"SLANE DVD" looks complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisedge

Fan & Taper
u2slanedvd.jpg

Here is the tracks and details from thedigitalbits.com

U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle will street on 11/18. The disc will feature a 106-minute presentation of the complete concert recorded at Ireland's Slane Castle on September 1st, 2001. We're working to determine the exact video and audio specs (we're hoping for anamorphic widescreen), but we understand that the DVD will definitely include PCM stereo and DTS 5.1 (we'd be surprised if it didn't have Dolby Digital 5.1 audio as well). Extras will include the 28-minute Unforgettable Fire documentary, a 30-minute documentary featuring a behind-the-scenes look at the Slane Castle concert, audio commentary, bonus tracks and more. Here's the concert track listing: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wake Up Dead Man, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Kite, Angel of Harlem, Desire, Staring at the Sun, All I Want Is You, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, Pride (In the Name of Love), Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One and Walk On. And here's a look at the cover art...

slane dvd

HI,

are you sure that "mysterious ways" was performed? cuz i went to u2.com and checked out the tracks list and mysterious ways is not listed

Yes, MW was performed, but it will not be included on the DVD. :| Apparently, Bono's daughter was onstage dancing with him, so I guess he doesn't want the whole world seeing it/her...

C ya!

Marty

I just heard that the DVD will include footage from both Slane shows (source: record company). Is it true that they filmed both days with professional equipment? I remember I read somewhere that they only fimed teh 2nd show professionaly...

U2 films all of their shows. So there is complete footage of every single Elevation show. They had the "extra" production crew and cameras for Slane 2 that they didnt for Slane 1, but there is footage from Slane 1 they could use if they wanted. There just wouldnt be as many camera angles and the lighting would be a bit different.

It does appear that MW is being dropped which I guess is understandable. I wonder if the DVD will have the Influx mix intro on it. Thats one of the things I didnt like about the CBS special, they just launch into Elevation without the intro music. Just doesnt seem the same to me. I guess we will just have to wait and see. It is still pretty cool though that they are releasing this concert. I think it is going to blow the Boston DVD away.

Last edited:
Yeah but the performance overall was flat IMO for Boston. I dont think that is the case from what I have seen of the Slane show. I know I will personally probebly enjoy it more.

I think that Boston's performance is not excellent...I think Slane will be much better for the show itself and for the performance...

Boston is an excellent product for the average consumer and a good product for the fans. I think (based on 9 songs I have seen) Slane will be the classic DVD all fans have been waiting for.

Generally I think Boston is really cool, but there are some things i don't like about it. At some points the bass just drowns everything out - like Kite, you can't even hear the acoustic guitar and the vocals are a bit weak as well.
Also, can anyone tell me why edge slams down his guitar at the end of gone??

That is footage from the first night. The solo was a mess that night. Also, look at the different guitars he's using!

Ah, that makes more sense to me. I heard that edge said that they "murdered the song" that night, and edge was having guitar trouble. So i guess the screw up was from the first night, because the sound on the DVDs is awesome, which is from the second night. Maybe i'll have to hear the boot from the first night to understand :)

zerotreehill said:
Ah, that makes more sense to me. I heard that edge said that they "murdered the song" that night, and edge was having guitar trouble. So i guess the screw up was from the first night, because the sound on the DVDs is awesome, which is from the second night. Maybe i'll have to hear the boot from the first night to understand :)

No, then you still won't understand. :p And no, I'm not trying to insult you not am I underestimating you. It's just that there's nothing special to hear from that first night. At least, I don't. :) It sounds like a 'regular' Gone (intense, but that's always the case) and I don't hear any major fuck-ups.

Still, I encourage you to find a recording of the first Boston night. You cannot have too many U2 live recordings. :)

C ya!

Marty (who hasn't heard Gone from the first night for a long time though...)

about slane DVD, mysterious ways seems to be a "bonus track" or "hide track"
but it is not sure
wait and see:)

In my opinion, U2 were wrong to release Boston not complete. They should have released it full, not missing some tracks ....

They cut off three great songs like Pride, Mysterious Ways and One....THe concert lost its identity.....

with slane now apparently being incomplete, that leaves Popmart as the only tour where we have a complete show released in its entirety. i still dont understand why trying' to throw you arms around the world was cut from the Zoo TV release, i watched the ppv special and it seemed awesome to me, maybe them having a drink on stage is what caused it to not mak the final cut.

Because girl's parents did not permit the footage of the song where their daughter was on stage with the band...

Vervefloyd said:
that leaves Popmart as the only tour where we have a complete show released in its entirety.

thats not entierly true!, yes they didnt cut any songs out, but they cut some very small parts of bono talking, and they also cut the part before pride where some guy is shining a laser light on bono, and bono replies "get the light outa me face , you in the red, firefly whatever you're playing at"
all that is on one of the audio bootlegs.......but other than that you are right, the show is complete songwise

the reason i havent purchased the boston dvd is because its incomplete. but i guess ill have to give in and buy slane despite no mysterious ways.

IIRC, the decision to drop a few of the songs from boston was due to U2's desire to use surround sound (5.1??) which, from what I understand, is rather taxing in terms of disk memory. They simply couldn't fit the entire show on a single DVD. Back in the days of old (VHS), that wasn't an issue. Hence more complete shows. The Slane DVD clocks in at 100 minutes or so, so Bono's daughter onstage probably ain't the only reason MW was cut out.

I mean no offence here, but this is bs. It dosen't make sense that more modern technology imposes constraints. Just imagine the band saying "Well...we would have liked to have given you the whole show but it couldn't fit on one disk". Dosen't this sound ridiculous?
I've been through this before. Disk space was not an issue. The entire show could have fit on one disk if you do the maths. But instead they chose to put the making of and all that other stuff ahead of the complete show. And on disc two they gave us a souvenir from Miami that has audio from Toronto.
Having said all of this, I still love the DVD, but I do wish it had have been complete.

Blue Room said:
U2 films all of their shows. So there is complete footage of every single Elevation show.

I would understand if you said that every ZooTV, Popmart or whatever "screen based" tours shows are filmed, but only in a few elevation shows U2 bring cameras to film. I was in many shows and the only cameras present were the B/W screens.

lemonade-

redbook said:

I would understand if you said that every ZooTV, Popmart or whatever "screen based" tours shows are filmed, but only in a few elevation shows U2 bring cameras to film. I was in many shows and the only cameras present were the B/W screens.

lemonade-

Incorrect, every show is filmed in full color, you just saw black and white on the screens. They also have a camera filming the entire stage from the mix position or a spot position in the venue and have since Zoo, its not very noticeable and is not projected on any screen, so maybe you missed it. Look at the Slane and Boston DVDs as examples to disprove your B and W theory. The screens were still black and white, but the DVDs are in color. Just because the screens do not project color images does not mean it isnt being filmed in color. Also, check out the Notre Dame DVD, the Bono cam from that is in color, but is black and white on the screen at the concert. Trust me, they are all filmed for archive purposes, just as they are all recorded. Elevation had 5 to 6 camera angles for every show. 4 of those were the individual band member cams that were projected but even those were shot and recorded in color.

Every single Zoo, Popmart and Elevation show was filmed and recorded. The entire 3rd leg of Joshua Tree was also filmed. Every show since the October tour has been recorded and archived.

Last edited:
zerotreehill said:
I mean no offence here, but this is bs. It dosen't make sense that more modern technology imposes constraints. Just imagine the band saying "Well...we would have liked to have given you the whole show but it couldn't fit on one disk". Dosen't this sound ridiculous?
I've been through this before. Disk space was not an issue. The entire show could have fit on one disk if you do the maths. But instead they chose to put the making of and all that other stuff ahead of the complete show. And on disc two they gave us a souvenir from Miami that has audio from Toronto.
Having said all of this, I still love the DVD, but I do wish it had have been complete.

yeah, I guess the producer just didn't know what the hell he was talking about....

Blue Room said:

Elevation had 5 to 6 camera angles for every show. 4 of those were the individual band member cams that were projected but even those were shot and recorded in color.

Of course I didn't mean that the cameras filmed in B/W, it was only to point the B/W screens. I didn't know there were one or two more cameras on each show. Anyway, what I tried to say is that those 4 individual cams are useless for me, and the overall mix we could get is very poor (a la Notre Dame.... nice but nothing compared with the multicam mixing of Popmart or ZooTV).

By the way blueroom, I see you are very informed. I work in a TV station and in previous tour we had access to a part of the show (since I work, ZooTV, Zoooropa and Popmart shows), but this time we were only allowed to film ONE MINUTE (agh!!) of Elevation with our own cameras. That's another reason I though there were no cameras in the building. If, as you say, there are more cameras, why don't U2 management release standard proshot part for TV stations?

redbook said:

Of course I didn't mean that the cameras filmed in B/W, it was only to point the B/W screens. I didn't know there were one or two more cameras on each show. Anyway, what I tried to say is that those 4 individual cams are useless for me, and the overall mix we could get is very poor (a la Notre Dame.... nice but nothing compared with the multicam mixing of Popmart or ZooTV).

By the way blueroom, I see you are very informed. I work in a TV station and in previous tour we had access to a part of the show (since I work, ZooTV, Zoooropa and Popmart shows), but this time we were only allowed to film ONE MINUTE (agh!!) of Elevation with our own cameras. That's another reason I though there were no cameras in the building. If, as you say, there are more cameras, why don't U2 management release standard proshot part for TV stations?

I cant answer the first part of your question. My "guess" was someone or some station abused their privilages at some point and Principle said the hell with it. I have no real idea, but something along those lines would not surprise me.

Honestly, I have no idea why U2 goes to some much effort to archive everything as they will never use 99.9 % of it. I guess they do it because they can afford to and its one of those just in case scenarios.

I don't know if U2 tapes all the shows or not.... but as Bruce Springsteen case, they probably do that to collect enough stuff and release tons of "Rare box" when U2 leaves the business

Why are you so sure U2 tapes ALL shows in video and audio?

redbook said:
I don't know if U2 tapes all the shows or not.... but as Bruce Springsteen case, they probably do that to collect enough stuff and release tons of "Rare box" when U2 leaves the business

Why are you so sure U2 tapes ALL shows in video and audio?

Its a known fact that all shows are recorded and cataloged and have been since 1982. This has been confirmed in interviews through the years and by talking to the crew. Ask Joe O'herlihy sometime, he is a super nice guy and will talk to you (just dont ask him while he is working! LOL). They have all been archived, trust me. I think they also do it so they can check things to see what is working and what is not in case they want to make changes in the show. This is how I know the Zoo shows were all filmed. Like I said, I think they save them for a "just in case" scenario. As far as a box set, dont expect one anytime soon and when we do see one it will probebly be more of studio stuff that never saw the light of day over live stuff.

From my understanding, U2 does record the shows, but for the most part I've only heard them mention taping the audio. The audio of all the soundchecks are also taped. That was stated by Joe O'Herlihy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom