Elevation VCD recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentK

The Fly
Can anyone recommend any VCD's from the tour? It looks like there are about a dozen or so out there, but I've never owned a VCD so I don't really know what to expect in terms of sound and audio quality.

Any exceptional ones out there? Any dogs to stay away from?

Thanks for any inputs.

Don't expect a whole lot from some of them. Remember that many were put onto VHS and then someone converted it to an mpeg and then someone turned the mpeg into a VCD. They are a bit fuzzy and the sound is just OK. Don't expect DVD quality!

The Club Manray one is nice because it is shot from so close. The Rehearsal one is nice just to get a glimpse into what the band was initially thinking of doing for certain songs. The Slane Castle one is nice cuz someone put it straight to VCD. The others (that I've seen or heard of) are all just standard audience recordings.

martha said:
Lynne, you are so hardcore!!! I love that about you! :heart:

It's my obsession :) And it isn't a very expensive one since I don't tape (yet ;).

Oh, and I'll add to the list the Irving Plaza VCD that is just now making the rounds. It's very nice.

bono_man2002 said:
the 2001-12-02 miami video is great...the sound isnt as good as the audio bootleg, but the video is great from what i have seen

The sound quality isn't that great on any of the audience recordings. But yes, the Miami one is very nice to watch... as it the Barcelona one and the Notre Dame and .... all of them are great to watch.

We can go on about this, but since the OP has never bothered to show back up, it's kinda useless.

U2Lynne said:

The sound quality isn't that great on any of the audience recordings. But yes, the Miami one is very nice to watch... as it the Barcelona one and the Notre Dame and .... all of them are great to watch.

We can go on about this, but since the OP has never bothered to show back up, it's kinda useless.

Hey, I'm here, I'm here!

These all sound like great recommendations and must be fantastic to watch, but having nothing to trade, I'm in a bit of a pickle as to how to actually obtain one.

All I can actually find for sale is VHS recordings, and no pro-shots for that matter. There is not much on Ebay-- how does one actually start a collection of VCD's? Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for everyone's inputs on the matter. Kent.

KentK said:
how does one actually start a collection of VCD's? Hmmmmm.....

On wire-u2 and u2-list, there are *tons* of giveaways constantly. I just gave away ten copies of the Irving Plaza VCD on Wire on Monday.

Go join a list, that is the best advice I can give anyone who wants to get into collecting.

Hey Kent,

I happen to have a spare Irving Plaza VCD and Italian Broadcast VCD sitting here on my desk waiting to go out to someone :) PM me your address by tomorrow (Thursday) and they are yours!

Why would you want to look at stuff on VCD? It's much inferior to DVD+R/DVD-R... it should be a crime to trade anything these days on VHS or VCD. A VHS or VCD isn't even worth watching.

Yes, the miami vcd picture is quite good, but the sound isnt so good. But thats Ok, it can be fixed:). You can replace the audio stream with audio from the audio boot, and it will be much better. Thats what i would do if i had more than 2 songs from the vcd.

The Best vcd's who is circle around by the collecter's is the Tibetan Freedom Concert, 1997!!! pro shot and taken from a first generation vhs there is also a nice vcd from antwerpen 6-8-2001 and many more are on vcd's some are verry great and some are verry bad, I have the Slane 1-9 broadcast on dvd-r and that's the best you can have I also become the Irving Plaza 2000 show on dvd most people have that show on vcd but the dvd quality is much better!,

Back
Top Bottom