ZOO TV Sydney format - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:25 PM
ZOO TV Sydney format

I know we wont get ZOO TV Sydney in Blu-ray, but it would be nice to have it in 16:9. I thought that would be impossible, since the original videotape and the DVD was in 4:3.

But a few weeks ago I watched the rock documentary Seven Ages Of Rock, where Neil McCormick and others praise the band and we see clips from Zoo TV Sydney. The clips are in 16:9! And they don't seem to be stretched, but I'm not sure. I can't find any clips on youtube, so I can't give you any examples.

My question is: was it filmed in 16:9 and do you think it's possible, we will get it in that format in the new box sets?

On the other hand, then why didn't they release it in 16:9, when they made the DVD in the first place.

My guess is, they just cut top and bottom for the documentary, but it doesn't look that way. Anyone have that documentary and can check it? It's a mystery to me

beachball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachball View Post
My question is: was it filmed in 16:9 and do you think it's possible, we will get it in that format in the new box sets?
No.
It wasn't filmed in 16:9 (back then 16:9 video cameras (not film cameras) did not exist). And it'll not be in that format on the boxset. Because to get it to 16:9 you'd either have to stretch the image or cut from the top and bottom, both of which are undesirable.

Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Refugee

I thought they used film cameras!!

Well, in that case, it would be undesirable, I agree with you.

I guess, for the documentary, they just chose some frames, that looked good, but for the whole concert, it would be a catastrophe.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 02:25 PM
can anyone confirm if they used video or film to record the concert?
adamkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What you saw was just video that was cropped/reframed to 16:9. And probably upscaled.

All the U2 early concert releases, as far I know, were shot on video. It would have been way too expensive to shoot on film. This is why it's unlikely we will ever see a Blu-Ray of ZOOTV or anything pre-Vertigo. The Vertigo Chicago show, U23D and 360 were certainly shot using HD equipment, and I'm sure there will be a Blu-Ray release of U23D and Chicago at some point.

R&H of course, is the exception, and what shot entirely on (low grade) film, but even that is going to need to be restored before the film elements start to break down. It sorely needs a new HD transfer, as the current Blu-Ray looks like a crap upscale from the DVD release. Unfortunately, Paramount, not U2, holds the rights to all the R&H footage, so I'm not holding my breath on that happening.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Refugee

So sad that an epic show like Zoo TV was not shot on film.

But at least I forget about the format, when I'm watching it. I was just wondering about it when I saw the documentary.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachball View Post
So sad that an epic show like Zoo TV was not shot on film.

But at least I forget about the format, when I'm watching it. I was just wondering about it when I saw the documentary.
Yeah. Of course, U2 can release anything they like. They could upscale the pre-Vertigo concerts for Blu-Ray and release them on that format, but they'd probably end up looking not much better, and possibly even worse, than the DVD's.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Refugee

No, we don't need that!

What i was hoping for was, if the show was originally filmed in widescreen and cropped for 4:3, because that was the format for most TV screens back in the day, maybe we could get a better quality now. If not Blu-ray, then at least 16:9.

But I would hate it if they upscaled it.

I didn't even buy a 40" flat screen, only 32", because I was afraid all my old U2 concerts would look grainy, when the TV upscales automatically. Sharp quality is better than a big screen.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah. What's really a pity is the whole mess with Rattle & Hum. There are thousands of hours of footage just sitting in a Paramount vault deteriorating somewhere, and we will likely never see any of it...at least in any kind of finished form.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Surely they could still put it on blu ray. Maybe it would be at least 720p as apposed to 570p or whatever DVD's are.....
bono_man2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Y2K
Refugee

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Surely they could still put it on blu ray. Maybe it would be at least 720p as apposed to 570p or whatever DVD's are.....
480i?
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

That sounds about right. Surely they still the a less compressed version sitting the in archives that would make for an awesome blu ray.

Out of curiosity, what was popmart filmed with?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Red Rocks 83, Live Aid 85, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01 were all videotaped, which means NO HD versions are possible. They could crop and upscale to 16x9 but all would look worse.

Rattle & Hum footage was FILMED (probably on both 16mm & 35mm film cameras) so they have and could release anything that was filmed for R&H in HD.

Chicago 05 was shot in HD (video), shown on HD Net (incomplete) and was supposed to get released in HD DVD and Blu Ray if I am not mistaken, but it was never done/released. I would imagine Milan 05 was also shot in HD.

Obviously they use HD cameras now, and we did get Rose Bowl 09 in HD.
Chrisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Oh well, at least having them on Blu Ray would be a bit of novelty
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Red Rocks 83, Live Aid 85, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01 were all videotaped, which means NO HD versions are possible. They could crop and upscale to 16x9 but all would look worse.

Rattle & Hum footage was FILMED (probably on both 16mm & 35mm film cameras) so they have and could release anything that was filmed for R&H in HD.

Chicago 05 was shot in HD (video), shown on HD Net (incomplete) and was supposed to get released in HD DVD and Blu Ray if I am not mistaken, but it was never done/released. I would imagine Milan 05 was also shot in HD.

Obviously they use HD cameras now, and we did get Rose Bowl 09 in HD.
Well, thanks for restating what I did above.

The issue with R&H of course is that U2 doesn't own the rights to the footage...making a future release of "new" material from that album problematic.

Tags
format, zoo tv