Anyone have the JT Gold Remaster CD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biff said:

I have JT and UF. Are there others? I thought there were just the two.

Are you referring to...

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Original Master Recording - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UDCD 650)

and

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (Original Master Recording - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UDCD 624)

I don't know if there are any others but would sure like to find out :hyper: :)

CTU2fan said:
There is "War" also...

Really? Wow! I've never seen that listed for sale.

Now I really have to have that. The other two have such superior sound. The "regular" UF disk in particular is just so painful to listen to, even without the comparison.

enajh2 said:

Are you referring to...

U2 - The Joshua Tree (Original Master Recording - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UDCD 650)

and

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (Original Master Recording - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab UDCD 624)

I expect so, but in order to verify that, I would have to climb two sets of stairs, and you surely would not expect me to do that?:wink:

OK, so I just went to Amazon, and the "Gold" War is listed. I just, rather insanely, bought a new copy of it. :D

These things came about I gather because before Arnie Arcosta handled their mastering (from R&H onwards), Island used to do it themselves, and Larry finally started doubting how good a job they were doing. The original "JT", for example, sounds positively archaic compared to the full sonic sound of "R&H," "Achtung," and pretty much every other thing they've done.

So I gather they went back and remastered their other biggest albums to bring them more in line with the quality of their later work. I only have the remastered "JT," but it is head and shoulders above the old CD. By way of example, when Bono sings "Under a black belly of cloud in the rain", you can hear Larry come in with the percussion and it really does sound like a thunderstorm coming over the hills.

Back
Top Bottom