Some good quality bootlegs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't say you're obliged to do anything - and I know it cost you a lot. I just thought it's fair that a U2 show is shared among U2 fans. (would it make a difference if a person that was also at the show you recorded would ask you for a copy? again, why direct the anger over the trouble of recording to fellow fans? wouldn't their enjoyment of the show be worth any and all trouble?)

No, I don't record. I have a few bootlegs but that's it - I know lots of things are available and I think it's great and that I'm lucky enough as it is.

Hand over something you recorded? I didn't say that either -"sharing" can be B&P, money charged (though a lot of people frown upon the idea of charging money between fans) , DAT Master or - if you come across a really generous person - you can end up with a bootleg just like that, without paying.

U2Girl -
Please understand I'm not attacking you , I hope I don't come off that way.
I've had people at shows ask me for recordings before. I've offered recordings to people close by me if they agreed to tone their excitement down so I could get a clean copy of the show. I've sent out dozens of recordings that way. Yes, if you're in the right place at the right time you can score plenty of shows. Hell, if you know the right websites to go to you can score complete collections for the cost of the blank CDRs and a burner. There are Direct Connect hubs, IRC channels, bit torrent locations, FTP sites and websites with complete shows, though websites usually post MP3s and any serious collector is going to avoid you like the plague if you have MP3 sourced boots.

In today's day and age there are plenty of ways to start a collection for free. I guess I don't have a problem with selling because when I started collecting that was the only way to get stuff. Day trips to Greenwich Village in NYC to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of boot vinyl/cassettes at a clip. Either that or do the Goldmine magazine thing and hope you don't get burned by some scumbag.

Marty McFly said:

I'm not familiar with your gear so I can't give you mic level settings. With my DAT deck, I usually re-adjust right as the show starts, because it's tough to gauge the actual full-volume sound while the house music is going on. I typically start around 2 (my levels go 1-10) when the house music is on, and USUALLY once the band kicks in it will jump to about 7. That's a safe level. You can always jack it up when you do the digital transfer later.

For mic placement, most people make the mistake of pointing the mics directly at the stage. That's a no-no. Think about your ears. They run PARALLEL to the stage, not PERPENDICULAR. Next time you're at a show turn your head so your ear is pointing at the stage and you'll see what I mean. You tend to distort when you're pointing right at it. What I do is put them in my hat. My mics are small enough to fit into the little airholes that you find on the top of most hats, so I poke them through there. Then I position the hat so the mics are pointing upwards towards the ceiling in about a 45 degree angle towards the stage. Not only do you cut out alot of the crowd noise around you, but you're getting the ambient sound from the venue as well.

Try them and don't forget to send me free copies of everything you tape. :D

thanks for that.... my mics arent really suited for hat mounting.....i guess i should really buy a binoumal pair...
they do a good job, but there hard to work with...
but i'm taping a show this sunday...
here a pic of what i've got (thats not my MD unit and i dont have an extention cord like the one show)
ECMDS70P_Minidisc.jpg

i'm going to see if i can get some new better pair, they'd be much easier to work on

I'm sorry if these have been posted already but South Bend, Indiana 2001 and Irving Plaza,New York 2000 shows are great!

I like the Washington DC 1992 show ,too.. :cool: :happy: :hyper:

LOL! These smilies rule!!:applaud:

Marty McFly said:
Let's just say I paid an inordinate amount of money for a relatively rare U2 item which has since been spread freely by the guy I bought it from.

If it is what I think it is, It was spread by one of the other fools that paid for it too. This was proven at the time, by markings on each "item".

This is the exact reason I am done with trading as most of you know it. Too much crap. I can't see any reason for you to sit on them. Have fun with your tapes no one else has. That makes you cool. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:
OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh. At least you didn't release them, then claim 10 years later you don't want them spread in some fashion. Once they are out, they are truly no longer yours. People can do whatever they want with them as the music is U2's and you really have no control over it. I guess I have to give you credit for keeping them under wraps, as opposed to bitching about someone trading them a certain way.

Peace out, and thanks for anything we may have heard that you did in the past.

Last edited:
Chrisedge said:

If it is what I think it is, It was spread by one of the other fools that paid for it too. This was proven at the time, by markings on each "item".

This is the exact reason I am done with trading as most of you know it. Too much crap. I can't see any reason for you to sit on them. Have fun with your tapes no one else has. That makes you cool. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:
OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh. At least you didn't release them, then claim 10 years later you don't want them spread in some fashion. Once they are out, they are truly no longer yours. People can do whatever they want with them as the music is U2's and you really have no control over it. I guess I have to give you credit for keeping them under wraps, as opposed to bitching about someone trading them a certain way.

Peace out, and thanks for anything we may have heard that you did in the past.

Chrisedge I agree, what I dont understand is why Marty even posted this information if he had no intention of trading, period. To me that says its some type of weird ego trip, maybe I'am wrong but it doesnt make sense really. Its either that or this is just outright BS (which I still think is a very good possibility) in which case this person posted this to just stir things up, which would be kind of sad IMO also.

Either way there is no reason to get bent out of shape about any of it and maybe I did a little myself. I dont even care if it exists if it wont be traded period. I have plenty of stuff anyway. Its my whole deal with the rarities thing anyway, I have said before there is no reason to lose your mind over the rarity stuff. There is so much good stuff out there already, just be happy with what you have. So I'am taking that approach with this also, its not like they are soundboard recordings if they did exist, now THAT would up the anty. Thanks for sharing the info Marty, it was interesting even though it is useless and the banter between you and Wolverine was great as well LOL ;)

Last edited:
I yahoo'd the "TechTeaM Haxoring Or Box!" line in the site, and they have hacked many sites, so it doesn't surprise me. I will probably have to re-do the site, because I was editing it "live" in frontpage and don't think I saved much of it. (There was only two pages of pictures anyways)

I did ask my ISP for some help, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, I just fixed it/updated it, and saved it. Luckly they just overwrote the index files, so I just had do redo three pages.

Back
Top Bottom