Zooropa 1993 - Preshow Playlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pulle30

Babyface
Hi Guys

I know this is a long shot, but for many years I've had a certain song in my head which got played at the Zooropa preshows (I heard it twice). I've been to many U2 concerts so I know the preshow playlists are quite similar, so maybe there's a list out there.
A few years back I tried to mail BP Fallon, but I received no reply :)
The song I'm looking for? Really difficult for me to describe but it's kind of a chilled house number. Instrumental. As is the case with electronic music it repeats a theme: like a sound of a church bell (or something similar) and as it progresses an organ takes over and becomes more "freestylish" as if Ray Manzarek from the Doors came by the studio and chipped in.

But I guess the best shot here is if anyone has a list of played numbers from preshow, then I could run through that list.
Thanks!

Sadly no! :) But that's quite a good record!
The track is much more electronic. With all the genres/subgenres I dare not to label it. I hear it loud and clear in my head, but I can only say that it has no singing, a lot of organ (at the end) and the repeating bell.

I could almost guarantee it's not PS. U2 were not big fans of them back then.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It was played at most if not all the Zooropa gigs in London, just can't remember how early on in the set it was, think it was pretty early. I was a bit of a fan at the time so it sticks in the mind, but yeah, the band themselves weren't too keen on PS.

I could almost guarantee it's not PS. U2 were not big fans of them back then.

Seems it quite changed as on 360 tour they frequently snippeted Movin' on up after ISHWILF and I remember the interview after Glastonbury where they spoke very warm about Primal Scream. Just out of curiosity, because I'm a big fan of PS, my favourite band after U2 - do you remember what exactly U2 were saying about PS back then in the 90's?

Seems it quite changed as on 360 tour they frequently snippeted Movin' on up after ISHWILF and I remember the interview after Glastonbury where they spoke very warm about Primal Scream. Just out of curiosity, because I'm a big fan of PS, my favourite band after U2 - do you remember what exactly U2 were saying about PS back then in the 90's?

I think, and I could be wrong, that Primal Scream had slagged off U2 and U2 had taken offence. Also, I think Primal Scream had beaten U2 to the Mercury Prize and our heroes were a bit miffed.

Last edited:

I think it's in UTEOTW but Bono went on a bit of a tantrum when he found out they beat U2 for some award. It was basically about why would someone reward being 'derivative' and being a 'rehash' over what he felt like U2 we're doing at the time, trying to push boundaries.

Thanks guys, didn't know that story, have to finally read At the End of the World one day!

You absolutely need to read it immediately.

Also, Bono must have gotten over it because Movin' On Up was part of the pre-show music on Elevation.

Could it be Jaydee's "Plastic Dreams"?

OH YES IT COULD BE. OH YES YES YES YES!!!!
Thank you sooo much! This song has haunted me for years ?
I'm immediately thrown back to the preshow in Cologne 12th of June 1993. Amazing!!

Early 90s trance was better than we used to think back in the day. That song and Robert Armani's "Circus Bells" are great and I always relate them to the Zooropean philosophy. Wouldn't it be great if we all created a playlist with the songs we recall opening those shows? Once we have that Oakenfold stuff we might well start considering Howie B's tracks before the Popmart gigs.

haha great result, must be a great feeling hearing it again after all that time. :)

Thanks guys, didn't know that story, have to finally read At the End of the World one day!
You absolutely need to read it immediately.

definitely! can't recommend that book enough, used to be a lot of copies on eBay going for next to nothing so anyone who hasn't read it, check it out.

what a great response! love it!

I've listened to this too and it's sounds familiar but I can't be sure. At Cardiff in 93 there was a strange section between (before or after) Macnas and the Stereo MCs (who were amazing) involving Pink Floyd like huge surrealist vaccum cleaners coming on stage.. was this song played around that transition? Is there footage of this stuff or am I loosing my marbles ?!

Back
Top Bottom