ZOO TV Sydney format

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachball

Refugee
I know we wont get ZOO TV Sydney in Blu-ray, but it would be nice to have it in 16:9. I thought that would be impossible, since the original videotape and the DVD was in 4:3.

But a few weeks ago I watched the rock documentary Seven Ages Of Rock, where Neil McCormick and others praise the band and we see clips from Zoo TV Sydney. The clips are in 16:9! And they don't seem to be stretched, but I'm not sure. I can't find any clips on youtube, so I can't give you any examples.

My question is: was it filmed in 16:9 and do you think it's possible, we will get it in that format in the new box sets?

On the other hand, then why didn't they release it in 16:9, when they made the DVD in the first place.

My guess is, they just cut top and bottom for the documentary, but it doesn't look that way. Anyone have that documentary and can check it? It's a mystery to me :wink:

My question is: was it filmed in 16:9 and do you think it's possible, we will get it in that format in the new box sets?

No.
It wasn't filmed in 16:9 (back then 16:9 video cameras (not film cameras) did not exist). And it'll not be in that format on the boxset. Because to get it to 16:9 you'd either have to stretch the image or cut from the top and bottom, both of which are undesirable.

I thought they used film cameras!!

Well, in that case, it would be undesirable, I agree with you.

I guess, for the documentary, they just chose some frames, that looked good, but for the whole concert, it would be a catastrophe.

What you saw was just video that was cropped/reframed to 16:9. And probably upscaled.

All the U2 early concert releases, as far I know, were shot on video. It would have been way too expensive to shoot on film. This is why it's unlikely we will ever see a Blu-Ray of ZOOTV or anything pre-Vertigo. The Vertigo Chicago show, U23D and 360 were certainly shot using HD equipment, and I'm sure there will be a Blu-Ray release of U23D and Chicago at some point.

R&H of course, is the exception, and what shot entirely on (low grade) film, but even that is going to need to be restored before the film elements start to break down. It sorely needs a new HD transfer, as the current Blu-Ray looks like a crap upscale from the DVD release. Unfortunately, Paramount, not U2, holds the rights to all the R&H footage, so I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

So sad that an epic show like Zoo TV was not shot on film.

But at least I forget about the format, when I'm watching it. I was just wondering about it when I saw the documentary.

So sad that an epic show like Zoo TV was not shot on film.

But at least I forget about the format, when I'm watching it. I was just wondering about it when I saw the documentary.

Yeah. Of course, U2 can release anything they like. They could upscale the pre-Vertigo concerts for Blu-Ray and release them on that format, but they'd probably end up looking not much better, and possibly even worse, than the DVD's.

No, we don't need that!

What i was hoping for was, if the show was originally filmed in widescreen and cropped for 4:3, because that was the format for most TV screens back in the day, maybe we could get a better quality now. If not Blu-ray, then at least 16:9.

But I would hate it if they upscaled it.

I didn't even buy a 40" flat screen, only 32", because I was afraid all my old U2 concerts would look grainy, when the TV upscales automatically. Sharp quality is better than a big screen.

Yeah. What's really a pity is the whole mess with Rattle & Hum. There are thousands of hours of footage just sitting in a Paramount vault deteriorating somewhere, and we will likely never see any of it...at least in any kind of finished form.

That sounds about right. Surely they still the a less compressed version sitting the in archives that would make for an awesome blu ray.

Out of curiosity, what was popmart filmed with?

Red Rocks 83, Live Aid 85, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01 were all videotaped, which means NO HD versions are possible. They could crop and upscale to 16x9 but all would look worse.

Rattle & Hum footage was FILMED (probably on both 16mm & 35mm film cameras) so they have and could release anything that was filmed for R&H in HD.

Chicago 05 was shot in HD (video), shown on HD Net (incomplete) and was supposed to get released in HD DVD and Blu Ray if I am not mistaken, but it was never done/released. I would imagine Milan 05 was also shot in HD.

Obviously they use HD cameras now, and we did get Rose Bowl 09 in HD.

Red Rocks 83, Live Aid 85, Sydney 93, Mexico 97, Boston 01, Slane 01 were all videotaped, which means NO HD versions are possible. They could crop and upscale to 16x9 but all would look worse.

Rattle & Hum footage was FILMED (probably on both 16mm & 35mm film cameras) so they have and could release anything that was filmed for R&H in HD.

Chicago 05 was shot in HD (video), shown on HD Net (incomplete) and was supposed to get released in HD DVD and Blu Ray if I am not mistaken, but it was never done/released. I would imagine Milan 05 was also shot in HD.

Obviously they use HD cameras now, and we did get Rose Bowl 09 in HD.

Well, thanks for restating what I did above. :)

The issue with R&H of course is that U2 doesn't own the rights to the footage...making a future release of "new" material from that album problematic.

I am wondering now if the Sydney copy in the boxsets will be the exact same transfer as the original dvd? Would be nice if it was a new copy cleaned up a bit, because imo sydney is a really bad looking dvd! As bono_man2002 said surely the source is better quality thus we could get a better quality dvd. If it was filmed on video we will never see a blu ray.

I am wondering now if the Sydney copy in the boxsets will be the exact same transfer as the original dvd? Would be nice if it was a new copy cleaned up a bit, because imo sydney is a really bad looking dvd! As bono_man2002 said surely the source is better quality thus we could get a better quality dvd. If it was filmed on video we will never see a blu ray.

If they didn't remaster the album you can bet they didn't do a new transfer for the DVD. That's expensive to do, and there's really no economic reason for them to do so. My guess is that the Super and Uber Deluxe sets just contain unsold copies of the existing DVD release. At the very least it's the exact same pressing.

I think what we see is the best this release is ever going to look. There's just not much they can do with the SD content other than some cleaning up and tweaking.

The issue with R&H of course is that U2 doesn't own the rights to the footage...making a future release of "new" material from that album problematic.

I think this isn't entirely correct. I think U2 sold the distribution rights of Rattle & Hum to Paramount, but I think they own everything else related to R&H. Keep in mind that U2 financed the movie themselves and only went shopping around the various film studios after the movie was shot and edited. They presented the final cut, film studios had no influence on that. So in that sense I think that U2 own the rights to the footage (also, on the VHS release of The Best Of 1980-1990 they included a video of One Tree Hill shot during the R&H filming).

Its kinda funny when U look at the ZooTV stage now and compare it to the Claw.
At the time way back in the early 90's the stage looked so big.

It all looks so tiny now compared to the Claw lol!

I think this isn't entirely correct. I think U2 sold the distribution rights of Rattle & Hum to Paramount, but I think they own everything else related to R&H. Keep in mind that U2 financed the movie themselves and only went shopping around the various film studios after the movie was shot and edited. They presented the final cut, film studios had no influence on that. So in that sense I think that U2 own the rights to the footage (also, on the VHS release of The Best Of 1980-1990 they included a video of One Tree Hill shot during the R&H filming).

Hmmmm. I'm not so sure about that. R&H among my favorites, and I've followed this pretty closely. My understanding is that U2 initially intended to finance the film themselves, and just distribute it as kind of art house film. But when cost started to skyrocket (it was budgeted at around a million, went over 5 million+, which was a lot to them back then), they sold the rights to the film to Paramount, including most of the existing footage, for around the 5 mil they put into it. Once Paramount got involved, it became the wide release, heavily promoted film we know today. And I don't believe the film was complete when Paramount bought it because Larry and Edge in particular have made some comments about needing to change the tone & purpose of the film for a widespread release (the interviews, etc). And they definitely had a wide release in mind when they were editing it. Some of this is described in McCormick's book.

And I'm almost certain Paramount owns rights to the bulk of the raw footage in addition to the completed film. For one, McGuinness said as much in an interview (it was with a music business trade pub if I'm not mistaken, but I can't remember which one) about the time U23D came out that the band tried to buy back R&H from the studio but couldn't come to terms. Part of the rationale was he said U2 would like to use new and existing footage for some future release. But film studios are notorious for not letting properties go, and in any even they know U2 has deep pockets now and would likely demand a mint for them.

For another, it would be a very unusual business practice, by Hollywood standards, for Paramount to buy the "finished" film but not the rights to the unused footage. As far I know, it wasn't just a distribution deal...Paramount essentially bought R&H for the 5 mil U2 put into it. In any event, I'm certain that selling the film to Paramount is something U2 regrets now.

The problem is that the movie was shot on low grade film stock, which was common for concert films of the day. They just couldn't afford to shoot thousands of hours on high grade film. So if we are EVER going to see an expanded R&H with new footage (or new, completed footage in any form), someone is going to have to do a proper restoration on it. Which is expensive. And there's no indication Paramount see's an economic incentive to do it (they didn't even bother to do a new transfer for the Blu-Ray release), and apparently U2 is not expressing any renewed interest in buying it back.

Obviously your correct that U2 owns all the songs from R&H and anything that appeared on the album. I'm not sure about the One Tree Hill video, but that was likely just authorized from Paramount. But the film and footage itself I'm pretty sure still belongs to the film studio, unless something has changed. But I could be wrong about my timelines of the events, so if you have anything that contradicts this I'd love to see it.

There's a blu ray out here for the Aussie Rules Grand Final last year that happened to be a tie. Now there was a "replay" the following week.

My point is the drawn match was filmed in HD, the replay filmed in SD. Both games are available on blu ray. So to never say U2 will "never" put any of those shows onto a HD format is a bit ridiculous, even if they aren't going to be in true HD format.

There's a blu ray out here for the Aussie Rules Grand Final last year that happened to be a tie. Now there was a "replay" the following week.

My point is the drawn match was filmed in HD, the replay filmed in SD. Both games are available on blu ray. So to never say U2 will "never" put any of those shows onto a HD format is a bit ridiculous, even if they aren't going to be in true HD format.

I don't think anyone said it would "never" happen. At least I didn't. But what would be ridiculous is putting out SD content in a Blu-Ray format. It would result in no real picture improvement, and in fact would likely look worse. What would the point of it be?

I don't think anyone said it would "never" happen. At least I didn't. But what would be ridiculous is putting out SD content in a Blu-Ray format. It would result in no real picture improvement, and in fact would likely look worse. What would the point of it be?

Exactly. :wink:

achtung-baby-uber-deluxe-set.jpg

(Fly shades....really?)

If they didn't remaster the album you can bet they didn't do a new transfer for the DVD.

You could argue that Actung Baby does not need remastering but Sydney could do with a scrub up! Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom