Question of value??? Sampler box set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebornu2fan

Babyface
Hi, Can anyone give an approximate value for a 7" box set of "The Joshua Tree", mint condition with a double "A" side of "Red Hill Mining Town" on sampler 1.
I have had this since 1987 and would like to see what the value is for insurance purposes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Hello,

I have a couple of issues of the magazine Record Collector, indeed a magazine about rare vinyl, CD's & memorabilia. In their September 1999 issue (# 241) they did an article about the top 20 U2 rarities. This is what I found in ninth place:

The Joshua Tree Collection
UK Island U26-1/2/3/4/5, promo 5 x 7" box set with "Sampler Disc No. 1" mispressed, 1987

"The Joshua Tree" saw U2 at the height of their fame in the 80s - big production, big tours and big hats all the way - so it was only natural that Island should give the album a special push on its release. This came in the form of "The Joshua Tree Collection", a boxed set limited to 250 copies containing five 7" singles marked "Album Sampler", which collected together all the tracks on the LP, except for "With Or Without You", which had already been released as a single. However, "Album Sampler No. 1" was the subject of a minor cock-up, in which the B-side, "Red Hill Mining Town", appeared on both sides of the disc, replacing "Where The Streets Have No Name". The legend "Double A" was hastily scrawled on the label in marker pen, and the correct pressing of the single was included in later issues of the box, which now fetch GBP 350.

Value: GBP 900.-

So in 1999 this was valued at 900 British pounds. :eek: As for todays value, that's a bit hard to predict. With the advent of Ebay, lots of collectibles have become a lot cheaper. Then again, this is a very rare item, no matter how you look at it. The price guide on the @U2 website (http://www.atu2.com/collectors/guide/search.src?Key=Joshua+Tree&TYPE=7-inch&x=0&y=0) also lists the 'regular' Collection for $500.- which is about the same as the GBP 350 mentioned above. So I think that 900 GBP is still a good indication of what your Collection is worth, if it's indeed in mint condition and complete. Of course, this is mostly based on my speculation, so if anyone has a better indication, be my guest. :wink:

And for those wondering what this item looks like:
75.jpg

C ya!

Marty

Really!! I thought that it would be worth hanging on to, only played it once, and it now it seems that it's a rarity.
If I was in a position to sell this item, where would the best place to generate interest in it be? Does anyone think that it would be worth contacting auction houses or sell via Ebay?

If anyone is interested in this type of item, where would you look?

I look forward to recommendations.

I really don't know. While Ebay may seem like a good choice, the outcome can be really violent (as in, possible of a very low outcome, or a very high outcome and everything in between). Auction houses usually offer a lower price, because they need to have their own margin. I really don't know how this works for these kinds of collectables.

I'm not interested in it (not even if I had the money). I'm more interested in knowing, how did you get it?

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom