ZOO TV Sydney format

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. :wink:

achtung-baby-uber-deluxe-set.jpg

(Fly shades....really?)

Ummmm. OK.

Drunk posting. Not cool

Sydney could stand to be re-filmed entirely. Not possible, unfortunately. I love that DVD, but the video quality... isn't exactly beautiful.

Ummmm. OK.

Drunk posting. Not cool

My point is, clearly U2's management think we will buy anything the throw at us. All for the low low price of $300+ that includes some stuff that they labelled themselves (that's U2's management I'm talking about) as "inferior" when AB was "leaked" back before its release.

Its kinda funny when U look at the ZooTV stage now and compare it to the Claw.
At the time way back in the early 90's the stage looked so big.

It all looks so tiny now compared to the Claw lol!

I wonder if that is a visual illusion, because the ZooTV screens were really huge. Think of the large screen with Bono looking up at Morleigh!?

You could argue that Actung Baby does not need remastering but Sydney could do with a scrub up! Just a thought

Yes, and after hearing what some people said here about a possibility of a new transfer, I can't help getting my hopes up for a 16:9 DVD, not Blu-ray.

I said I'd hate it, if they cropped it, but hey, we always have the old DVD, if we don't like it. Mine was going to sit in the box without being used anyway.

If, however, they did a good job on it, it would be promising for the Pop/Popmart reissue in a few years time.

Expensive, yes, but people have flatscreens now and this is an epic show, part of their legacy, and they might not want it to look "old".

We also know, that Edge has probably been too busy to be able to remaster the Baby. But he wouldn't need to be in the room for a new transfer and clean up of a DVD.

If I could just get my hands on the One Tree Hill video in HD, I would be a happy girl. I think it is my favorite video of all time, and am so afraid of my own reaction, when my video tape recorder breaks down and I can't watch it anymore. :sad:

The R&H film is in serious need of a clean up and new HD transfer.

I think the current Blu Ray looks fine. It was shot on grainy black and white film stock so not sure it can look much better. The color sequences look fine as well.

If I could just get my hands on the One Tree Hill video in HD, I would be a happy girl. I think it is my favorite video of all time, and am so afraid of my own reaction, when my video tape recorder breaks down and I can't watch it anymore. :sad:

Isn't One Trill Hill on the 1980-1990 Best Of Videos DVD?

I think there might be two versions of that vid actually....Neil Jordan did one and the Phil Jonoau one, if I'm not mistaken.

Nick66 said:

I think there might be two versions of that vid actually....Neil Jordan did one and the Phil Jonoau one, if I'm not mistaken.

There isn't a 80-90 best of DVD.

No, it's a bonus on the 1980-1990 best Of Videos VHS. It's from the outtakes from Rattle and Hum, that's why, I'm mentioning it here. Last time I checked youtube, it wasn't there, now it is:

U2 - One Tree Hill - YouTube

This clip doesn't do it justice though, it's so beautiful and clear on my videotape still, as long as it lasts....

No, it's a bonus on the 1980-1990 best Of Videos VHS. It's from the outtakes from Rattle and Hum, that's why, I'm mentioning it here. Last time I checked youtube, it wasn't there, now it is:

U2 - One Tree Hill - YouTube

This clip doesn't do it justice though, it's so beautiful and clear on my videotape still, as long as it lasts....

Nice...and it's one of my favorite songs..."Poets speak their heart, then bleed for it..."

I visited One Tree Hill in New Zealand and played it on my iPod when I climbed to the top. There's a monument there now (the original tree was vanadlized)

Nick, Popmartijn mentioned it earlier in this thread when the two of you were discussing rights:

I think that U2 own the rights to the footage (also, on the VHS release of The Best Of 1980-1990 they included a video of One Tree Hill shot during the R&H filming).

Nice...and it's one of my favorite songs..."Poets speak their heart, then bleed for it..."

I visited One Tree Hill in New Zealand and played it on my iPod when I climbed to the top. There's a monument there now (the original tree was vanadlized)

One of my favorite songs too! That must have been very special for you, being there and listening to the song!

Is it just me who thinks the B&W Rattle and Hum concert footage from Denver looks gorgeous? For me it is the most beautiful concert footage I have ever seen. There's something to that stark high contrast look that it has. I always assumed it was because it was filmed in high quality. Seems not. Whatever, it looks great to me.

Is it just me who thinks the B&W Rattle and Hum concert footage from Denver looks gorgeous? For me it is the most beautiful concert footage I have ever seen. There's something to that stark high contrast look that it has. I always assumed it was because it was filmed in high quality. Seems not. Whatever, it looks great to me.

It's not that it looks awful, or unwatchable. But it's just OK.

The film clearly could use, and deserves, a new HD transfer. They basically just used the same transfer for the Blu-Ray as the DVD and didn't bother to do any restoration or clean up work on it. Actually what it really needs is a proper restoration of the film itself (it has noticeable dirt and artifacts all over it), since even a new transfer can only do some much. It also suffers from awful edge enhancement, pixilation in certain scenes, and the video conversion was using an old coec (MPEG-2). Trust me, this is NOT how the film looked in theaters, or nowhere near was good at it should ("Bad" is about as close to looking like it should as it gets).

Again, I'm not talking about the artistic, intended look of the film...I get that, the grain, lighting, etc. were all artistic choices Phil Jonau made. I'm talking about the quality of the transfer as presented on Blu-Ray and DVD. I know people think it looks fine, but it could look SO much better than it does already...not only with a new transfer, but a proper restoration. And it has nothing to do with the age of the film...look at some old films that got proper restoration and treatment, like Casablanca, to see how beautiful B&W can look on Blu-Ray when it's given proper attention.

Now, I'm not naive, I know Paramount isn't going to spring the $$$ required to give R&H the treatment it deserves, and it wouldn't be an easy restoration process, since it was shot in both B&W and color, and on top of that using different film size and types (16 & 32mm) using not the best film stock. So for the foreseeable future we're just going to have to settle for the mediocre existing product.

Having said all that, the 5.1 audio on the Blu-Ray is superb.

Back
Top Bottom