12" Where The Streets Have No Name Single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexvilagosh

War Child
I got it today... AU$12, couldn't resist for my favourite song!

Side A: 1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Race Against Time
Side B: 1. Silver And Gold
2. Sweetest Thing

So my question is, is it rare at all, or just another common 12". I hadn't seen it around at all.

It doesn't have a picture on it... just a plain black slip. I dunno if it's meant to, I thought it might be a promo or something. I know the one on the 7" though...

I bought my 12" back in '87 or '88 or whenever it came out. It has a pic of Adam in Bodie on it. Maybe you have an Aussie pressing.

Marty knows about these things. Blue Room, too. One of them will show up eventually.

Hello,

I had spotted this thread before. :tongue:
But without catalog numbers I don't think I can be of much use.

Come to think of it, I think I also have a 12" of WTSHNN. I have to look that up, as I'm not sure.
http://www.u2wanderer.org only lists 7"singles and a 5"CD single in their discography as being promo items and all 12" editions are listed as having a picture sleeve. So I fear you have an incomplete copy, one without a sleeve. :(
Sorry to bring it to you. :|
At least the music is great! :wink:

C ya!

Marty

I'am no expert on this one. However, I have seen the Streets 12" at a few record shows in the day that did not have the Adam picture sleeve. From what I recall the Streets 12" vinyl was reissued a year or so after 87 and it did not contain the picture sleeve. I dont believe it is any kind of rarity.

The only semi rare things from this period were the original CD singles from the Joshua Tree. They came in cardboard gatefolds with the same pics on the front as the 12" vinyl versions. They were later reissued by a German manufacturer (all of U2's 12"s were released in fact) in a jewel case format which are not as rare. These are not the original singles however. The original gatefold ones are a semi rarity though, they were one of the first CD singles to be put out and were not manufactured in the enormous numbers the vinyl version were. Again, not a huge deal though. Everything beyond October for U2 had tons of pressings which makes it so there are no huge rare collectible official items for that time frame. The only other one that I have and that I'am aware of was the promo CD Rattle And Hum Excerpts. This contained 5 songs (incl. In Gods Country, Bad and With Or Without You all Live and the studio versions of Hawkmoon and God Part II) and was only released to radio stations. An odd item that came in a rough beige gate fold with U2's emblem from that time frame on the front and a picture inside the gatefold of U2 laughing (unusual for this time frame).

Again, someone else probebly has more detail or knows more, they can probebly answer your questions for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought it could be incomplete, but it's Streets, I couldn't leave it there! :p But then it may not be incomplete, so thats good news. I had never heard the track Race Against Time before...

I have it on the 5"CD single. Ah, the good old days when those were rereleased. Every few weeks, when I had collected enough pocket money I would go to the music store and buy one of those singles. Being a new U2 fan I didn't know much about the songs, so I bought those with the longest running time first! :D IIRC, WTSHNN was one of the first in my collection, although surely after WLCTT (and maybe NYD).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Every U2 purchase is a good purchase! :p

You'd never heard 'Race Against Time' Before? Wow! That's worth buying Streets on 12" on it's own! I love that song, even if the Bass sounds a little too similar to Roger Waters' fantastic bass playing on Pink Floyd's- One of These Days It's still brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom