeming to be able to grasp some very simple concepts. So I have resorted to smiley faces. I debated whether to even respond at all. Its an old tired argument and I'am obviously never going to convince alot of you of what I know for a fact to be true. So oh well, guess I'am getting even older than I thought!!!

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
ChrisEdge all I can say is.....

:eyebrow:

Its a myth? I dont think so.

Soulrock the reason its not an issue with Pearl Jam is because at least audio wise they release direct soundboards of every single show. If U2 did this it would eliminate most of the rare stuff going forward. Personally, it would be a dream come true. Unfortunately U2 will never do it. Maybe we should start a petition like Slane!! LOL

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Up until 1998 Pearl Jam didn't release any SBDs. There is excellent illegal taped stuff, most of it is regular and some is so-called rare. Yet I never see bitching about it on mailing lists and forums...

Anyway, I have my own thoughts about this... All I will say is that in my experience other trading communities seem to be much more relaxed about this rare stuff issue. I don?t think it?s more easy to get rare stuff or that people are more generous, but at least there are no neverending debates about this issue.
Just my experience...

Eh, nevermind, posted a long response Soulrock but I'am tired of this endless/mindless debate.

Lets all move on.

Last edited:
Me too. That was the implicit meaning of my previous posting. So I totally agree. Lets move on.

Back
Top Bottom