Rare VHS/DVD Transfer - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For? > All I Want Is U2
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 37
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Rare VHS/DVD Transfer

I've recently received a VHS copy of U2 playing Glasgow on 30/07/1987. The picture is a bit jumpy but all in all the quality is pretty good. I'm fairly sure I've not seen this show on people's DVD lists before so I want to transfer it to DVD. The problem is I don't know how to do it. Can anyone here help me?
__________________

rabnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
The Fly
 
cmcmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 32
Local Time: 10:43 AM
I have a 1st gen copy of this which will be getting copied to DVD with menus/chapters very soon.
__________________

cmcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 37
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Thanks for letting me know but i don't see how that helps me...
rabnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 53
Local Time: 09:43 AM
and a master copy is circulating... please dont put your vhs onto dvd, pollution
jerome.lamboley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 80
Local Time: 09:43 AM
when something is being considered for conversion to DVD from VHS it must be the absolute best version out there
dirtyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 37
Local Time: 09:43 AM
You see Jerome, this is where I have a problem with the "Trade Police". I have a low generation copy of a VHS, cmcmc has a 1st generation copy which he plans to put on a DVD and you tell us that a master copy is circulating and, presumably this goes for cmcmc too, putting a higher generation copy onto DVD would be an act of pollution.

The thing is Jerome, this is one of those shows that circulates in "rare" trading circles. Unless someone has a considerable collection (like you) they will never get their hands on it. I don't expect you, or any other collector, to give away copies of their rare stuff for nothing but don't whinge if a rare show does get circulated. I know that the source I got this from (who I believe to be either the taper or close to the taper) has no problems in my putting the show onto DVD. I've got a fairly small dvd collection at the moment and I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting some of this rarer stuff and neither would the vast majority of other traders. So the question is: Which is the lesser of two evils? Do you have a master copy of a hand held audience show that only 15 people ever get to see or do you have a slightly inferior version that's available to the masses? As long as I don't try and pass my copy off as a master copy where is the problem?
rabnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
Fan & Taper
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,265
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rabnax
You see Jerome, this is where I have a problem with the "Trade Police". I have a low generation copy of a VHS, cmcmc has a 1st generation copy which he plans to put on a DVD and you tell us that a master copy is circulating and, presumably this goes for cmcmc too, putting a higher generation copy onto DVD would be an act of pollution.

The thing is Jerome, this is one of those shows that circulates in "rare" trading circles. Unless someone has a considerable collection (like you) they will never get their hands on it. I don't expect you, or any other collector, to give away copies of their rare stuff for nothing but don't whinge if a rare show does get circulated. I know that the source I got this from (who I believe to be either the taper or close to the taper) has no problems in my putting the show onto DVD. I've got a fairly small dvd collection at the moment and I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting some of this rarer stuff and neither would the vast majority of other traders. So the question is: Which is the lesser of two evils? Do you have a master copy of a hand held audience show that only 15 people ever get to see or do you have a slightly inferior version that's available to the masses? As long as I don't try and pass my copy off as a master copy where is the problem?
Bingo. If you want your master copy to be the one circulating, then circulate it. Otherwise you can't claim "pollution".

This very thing happened with a Tenancious D video I had been working on. 2nd gen VHS (The best that was around) was made into a DVD, while I was working on one from the master. Well, I had taken far too long to finish the DVD, the 2nd gen one got circulating. The only thing I could do, was spread the word, AND the master DVD one, as fast as possible. Now that is the one most folks have.
Chrisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 274
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rabnax
You see Jerome, this is where I have a problem with the "Trade Police". I have a low generation copy of a VHS, cmcmc has a 1st generation copy which he plans to put on a DVD and you tell us that a master copy is circulating and, presumably this goes for cmcmc too, putting a higher generation copy onto DVD would be an act of pollution.

The thing is Jerome, this is one of those shows that circulates in "rare" trading circles. Unless someone has a considerable collection (like you) they will never get their hands on it. I don't expect you, or any other collector, to give away copies of their rare stuff for nothing but don't whinge if a rare show does get circulated. I know that the source I got this from (who I believe to be either the taper or close to the taper) has no problems in my putting the show onto DVD. I've got a fairly small dvd collection at the moment and I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting some of this rarer stuff and neither would the vast majority of other traders. So the question is: Which is the lesser of two evils? Do you have a master copy of a hand held audience show that only 15 people ever get to see or do you have a slightly inferior version that's available to the masses? As long as I don't try and pass my copy off as a master copy where is the problem?
I couldn't agree more. As long as people are honest about their source info I don't see the problem either.
Soulrock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #9
Refugee
 
u2rulesmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: behind a camcorder
Posts: 1,132
Local Time: 09:43 AM
There is a group of us working to locate the best possible sources for these shows and 'hoarding' is not in our vocabulary.

Please try and refrain from transferring generated VHS to DVD without researching if there is a better source to transfer. anything that is 2nd gen VHS or worse should not be transferred. If you have not made an effort to locate a better source you should not be transferring it.

This show is not exactly rare, it is simply lightly circulated, that is going to change. Think I am kidding? go to sharingthegroove.org and look in the DVD torrent section and you will find 6 or 8 u2 DVD's with more to come.
u2rulesmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Refugee
 
u2rulesmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: behind a camcorder
Posts: 1,132
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Soulrock2


I couldn't agree more. As long as people are honest about their source info I don't see the problem either.
The problem is that the next guy down the line might not be so honest about the source and things can spread VERY quickly in todays trading enviroment.

Everyone would rather see the best possible quality, so be a little patient. My Dad use to tell me anything worth having is worth waiting for.

I will try and be more diligent about posting Bit Torrent links on this board
u2rulesmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 274
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Are you the same person who torrents all these amazing dvd's? U2, Berlin, Briney Spears and more? Well, I don't download them (no bandwith) but you and your group are definately heroes of mine!

People can't advertize sharingthegroove.org enough IMO.

So here you go. One more time: www.sharingthegroove.org. For all people who like to share good live music. Please be honest and upload the same amount as you download or offer B&P.

P.S. I have patience. Actually I am taking a break from trading lol :-)
Soulrock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 53
Local Time: 09:43 AM
in fact, thats your problem, do that you want
)
jerome.lamboley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:31 PM   #13
The Fly
 
*Wolverine*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Edge's ear
Posts: 103
Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2rulesmyworld
There is a group of us working to locate the best possible sources for these shows and 'hoarding' is not in our vocabulary.
__________________

*Wolverine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×