Fonts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barmar

Babyface
Hi I'm looking for the fonts U2 has used on the following albums:

- The Joshua Tree
- Rattle and Hum
- Achtung Baby
- ATYCLB
- HTDAAB

- Vertigo Tour

Who can help me out?

I think theses are correct.

Joshua Tree: Palatino
Rattle & Hum: Univers Black Italic
Achtung Baby: Grunge
ATYCLB: Square Extended
HTDAAB: Clarendon

Hope this helps

I have ATYCLB - Eurostile Extended Roman
and HTDAAB - Clarendon (not exactly the same btw, the one from HTDAAB is Clarendon BT Roman, wich you'd have to purchase to get)

I'd love if somebody could hook me up with the AB font!

:huh: odd, I can't YSI fonts.. you'lll have to post your email for this I think!

Last edited:
Joshua Tree: Legacy Serif Ultra
Rattle & Hum: Univers Black Italic
Achtung Baby: ?
ATYCLB: Eurostile Extended
HTDAAB: Clarendon

I'm in the procces of creating a u2 website with everything you'll ever need if you're making bootleg covers, wallpapers, website and so on.
This is what it looks like so far, but I'm thinking about changing the layout a bit.
u2bigideaslayout.jpg

I have a list from it on my other computer with many U2 or U2 related fonts, I'll post that once I have access to it.
Let's start with this, though

* Boy - Berling Roman
* October - Bernhard BoldCondensed
* War - Block Gothic
* Under A Blood Red Sky - Nimbus Sans
* The Unforgettable Fire - Bolide
* Joshua Tree - Legacy Serif Ultra
* Rattle And Hum - Compacta Bold BT
* Achtung Baby - Helvetica Cyr Upright
` One video - Migraine Serif`
* Zooropa - Traffic Type Sweden D
* Pop - Helvetivca 45 Light
* Best Of - Swiss 721
* All That You Can't Leave Behind - Eurostile Extended
` Elevation Tour Live From Boston cover - 04b_08 04b_19 and 04b_31`
* How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Clarendon
` Vertigo Tour// 2005/2006 - Housebroken Clean`
* U2byU2 - Eurostile Bold Extended #2
* U2:18 - Eurostile Bold Extended #2
` The Saints Are Coming (singel): Aachen Bold Plain`

I don't now where you can get all of these or similar for free though.
There will probably be some links on the website when I'm done making the research on where to find them.

Enjoy!

Could someone please email the Joshua Tree font listed above?

theedge1989 at hotmail.com

The_Edge89 said:

I'm in the procces of creating a u2 website with everything you'll ever need if you're making bootleg covers, wallpapers, website and so on.
This is what it looks like so far, but I'm thinking about changing the layout a bit.

You've got a link for "U2 Logos" on there. Do you mean the symbols from all the albums? :drool: I've been searching forever for a few & hope to make a couple of tshirts.......

Utoo said:

You've got a link for "U2 Logos" on there. Do you mean the symbols from all the albums? :drool: I've been searching forever for a few & hope to make a couple of tshirts.......

Yeah, that's more or less what it is.
This is an example:
Zooropaspaceboy.gif

(Thanks to whoever posted it for the rest of us!)

Can help you too. Got the fonts ( I even bought housebroken) and made some logos and figures in vector graphic. Just tell me if you are ready to start the site and send you all the suff I have!

Mr_LeMon said:
Can help you too. Got the fonts ( I even bought housebroken) and made some logos and figures in vector graphic. Just tell me if you are ready to start the site and send you all the suff I have!

Wow, thanks Mr_LeMon!
I was going to ask for your permission to borrow the scans you have on your Limelight Goodies section?
I've scanned some of my own stuff. (including the Q magazine scans you already have)
I'll keep the "L" logo too.

I can post a list of fonts that I have so far later, I'm on my laptop at the moment.
Anyways, u2BIGideas isn't really done yet, I still have got some work to do before I can launch it. ;)
Hope that's ok?

by the way; what's the best way of sharing big pictures and not store them on your website server?
I saw something called JAlbum, is that good?
Preferably something that doesn't resize it too.

The_Edge89----is your site up at all, or is it too far under the dust of construction?

Wow, this is great guys! I've been looking for stuff like this for donkeys years. Look forward to the site The_Edge89!

edit - I have a question. Where exactly is the 'Helvetica Cyr Upright' font used for Achtung Baby stuff? Also, the stylised Achtung Baby writing on the cd, is that considered the logo?

Last edited:
Slipstream said:
Wow, this is great guys! I've been looking for stuff like this for donkeys years. Look forward to the site The_Edge89!

edit - I have a question. Where exactly is the 'Helvetica Cyr Upright' font used for Achtung Baby stuff? Also, the stylised Achtung Baby writing on the cd, is that considered the logo?
I'm not sure but I think "Helvetica Cyr Upright" might be the font used inside the booklet for the lyrics and that kind of thing.
And also on the side of the cd-case where it says "U2 - ACHTUNG BABY"

The writing is not a font from what I've found out but it should be considered the logo in my opinion, I'll upload a good resolution pic of that later as well.

Here's a list of the fonts that I've found out the names for so far:
The one's I've collected are marked with a "*".

Boy - Berling Roman
October - Bernhard Condensed Regular*
War - Block Gothic Bold Extra Condensed
Under A Blood Red Sky - Nimbus Sans
The Unforgettable Fire - Bolide Regular*
Joshua Tree - Legacy Serif Ultra
Rattle And Hum - Compacta Bold BT
Achtung Baby - Helvetica Cyrillic Upright
»One video - Migraine Serif*
Zooropa - Traffic Type Sweden D
Passengers - ?
Pop - Helvetica 45 Light
Best Of - Swiss 721
»Electrical storm Swiss 721
»Sweetest thing Helvetica Ultra Compressed
All That You Can't Leave Behind - Eurostile Extended*(Metrostyle, but it's similar)
»Elevation Tour Live From Boston* -
04b_08
04b_19
04b_31

»Elevation Tour Live From Slane Castle* - Clarendon
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb* - Clarendon
»Vertigo Tour//Live From Chicago* - Housebroken Clean
»the LARRY MULLEN band t-shirt* - Cooper Black
The Complete U2 Digital Box Set- Conduit ITC Bold
U218 Singles - Eurostile Bold Extended #2
» The Saints Are Coming - Aachen Bold Plain
Propaganda "The Melon Issue" #21 1995* - Grunge
»www.u2propaganda.com logo - Prosper Open Cd-Book
EDUN logo - QuaintGothicSG Regular (modified D and U)
Music Rising website logo - Regulator Medium
RED campaign - Trade Gothic Bold Condensed No. 20
Old U2.com logo Lord Haw-Haw
U2BYU2 - Eurostile Bold Extended #2

Last edited:
Go ahead! I also have a quite big collection of official promo photos and other HQ scans. I will zip them and upload for ya!

Mr_LeMon said:
Can help you too. Got the fonts ( I even bought housebroken) and made some logos and figures in vector graphic.

Oooh... do you have "Helvetica Cyrillic Upright" by chance? I'm making an Achtung Baby fansite and it would be awesome to use that font. :drool:

SpaceOddity said:

Oooh... do you have "Helvetica Cyrillic Upright" by chance? I'm making an Achtung Baby fansite and it would be awesome to use that font. :drool:

Is this the font you're after, perhaps?
117606.jpg

THIS is Helvetica Cyrillic Upright. I think you could use Arial if you're on a PC.
C_HELB-10005000.GIF

The Achtung Baby logo isn't a font it's handwritten, I'm afraid.

But maybe someone could create a font out of pictures or something?

Mr_LeMon said:
Go ahead! I also have a quite big collection of official promo photos and other HQ scans. I will zip them and upload for ya!

Thanks!
theedge1989 @ hotmail.com

Last edited:
Yeah, what I'm after is the font from the inside cover/liner notes. I know the logo itself isn't an actual font (although it would be awesome if it was). I know I can probably use Arial, but I'm such a perfectionist. LOL.

Edge89...how are you doing with that site?

Also, could anyone send me the Vertigo DVD font? I'm making up a "Vertigo Live" disc as part of my sister's christmas present, and I wanted to use that font. Thanks! :)

idiom said:
Edge89...how are you doing with that site?

Also, could anyone send me the Vertigo DVD font? I'm making up a "Vertigo Live" disc as part of my sister's christmas present, and I wanted to use that font. Thanks! :)

I haven't done much on it yet, I have too much other things to do at the moment.

I was just fooling around with msn, and I think I just found the Achtung Baby font!!!!
yes the 'handwritten' one!

I think it is

Handscript SF

Bold
Normal
Cursive

achtungfontwd4.png

it looks familiar, not the same, but it's the closest I've seen sofar!

Galeongirl said:
I was just fooling around with msn, and I think I just found the Achtung Baby font!!!!
yes the 'handwritten' one!

I think it is

Handscript SF

Bold
Normal
Cursive

achtungfontwd4.png

it looks familiar, not the same, but it's the closest I've seen sofar!

Handscript.ttf

EDIT:
Look what I stumbled upon!

VNI-Thuphap

Getting closer to what's true...

Mix of fonts from this "family"

Pretty darn close if you ask me!
just look at the c,a, u, n, and g and almost the t and y too!
:ohmy:

Either this was the font used on the album but modified in some ways, or perhaps the creator took inspiration from the logo when he/she created the font?!

Last edited:
Utoo said:
do you still want these, utoo? i have lots of ATYCLB gifs like
atyclbsuitcase.gif
elevationicon.gif
kiteicon.gif

and vertigo gifs like
vertigoheart.jpg

vertigolapoe.jpg

theedge89, that's really cool that you're thinking of making a cool u2 site like that. best of luck! =) it would be so helpful to many of us who are also looking for those fonts for our creative ventures. haha.h i would send you the ones i have, but it seems you already have them too, for i don't have many. i would love to see it when it's done! yay.

tuwie said:

theedge89, that's really cool that you're thinking of making a cool u2 site like that. best of luck! =) it would be so helpful to many of us who are also looking for those fonts for our creative ventures. haha.h i would send you the ones i have, but it seems you already have them too, for i don't have many. i would love to see it when it's done! yay.

Thank you tuwie, that's really nice of you.

If it's not too much to ask would you list the fonts you have, so I can see if there's any missing ones for me?

Those Vertigo-GIFs look awesome.
Do you have some more and could you please e-mail them to me if you do?

theedge1989 @ hotmail.com

^ yeah, i'll send you all the gifs i have =)
i actually only have clarendon and cooper black and migrane.
i know a free font site called www.abstractfonts.com, but i haven't had time to search through it to see if they carry the other fonts that are U2 affiliated that you listed in your list.

tuwie said:
do you still want these, utoo?

YES!! :combust:

I'll take all the symbols you've got! :D

I'd like to make a bunch of different shirts, but the one I'd love to make is one with the JT tree, the AB/Z baby, the Pop lemon or shopping cart, the ATYCLB suitcase, and the Bomb target or bomb.

Back
Top Bottom