An Unusual Proposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCK

Acrobat
Would anyone be interested in buying me premium membership here in exchange for some bootleg CDs? My credit card is all maxed out on tuition and Christmas gifts and PayPal won't take Canadian bank accounts. I could send my membership via snail mail but it means getting off my lazy arse and going to the bank for a US money order etc. Suppose I'll do that if I don't get any offers here, lol, but it'd be much more fun to make CDs for someone who's willing to buy my membership for me in exchange. My offer includes 4 bootleg CDs (2 disc concerts only count as one selection) plus postage & handling to get your CDs to you. As a show of trust, you can wait til you receive your CDs before paying my membership. Some CDs I have available are:

Complete Boston Tapes 83
Zoo Europa Dublin 93
Popmart Sarajevo 97
Paris Elevation
Miami Elevation (final show on tour)
Irving Plaza 2000
Rock's Hottest Ticket Chicago 87
Los Angeles 87
Denver Elevation
Houston Outside Broadcast

and I only have these on cassette but would copy both to count as 1 selection:

NYC 1981 October tour (lol, I was lucky enough to be there)
KRO Studios Holland (pre-Boy)
National Stadium Dublin 1980

Profit:
Main Entry: 1prof?it
Pronunciation: 'pr?-f&t
Function: noun
1 : a valuable return : GAIN

Of course there is profit involved. It is saving them the "cost" of becoming a member.

So if I asked you to pay for cd burner if I give you X number of audio cd's that's not a "profit"? Of course it is, and this is no different than posting on ebay with $10 Buy It Now.

Thank you for the vote of confidence erised :) and to LivLuv&BootlegMusic for pointing out that this isn't a profit seeking venture.

I don't know what I've done wrong here? :sad: Aren't we allowed to buy/sell/trade here? I don't see how I can be seen as making a profit if I'm offering to make copies of several shows I have, plus pay the postage, in exchange for a $12 membership? I considered this a trade, not a money making venture. :sad: I explained my reasons why in my original message, but perhaps I've misinterpreted the rules as to what's acceptable here? Chrisedge, you could have been a bit nicer about it.

Regardless, I don't want to cause any bad feelings over this, so I'll withdraw my offer and send a money order for membership via snail mail.

Last edited:
Chrisedge, I KNOW what profit is (I just took an Econ final). The point is that LCK is not selling her CDs. She's not making money b/c she'd become a Premium member by some other means anyway. Nowhere does it say you can only trade CD-Rs for CD-Rs, VCDs for VCDs, etc, etc.....If someone had enough CDs I really wanted and I thought it was worth the value of a CD burner, I'd do it. According to your definition of profit, everything being traded here is profit b/c someone is always gaining.

LCK, I understand your position, unfortunately, I don't have PayPal and someone else here paid my Premium membership as well :(

*edited to add, LCK, you could probably work something out with Joel (Elvis) who's in charge of this site. I'm sure his e-mail address is somewhere on Interference.

Last edited:
LivLuv- Its okay sweetie, I won't bother Elvis about it, I'll just get a US money order and send it off via snail mail, but thanks. :) I'm now off to the nice warmth of Pleba - in my time zone its mid-way btw Moobday and RSOC :drool: Adam & Larry sandwich.

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this, really, I've already said I'm withdrawing my offer and will send in my membership fee via snail mail, but I'll feel better if I make something clear.

Chrisedge, you really seem rather harsh/ hasty in your judgment. If I've overstepped the boundaries of what is acceptable trading here then I apologize to the moderators, but your implication that I'm out to make money from U2 is rather presumptuous and unfair.

I was a moderator on the former Zootopia for nearly 2 years- now I'm not saying this to say the rules here should be the same or anything like that, only to point out that I am very familiar with trades/ spamming etc. I set up a sub-folder in the Albums section and U2 management didn't have a problem with this as long as I kept out the spammers (those who weren't real members but simply wanted to use the site to make money). Sometimes I had to delete or edit posts. But I did not view all of these posts the same- there were outright spammers and there were members/ newbies who simply didn't realize they had posted something that wasn't allowed. I'm sure you will concede that I fall into the latter category and not the former. I did not treat the ppl in these two categories the same- the spammers I simply deleted without notice and banned them from the folder, but the harmless posters who simply weren't clear on the rules, I would edit their post and add a friendly explanation as to why- or if necessary delete it and tell them why in a private message.

You wrote: "Of course there is profit involved. It is saving them the "cost" of becoming a member" I don't understand your logic here??? Isn't the money I "save" on membership being used to make CDs, package them up and post them? I really don't see how I stand to make some winfall on this and I resent your assertion that I'm just trying to make a profit. I have done numerous trades, and as erised mentioned above, they have been problem free. And as LivLuv points out this is not always CD for CD, video for video.... I must say I'm rather hurt to be accused of using U2 to make a buck. Not only have I traded fairly for over 2 years now, but on several occasions when newbies or the younger Zootopians (often new fans of the music not just the site) were looking for something, I sent off a CD or two without any reciprocation at all, simply happy to share or make a newcomer feel welcome. I have also been offered money for bootlegs in private msgs, emails and have turned them down and told them its against my principals.

Like I said, if what I posted was against the rules I didn't know and I'm sorry, but in the future unless someone is outright obviously spamming may I suggest you either be nicer and offer an explanation etc instead of insulting insinuations, or else report the post to one of the mods and let them make a decision on it. Never hurts to be nice. <end rant>

i personally don't have a problem with this, as it still is trading. i wouldn't consider these being sold, as LCK isn't receiving any money from this. i don't know how the rest of the mods feel though.

Last edited:
I can't believe I am the only one thinking this. I don't mean to sound "harsh", but lets say I sell a CDR copy of Irving Plaza (1 cdr) for $5.00, I made a profit. What I do with that money doesn't matter. Would it be ok if I took it and bought a U2 Calendar? or got a membership here? No. If two people traded CDR's there is no profit, I send 2 CDRs with a show on it, and I get 2 CDRs back. Equal value of "merchandise" exchanged.

If LCK is offering to send $12 worth of CDRs to someone (About 50-100 CDRs at the going rate) fine, but to copy a couple of shows and get $12 back (Doesn't matter if it's cash, pizza money, or a premium membership) is making a profit.

No different than selling.

Sorry if I got anyone upset, but I see zero difference, in trading a few shows for membership and trading a few shows for cash. It's not trading cdr for cdr.

LCK is NOT receiving $12. The rules say you can't sell commercially for profit. She's obviously not trying to make a business out of this, she just wants a membership, for goodness sakes!

"This is where you can list any U2 collectibles to trade, buy, or sell.This is NOT intended for commercial vendors, or similar activity. Ask questions and get information about U2 collecting. CDRs MAY ONLY BE TRADED, high quality/non-mp3 source"

CDRs may only be traded. It doesnt say you may trade CDR in exchange for other services or products of greater value (which yes means that person would profit). This to me says CDR for CDR only which is an equal exchange so I think ChrisEdge is probebly correct in his assessment. You could split hairs over this kind of stuff all day really. IE, say someone decided they would convert a VHS video tape to DVDR for a "friend" knowing that "friend" plans to sell the DVD being created for exorbitant amounts. Is the person doing the converting participating in the selling. You could argue that they are at least indirectly. Its a gray line, but I will say that $12 is a HUGE difference from a professional bootlegger or a exorbitant sale of a bootleg item.

I guess my point would be who really cares, this isnt a huge deal and doesnt need to be made into one. But I would agree that "technically" it is a for profit situation. LCK said they are dropping it anyway, so maybe the rest of us should also.

My question though would be if things are so tight you cant afford a $12 premium membership, is a premium membership something you really need that badly? I guess its all about priorities. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
My question though would be if things are so tight you cant afford a $12 premium membership, is a premium membership something you really need that badly? I guess its all about priorities. Just my 2 cents. [/B]

What a horrid presumption! You have some nerve to make such an uncalled for statement about me and to question my priorities! Did I say I was broke? I said I had just put my tuition plus my Christmas shopping on my VISA. I'm a grad student, but I also have a decent job in an elementary school, a family, etc. I would hardly be looking at online memberships if I couldn't afford it. If you had read my original post correctly you would have understood the part about PayPal not accepting Canadian dollar bank accounts. And, judging by past trades I have made, buying the blank CDs, the bubble wrap packaging and most esp the postage & handling would cost me at *least* $12. You should be ashamed of yourself for bringing such nasty pettiness into what was essentially a closed issue. :shame:

I don't believe this, all I wanted was to be a member here, all that was needed to be said was a simple and POLITE "sorry you can only trade CDs for other CDs, not membership" Not everyone even appears to feel that way. Instead, because of an innocent mistake as someone unfamiliar with this area of Interference (you could take some lessons in manners and friendliness from PLEBA & Dream Out Loud), I am treated like a spammer or an opportunist, and even my personal prioties called into question. I don't even want to be a member now. :sad:

Last edited:
LOL, relax, you read way to much into my post. Must have struck some kind of nerve. I just said its a question of what is important to you. I didnt say it was right or wrong. You drew that conclusion yourself, not me. I am not ashamed of anything. I wasnt the one that even called any of this into question. I will say though that even though you think I was presumptious from what you just described in your last post I dont think I was way off the mark. You may not want to see it that way though. How dare I bring up a dead issue??? LOL Check the thread, I wasnt the one that resurrected this thread after you said it was a dead issue. It was a different poster.

Look at my post, I said this was no big deal that was blown out of proportion. It is a gray area, but who cares. I see your reaction to my post as the same thing, blown way out of proportion.

Happy Holidays! :)

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
IE, say someone decided they would convert a VHS video tape to DVDR for a "friend" knowing that "friend" plans to sell the DVD being created for exorbitant amounts. Is the person doing the converting participating in the selling. You could argue that they are at least indirectly.

You are really too funny :)

Edited to add:
And I really ultimately have no problem with this, but it is selling and someone is profiting. If you want to discuss offline, please email me....

Last edited:
LCK said:
...you could take some lessons in manners and friendliness from PLEBA & Dream Out Loud), I am treated like a spammer or an opportunist, and even my personal prioties called into question. I don't even want to be a member now. :sad:

Between *Wolverine*, Blue Room, Mayflower and Myself, this place is quite friendly. See the above post/jab by Blue Room for an example. We all really love each other though. :sick:

(Sorry if I left any of the "friendlies" out)

Lynne is right, all in good fun. LOL My post was more to get my jab in! LOL ;) Some people (myself included at times) take this stuff way to seriously. Rarities, hoarding, buying, selling, etc........ Its all minor stuff here when you think about it. It boils down to we are all pretty passionate about U2's music and I guess that drives some of it. But I think all of us need to step back at times and keep it in perspective.

Blue Room said:

My question though would be if things are so tight you cant afford a $12 premium membership, is a premium membership something you really need that badly? I guess its all about priorities. Just my 2 cents.

Did you read the inital post?

I guess I don't see what the fuss is. When I read the initial post I just figured that this would be easier for LCK since she lives in Canada. I have no clue what the exchange rate is but I'm sure LCK would pay more for a membership then I would. If I had an extra $12.00 to spare right now I'd take her up on her offer. She offered CD's in a trading forum where CD's are not supposed to be sold. What if she would have offered something else. Would that have made it ok?

I just don't see why this has escalated into such a big deal. I've seen thread's started in other parts of Interference for people to have a membership sponsored for them. At least LCK is offering something in return.

I guess if this was someone living in the US then I would have said they could save up the $12.00 or at least $2.00 for a one month membership. But there's an exchange rate and Paypal won't work for LCK so I guess I don't see this a big deal.

arw9797 said:

Did you read the inital post?

and did you read my other post?? LOL Obviously not.
Look, its no big deal for crying out loud. I guess I didnt word what I was trying to say very well. But the body of my initial post had nothing to do with what you and your buddy are freaking out about.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

and did you read my other post?? LOL Obviously not.
Look, its no big deal for crying out loud. I guess I didnt word what I was trying to say very well. But the body of my initial post had nothing to do with what you and your buddy are freaking out about.

I'm not freaking out about anything. Yes I did read your other post but I thought what I quoted you on sounded like you didn't read LCK's original post. I just asked if you read it. I didn't freak out about anything.

Why do you assume LCK and I are buddies? Because I didn't like how this situation was handled? I have no clue who she is other then seeing her around the forum. I just came to the trading area's to see if there was anything worth my while tonight because I haven't traded with anyone for a while. I read this thread and just don't see why anyone made a big deal about it.

Wow, I know how to stir it up!

Bottomline, trading an unequal "cost" of CDRs with stuff on them for something else (Cash or Merchandise) is profiting off the music that is on them.

I know Interference wants it's money, but I see it no differently than selling 4 shows for $12.00 (Cheap yes, right no)

Somebody take her up on it, so she can get it, and be done with it.

And don't jump all over Mr. Blue Room. That's my job.

Wow, I'm glad this is all done in good humour....:uhoh: remind me not to get on anyone's bad sides :lol:

The stipulation in this forum (just so everyone is clear) means that commercial vendors aren't welcome, nor people who wish to cash in excessively on an item/s, nor those after a free ride etc. LCK is neither of those. Not many people come through here which are. Premium memberships are often given as gifts which is what this pretty much would be. As a thankyou for helping out, LCK would send some gratuitous boots. A friendly gesture in return for another.

I think its a novel idea and if anyone wants to do trades like this for whatever reason then feel free to suggest it. If anything suggested on here is a bad idea, it will be dealt with then. If the 2 parties involved are supportive, then great. We will not support situations where hawking or commercial vending is the intention. Sorry to continue this on LCK, but I wanted to offer this to further describe where Interference stands.

:)

Angela Harlem said:
Wow, I'm glad this is all done in good humour....:uhoh: remind me not to get on anyone's bad sides :lol:

:)

Good humour indeed. Well Chrisedge and Blue Room, pull up a chair and listen- that's okay I don't bite- lol, well actually I do but live dangerously for a moment.

If you guys want to take the p*ss with each other, fine. But when you do it with people outside your own schoolyard group its like blindsiding them. They don't know your personalities well enough to know when you're angry/ mocking/ joking etc, they don't know the inside jokes, yada yada yada. Put simply its not fighting/ playing fair.

Secondly, I came here to play nice. That is why you received the more rational, sanitized, :censored: version of my replies. I have seen enough online arguments/ flame wars etc to be tired of it. But I also have enough practise, that should I choose to take the p*ss with you lads, I could hang you both by your own colons (figuratively speaking of course :angel: ) with one hand while calmly eating a sandwich with the other. But I find this site a breath of fresh air imho.

Thank you to those who defended me and for the mods for clarifying things. I was touched by several offers I received to give me membership for trades or sponsorship etc. I think the only thing I'll feel right about at this point tho, and to close this, is if I send Elvis a US money order via snail mail. (Now, now Blue Room, don't you get your knickers in a knot worrying about me, I've cleaned out the family piggy bank, cashed in some empty beer bottles for refund, and I"m almost up to $12. There's an old rubby who is usually at a park bench not too far from here, if I can catch him while he's sleeping off a bender, I should be able to roll enough loose change out of his pockets to put me over the top). Would anyone give me a book of US-postage stamps if I send them a dodgy DVD in exchange? :shifty: (there's emoticons for everything, how cool is that).

So anyway, since Chrisedge cleverly foiled my plans for early retirement in living off the proceeds of my original offer, that's what I'm going to do, send in my snail mail membership. Then I can go back to the warm fuzziness of PLEBA and post pics. Everybody's happy. Something perverse in me tho can't help wondering if the dastardly duo comedy team of Chrisedge & Blue Room are over in the mp3 trading folder as well. I am soooo tempted to go over there and offer mp3s in exchange for cybersex and watch them get all medieval about it :lol:

Thanks again to all the sweeties for their offers & support. :hug:

LCK, I'm really sorry your plans for retirement were foiled. Who knows maybe your plan for the MP3 forum could work?

Thanks for a great early morning laugh.

LCK said:
If you guys want to take the p*ss with each other, fine. But when you do it with people outside your own schoolyard group its like blindsiding them. They don't know your personalities well enough to know when you're angry/ mocking/ joking etc, they don't know the inside jokes, yada yada yada. Put simply its not fighting/ playing fair.

I still find what you did wrong, and my original post wasn't a joke, mocking or angry.

I may get mod slapped for this, I find it unusual that Santa Bono's offer gets banned (Xmas Cards for sale) yet a offer to exchange CDR's for a membership doesn't? At the end of the day it's like Interference is condoning selling bootlegs to line it's own pocketbooks. Take it how you like, I think the mods should have thought this one out a little more.

Trading allowed on here should be like for like.

End of discussion for me....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom