You've Never Heard U2's 'The Joshua Tree'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
she's totally right about Red Hill Mining Town and In God's Country sounding like the same song.

a lot of U2's songs sound exactly like each other. for example, these pairings:

All I Want Is You/Mofo
No Line On The Horizon/MLK
The Fly/Heartland

there's many more...

i was actually at a pool party last summer and was talking to a friend about the upcoming norman concert, when another guest basically asked "u2? who is that?" or something to that effect. He was probably mid 20's and he really had no idea who u2 is.

it's formidable that they got someone who showcases hardly any attention span to sit through an album

it's an interesting concept though

I always find it very interesting when I hear of people who have never heard the album before and they end up enjoying it.

she's totally right about Red Hill Mining Town and In God's Country sounding like the same song.

All I Want Is You/Mofo
The Fly/Heartland

there's many more...

:laugh: :up:

All I Want Is You/Mofo
The Fly/Heartland

there's many more...

:lol: Thank you Mikal, you just made my day.

This is why I don't worry about the musical opinions of the rest of my 'U2-sucks!' generation, they don't know shit about music, they think emotion (which is why I love U2 more than anyone else) equals schmaltz, and when they see similarities with contemporary music they state it in a way that seems to suggest U2 being influenced by bands 2 decades later :lol:.

And someone made the comment on the day on that site, that the 'U2 sucks' crowd does not even see the influence on their favorite artists, nor the absolute love those musicians have for U2. THANK YOU. That's what I always say.

I read to the part where he called With or Without You sentimental and syrupy and stopped in disgust. You would think an organization like NPR would hire smarter interns.

All I Want Is You/Mofo
The Fly/Heartland

there's many more...
don't forget numb and 4th of july.

I read to the part where he called With or Without You sentimental and syrupy and stopped in disgust. You would think an organization like NPR would hire smarter interns.

Not to mention that to this day WOWY sounds ahead of its time. Of course it's a hallmark, but it's not the sound of the song that makes people think WHOA! TOTALLY 80s!!!!.

Question..How does the remastered version of The Joshua Tree sound like, I mean by how it differentiates from the compressed US versions? like quality of sound? is it clearer? louder? more full?

Pretty dumb article although at least she liked "Bullet" and "Exit" - the question I asked after reading it was WHERE IS THE MENTION OF "RUNNING TO STAND STILL"?????? Really!

Question..How does the remastered version of The Joshua Tree sound like, I mean by how it differentiates from the compressed US versions? like quality of sound? is it clearer? louder? more full?

all i know is this guy didn't listen to the remastered version, he obviously listened to the version with the outro of one tree hill mistaken put in front of exit.

meanwhile, the remaster sounds amazing. it's clearer and there's much more depth, for lack of a better term.

I don't know, the person doesn't really seem to be that much of an idiot, seems to have their head in the game of music that came out post-80s, they just don't like U2. The IGC/RHMT comparison was just pathetic, though.

It sounds like the hollow space in the wallet you just emptied to purchase it.

Seriously, Exit is the only song that has been remotely modified. Perhaps it is slightly clearer, but it hardly supplants the original. If you don't own it on CD already, by all means go for it. And if you do, check out the Super Deluxe; the package itself is wonderful, possibly worth $50.

I always find it very interesting when I hear of people who have never heard the album before and they end up enjoying it.

Yes me too! Some of my friends are some 10 years younger, and I found out that they almost don't listen to albums anymore. It's all about the single hits/songs nowadays...

So I gave them some of my favourite albums: OK Computer, Born To Run, Ten, Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.
Of course they all knew some songs from these albums, but you can't imagine how much they liked the albums as a whole...Some of them are now interested to go into the back catalogues of these artists.

Probably a big reason that NLOTH was relative less succesfull to the general public is that it did not have that big hit on the radio. If people would take effort to sit and listen to the total album, a lot of them would be happily surprised!

It depends a whole lot on what you're listening through. If you've a crappy little cd player with tiny speakers? Don't bother, you won't hear the difference.
But if you have a decent sound system? The sound is clearer, sharper, and you can easily hear all the different instruments used on the songs. It's also audible when you listen with headphones.

OK the difference is that, say, if you compare a new U2 cd with Achtung Baby, AB's recordings are muddier, the guitar, bass and synths are meshed and at some parts you can't make out what's what, or what notes the bass plays and such.(I'm taking AB as an example because that is perhaps the worst mastered U2 album on this part, it's also audible with most 80s cds)

That they fixed with the JT remaster. It's a crisper sound.

I can see why they'd get RHMT and IGC confused on their first listen, I think we're all guilty of hearing two rather different tracks and confusing them as blending into one, and I don't see why there should be a deal made out of that.

I like the concept.

It sounds like the hollow space in the wallet you just emptied to purchase it.

Seriously, Exit is the only song that has been remotely modified. Perhaps it is slightly clearer, but it hardly supplants the original. If you don't own it on CD already, by all means go for it. And if you do, check out the Super Deluxe; the package itself is wonderful, possibly worth $50.

Not an accurate assessment. The mixing has undergone changes. They might be too subtle on most average to decent systems but if you've got some higher-end monitors (ie studio reference and pro in-ears) the differences definitely stand out. In those types of listening environments it's much better than the original, on most if not all the songs.

I was skeptical, given that I had been dissatisfied with the way the old U2 cds were mastered, but I was pleasantly surprised with the JT remaster, they did a good job.

So, in other words, if you have a $111110838383 stereo system, yes, the Joshua Tree remaster is for you.

Back
Top Bottom