A line-up question about Lovetown bootlegs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
So...they played with BB King orchestra then, but was that during that whole tour or just on particular days?

Are there bootlegs with, say, Angel of Harlem with only U2 playing?

BB King opened the entire Lovetown tour.
Angel of Harlem was played extensively by just U2 on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour.

Prior to that the only full band electric version played without BB King's band was at the SMILE Jamaica show in October of 1988. They also played When Love Comes To Town and Love Rescue Me without BB King. Although Keith Richards played with them on Love Comes To Town and Rescue Me and Ziggy Marley also joined in on Love Rescue me.

Of note, acoustic U2 only versions of When Love Comes To Town and Angel Of Harlem were played extensively on the Zoo TV, Outside Broadcast and Zooropa tours.

Last edited:
Angel Of Harlem was played electric on the first leg of Zoo TV, at least at the shows I attended. Also, if you check out the video from the 1992-02-29 Lakeland show on my FTP, Edge is clearly visible playing a Strat - although Larry is playing only bongos. Later in the tour Edge switched to an acoustic and Larry played a full drum set on AOH.

BB218 said:
Angel Of Harlem was played electric on the first leg of Zoo TV, at least at the shows I attended. Also, if you check out the video from the 1992-02-29 Lakeland show on my FTP, Edge is clearly visible playing a Strat - although Larry is playing only bongos. Later in the tour Edge switched to an acoustic and Larry played a full drum set on AOH.

I disagree. At ALL Zoo TV shows on the first leg Larry played the bongos and Edge and Bono played acoustic guitars while they were on the b stage. That is not a full band electric version IMO.

Attached to this message is a short (5 sec) video clip from February 29, 1992 - the first show of the first leg of Zoo TV. The video's not great quality, but in it The Edge is clearly visible playing a black Fender Strat. It was also performed this way at the March 3 show in Charlotte and the March 5 show in Atlanta - I was there and I remember thinking it would be cool if had played it acoustic. I'm not sure how many other shows on that leg it was played electric, but I know it was at those three at least.

BB

Attachments

• 1992-02-29.mpg
    966 KB
BB218 said:
Attached to this message is a short (5 sec) video clip from February 29, 1992 - the first show of the first leg of Zoo TV. The video's not great quality, but in it The Edge is clearly visible playing a black Fender Strat. It was also performed this way at the March 3 show in Charlotte and the March 5 show in Atlanta - I was there and I remember thinking it would be cool if had played it acoustic. I'm not sure how many other shows on that leg it was played electric, but I know it was at those three at least.

BB

I have all of those recordings. If you listen to them they do not "Sound" electric at all. Larry on the bongos is not a full band electric version IMO either.

Dallas Schoo indicated at the time that Edge had a Fender Strat that sounded like an acoustic guitar when played with all of Edge's effects. This is what he used on the 1st leg on the B stage. Later he switched to a regular acoustic guitar as he was having problems with the Strat.

So I still stand by my statement. Those versions are not full band electric versions like whate was played on Lovetown and even Elevation 3rd leg for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom