Your unpopular U2 opinions here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Bono is an asshat, though I secretly relate to him

2. Edge is a God

3. In public, I pretend I don't like post-Achtung Baby material. The truth is, I love ATYCLB and Every Breaking Wave

4. I think Pop is mostly drivel, with the exception of Gone and Staring at the Sun

5. Zooropa is a bit ropey too (But Stay and The First Time = :drool:)

6. I like October

I have certain friends where I downplay the level of my fandom in order to fit in. People where it's only acceptable to like from 1980-1991, and I pretend to agree with them. Then on the way home I blare Songs of Innocence in all it's glory!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I also have one friend who is a super fan like me, but he is shameless about it, whereas I try to not reveal my super fan side to many people.

I find it very embarrassing when he publically displays our U2 knowledge. Like he'll say "hey Dave, remember the live version of "like a song"? They only played that once, right? Didn't they also not play "refugee" and "red light"? And I'll be embarrassed to know such an obscure fact, but I can't seem like a phony to him either. It's awkward!

U2 doesnt come up in my everyday conversation too often but when it does I am not ashamed to like U2 even though I have heard all the common arguments that they sold out to corporate greed a long time ago blah blah. In the end I still enjoy their music and I will tell people about it - but not to the nerdy fan extent.

I actually like the football video for Stuck. It's one of the first U2 videos I ever saw, and I think it's cute. It has some nostalgia value for me. Good old 2001; it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

I also thought the Elevation video was really cool when I was 14. It seems a little cheesy now (OK, maybe more than just a little), but I still like it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I actually like Peace on Earth.

:up:

I actually like the football video for Stuck. It's one of the first U2 videos I ever saw, and I think it's cute. It has some nostalgia value for me. Good old 2001; it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

I also thought the Elevation video was really cool when I was 14. It seems a little cheesy now (OK, maybe more than just a little), but I still like it.

Every now and then I'm amazed how young U2's audience is especially on this forum! You guys grew up with 00s videos it seems. We grew up with 90s videos. I'm sorry but U2 videos were soooooooooo much better in the 90s than the 00s. It's no contest really.

I was 10 when I saw the Boston DVD for the first time. It's not one of their best, but that show changed my life.

Of course, no matter which decade you grow up in, the pop culture of the time will influence you no doubt and you will always think that was the greatest time ever! I'm sure some hardcore 80s fans think that the 90s just weren't good enough in comparison.

I love the Pop-era pageantry: costumes, stage and lights, including Village People. Yes, it was totally ridiculous, but the monster set of balls it took made the whole thing appealing and hot as well.

And yeah, I conceal my level of fandom all the time. I'd never pretend not to like things I do, but I def. have to tone down the amount of detail I know. When you're talking to a casual fan and accidentally wander into 'Stockholm vs Rotterdam version of TTTYAATW' territory, that can be embarrassing.

I love the Boston DVD, I think it's a hell of a lot better than the Slane one which everyone raves on about.

I agree with you(perhaps this is now a ...popular opinion :)

I find that the arena setting vs the open field setting makes it more explosive. I like Slane but the more intimate arena setting adds to the performance.

Of all the tours I have attended...Elevation was my favorite. Vertigo was very good but the fact that they neutered Streets took it down a notch.

I also have one friend who is a super fan like me, but he is shameless about it, whereas I try to not reveal my super fan side to many people.

I find it very embarrassing when he publically displays our U2 knowledge. Like he'll say "hey Dave, remember the live version of "like a song"? They only played that once, right? Didn't they also not play "refugee" and "red light"? And I'll be embarrassed to know such an obscure fact, but I can't seem like a phony to him either. It's awkward!

This is something I never understood. Why do you find this so embarrassing? What's so shameful about knowing a lot on your favourite band? You call your friend shameless, shouldn't it be that he's actually proud of his fandom and his knowledge, while you are the one that is ashamed by it for reasons I don't understand?

I tend not to bother my friends with my U2 knowledge, but they know that if someone starts me I'll take the challenge. Then again, I don't have just a vast U2 knowledge but seem to remember random music facts anyway, so they usually use me for pubquizzes. :wink:

This is something I never understood. Why do you find this so embarrassing? What's so shameful about knowing a lot on your favourite band? You call your friend shameless, shouldn't it be that he's actually proud of his fandom and his knowledge, while you are the one that is ashamed by it for reasons I don't understand?

I tend not to bother my friends with my U2 knowledge, but they know that if someone starts me I'll take the challenge. Then again, I don't have just a vast U2 knowledge but seem to remember random music facts anyway, so they usually use me for pubquizzes. :wink:

Same here :wave:

I was 10 when I saw the Boston DVD for the first time. It's not one of their best, but that show changed my life.

Same here! I was 14 when I saw it on VH1 on Thanksgiving weekend. I recorded it onto a VHS tape and watched it over and over until I got the DVD. I still don't know why people complain about it so much; it has some great moments. I'm biased, though, since I'm so sentimental about it.

I was 10 when I saw the Boston DVD for the first time.

I was 14 when I saw it on VH1 on Thanksgiving weekend. I recorded it onto a VHS tape and watched it over and over until I got the DVD.

Really cool...

May I ask what made you interested into watching that show for the first time? was U2 THAT cool as recent as 2003 that some preteenagers were so eager to watch it and even record it? or it was a "my parents had been playing U2 to me since I was born, so..."

I remember VH1 airing a shortened version of the Boston show intermixed with footage of the band outside the arena interacting with fans I believe. I had been a fan since 92 so the 2001 era was kind of neat because it really felt like U2 were making a comeback and being more accessible and appearing on TV more than they ever did (at least in America) in the 9 years I had been a fan.

I love the Pop-era pageantry: costumes, stage and lights, including Village People. Yes, it was totally ridiculous, but the monster set of balls it took made the whole thing appealing and hot as well.

And yeah, I conceal my level of fandom all the time. I'd never pretend not to like things I do, but I def. have to tone down the amount of detail I know. When you're talking to a casual fan and accidentally wander into 'Stockholm vs Rotterdam version of TTTYAATW' territory, that can be embarrassing.

The POP music videos are still their best in my opinion. I love the 1990-2000 Best Of DVD strictly for them.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Really cool...

May I ask what made you interested into watching that show for the first time? was U2 THAT cool as recent as 2003 that some preteenagers were so eager to watch it and even record it? or it was a "my parents had been playing U2 to me since I was born, so..."

I had started liking them that summer because I liked Beautiful Day and the rest of ATYCLB (my brother downloaded it off of AudioGalaxy; remember that place!?). The first time I saw them on TV was actually U2 Does Much on MuchMusic and I thought they seemed like really nice guys, not the usual kind of rock stars, so that just made me like them even more. And then I started looking them up on the Internet and read every interview I could find and learned about their history and all the albums I had yet to listen to. And that time period was great because it seemed like every time I turned on the TV I could find something U2 related on at least one channel. They were everywhere! Also, I wrote a book report on U2 At the End of the World in 2002 when I was in eighth grade. I didn't tell my teacher about all the swearing and other adult content in there, though. :lol:

Oh, and my parents didn't like U2. They thought they were either a metal band or some New Age group for some reason.

I had started liking them that summer because I liked Beautiful Day and the rest of ATYCLB (my brother downloaded it off of AudioGalaxy; remember that place!?). The first time I saw them on TV was actually U2 Does Much on MuchMusic and I thought they seemed like really nice guys, not the usual kind of rock stars, so that just made me like them even more. And then I started looking them up on the Internet and read every interview I could find and learned about their history and all the albums I had yet to listen to. And that time period was great because it seemed like every time I turned on the TV I could find something U2 related on at least one channel. They were everywhere! Also, I wrote a book report on U2 At the End of the World in 2002 when I was in eighth grade. I didn't tell my teacher about all the swearing and other adult content in there, though. :lol:

Oh, and my parents didn't like U2. They thought they were either a metal band or some New Age group for some reason.

Very cool story - I hope some people will have some cools stories about SOI years down the line.

I got into bomb when I was about 15 or so, loved Vertigo on the radio and my mate's parents were fans so he lend me the album. I think one of the first dvds I got was Slane castle. Though I didn't like New Year's Day at the time (since Bono celebrates Ireland's victory over the Dutch footy team, match was that day and it kicked us out of the 2002 world cup), the rest pretty much made me a fan.

So weird or not, ATYCLB and Bomb were very accessible for teenagers.

1. Gone new mix is better than the original
2. Wild Horses temple bar edit is better than the original.
3. Apart from the intro, I prefer the studio version of Streets to live, in particular the bridge.

So weird or not, ATYCLB and Bomb were very accessible for teenagers.

It not weird. These two albums did much more for the band in the respect of gaining them fans than Zooropa and POP.

It not weird. These two albums did much more for the band in the respect of gaining them fans than Zooropa and POP.

No surprise there, ATYCLB and HTDAAB are much more accessible than Zooropa and POP were. Also, a new generation was musically coming into their own during the time of Beautiful Day.

1. Gone new mix is better than the original
2. Wild Horses temple bar edit is better than the original.
3. Apart from the intro, I prefer the studio version of Streets to live, in particular the bridge.

I always liked the studio version of Streets. Mainly because the studio version Bono repeates a few lines towards the end instead of just singing wooooaaahhh ohhh woooahhh at the end which he always does live.

1. If you got rid of U2's entire catalog before and including War, I, overall, wouldn't mind.
2. NYD is an extremely boring and plain song.
3. Stand Up Comedy is not terrible
4. All of the hated songs on NLONH are terrible.
5. I like Wild Honey

Back
Top Bottom