Your unpopular U2 opinions here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 Zooropa is slightly better than Achtung Baby.
2 I like Miami, even the studio version.
3 I think October is a very good album. Tomorrow is one of the best songs they've ever made and better than anything in the last 20 years.
4 Tryin To Throw Your Arms, Window In The Skies and White As Snow are among my favorite U2 songs
5 I like Yahweh, One Step Closer, Stuck, OOTS, All Because Of You, Peace On Earth, and Love Rescue Me.
6 I don't like Breathe.
7 I think One is overrated and hasn't been good live since Elevation Tour (could be said for a number of U2 songs)
8 I passionately hate their collaborations. Specifically their collab with Mary J Blige and Green Day. Freakin awful!!!!!
9 Elvis Presley and America is a masterpiece. Elvis Ate America is pretty cool and totally weird at the same time.
10 They play too much Achtung Baby. Way too much. But they don't play the good ones like Love Is Blindness or Acrobat. I hope they never play One again. Give UTEOW, MW, and The Fly (even though it's one of my favorites) a break.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like Grace, Yahweh and cedars of Lebanon.
I looove Song for Someone, one of my favorites from SOI
I really like 'A Man and a Woman', Wild Honey, Love rescue me, White as snow
I love ATYCLB, including Peace on Earth, When I look at the world, New York. The album is a jewerly
Loving 'Winter"
I got into into U2 in 2001, so I love ATYCLB, and I like their 00's albums. Took me a long time to really come to appreciate Zooropa and Pop, although I still can't get into Mofo, Miami, Do you feel loved, Last night on earth,Dirty day, Some days are better than others. I love the more mellow songs on Pop - Please, Wake up dead Man, The Playboy Mansion, If god will send his angels.
I love Window in the skies

I looooove SOI, I think it's up there with their best work (maybe I won't feel like this in the future, but now I can't stop listening to it)

- Passengers and October are two of U2's five best albums.

- Moment of Surrender gets pretty boring after a while. Sometimes I feel like it just got all the attention because U2 had finally done a long song again.

- Beautiful Day isn't exactly a landmark song. It's competent and pleasant, but nothing more.

2 I like Miami, even the studio version.
3 I think October is a very good album. Tomorrow is one of the best songs they've ever made and better than anything in the last 20 years.
4 Tryin To Throw Your Arms, ... among my favorite U2 songs
5 I like ... Peace On Earth, and Love Rescue Me.
6 I don't like Breathe.
8 I passionately hate their collaborations. Specifically their collab with Mary J Blige and Green Day. Freakin awful!!!!!
9 Elvis Presley and America is a masterpiece. Elvis Ate America is pretty cool and totally weird at the same time.
10 They play too much Achtung Baby. Way too much. But they don't play the good ones like Love Is Blindness or Acrobat. I hope they never play One again. Give UTEOW, MW, and The Fly (even though it's one of my favorites) a break.

These opinions are the correct ones.

I know people don't hate Levitate (infact I believe it's generally well liked), but I absolutely LOVE it. So much so that it's one of my favorite U2 songs. The production on this song is a bit of an anomaly in an era of loudly mixed, in-your-face U2 songs. The song just flows (and soars) so naturally. Nothing forced about it. A lot of wonderful subtle moments throughout (I highly recommend to everyone that they listen to this song on a good pair of cans).

ATYCLB is their weakest album

MIRACLE SOUNDS LIKE "DAD ROCK"

Wave acustic sounds like Adele rip off

The Miracle is actually a pretty sick song and one of their best rockers in a long time; just poorly placed on the album. Invisible should've opened, it would've helped The Miracle as well because it doesn't sound like an opener and therefore hurts perceptions of the song.
Breathe is actually quintessential dad rock if it exists. It just screams "I'm dad rock".

Hearing the acoustic versions of "Raised by Wolves" and "Cedarwood Road" have somehow made me like those songs less. I think it just made them seem more "songy" to me, once the atmosphere of the album version was stripped away.

Iris has become one of my top 10 U2 songs.

I don't think Acrobat would sound very good if they tried it live, especially now.

- SBS(studio version) is overrated.
- BD is a overrated song in studio version.
- The first performence of GOYB(grammys) is great.
- JT tour was a bit booring.
-

My only complaint about the JT tour is that the shows were way too short. They only played like 17-20 songs a night.

speaking strictly musically, I believe Millenial U2 has the more quality songs.

Sure, it doesn't have all the spirit and emotion of the 80's U2, or all the innovation and balls of 90's U2, but I'm convinced Millenial U2 has the best quality in music.

What does quality mean to you? To me, the production is flatter and less interesting, Edge hasn't come up with an interesting guitar part in years, the arrangements are more formulaic and there's a reason why the general public has only latched onto a handful of songs from an entire 15 year period. And obviously the lyrics are worse, but you didn't include that.

It's not that the last four albums have been bad, but I wouldn't use any one of them as an introduction. U2 is capable of so much more.

1. Songs Of Innocence is the best album they've done since Achtung Baby
2. Pop is the most underrated U2 record by a country mile
3. Running To Stand Still is among the very best on Joshua Tree
4. U2 should not come to Interference to see what is being posted because they would go mental

Slane Castle '01 is their best concert to date, when taking into consideration every element of a concert...

The Crystal Ballroom is a decent track but way overrated in these forums. It's a bonus track for a reason.

Coldplay is the best band of the 2000's, derivative of U2 yes, but so many great songs.

Got it...so you are.

I'm guessing you also find POP to be lyrically superior than their millennial output too?

Oh, easily. I would argue that one to be a top 5 album lyrically.

(We should do that ranking thread next.)

Last edited:
There have been some lyrical clunkers on all of their previous albums from the 2000s, but I'd say SoI is very strong in that regard. While it might not be quite as poetic as AB/JT, it expresses itself beautifully without any real cringeworthy moments. That stood out to me from the first few listens.

Oh, easily. I would argue that one to be a top 5 album lyrically.

Perhaps then another unpopular opinion for me would be POP being one of their worst albums lyrically.

"You know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what that is but you still want some. You just can't get enough if that lovey dovey stuff.

"It's the blind, leading the blond. It's the stuff, the stuff of country songs.

"There's an insect in your ear
If you scratch it won't disappear
It's gonna itch and burn and sting
You want to see what the scratching brings
Waves that leave me out of reach
Breaking on your back like a beach"

"Jesus, you made the world in seven, your in charge of heaven"(to me this is something a child would write because it rhymes)

Miami...my mammy(the whole song for the most part is awful)

Playboy mansion is one of my favorite songs on the album but lyrically...it's really just random rhyming (coke is a mystery and Michael Jackson history)

"Holy dunc, space junk coming in for the splash
White dopes on punk staring into the flash.
Lookin' for the baby Jesus under the trash
Mother, mother-suckin' rock an' roll."

And these are only the cringeworthy lyrics that I can remember.

Not saying the millennium U2 is superior to this necessarily but on par if nothing else.

There have been some lyrical clunkers on all of their previous albums from the 2000s, but I'd say SoI is very strong in that regard. While it might not be quite as poetic as AB/JT, it expresses itself beautifully without any real cringeworthy moments. That stood out to me from the first few listens.

:up:

NLOTH had it's moments, but it was head and shoulders above ATYCLB and Bomb. SOI is solid throughout, above Pop maybe even with Zooropa.

Perhaps then another unpopular opinion for me would be POP being one of their worst albums lyrically.

"You know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what that is but you still want some. You just can't get enough if that lovey dovey stuff.

"It's the blind, leading the blond. It's the stuff, the stuff of country songs.

"There's an insect in your ear
If you scratch it won't disappear
It's gonna itch and burn and sting
You want to see what the scratching brings
Waves that leave me out of reach
Breaking on your back like a beach"

"Jesus, you made the world in seven, your in charge of heaven"(to me this is something a child would write because it rhymes)

Miami...my mammy(the whole song for the most part is awful)

Playboy mansion is one of my favorite songs on the album but lyrically...it's really just random rhyming (coke is a mystery and Michael Jackson history)

"Holy dunc, space junk coming in for the splash
White dopes on punk staring into the flash.
Lookin' for the baby Jesus under the trash
Mother, mother-suckin' rock an' roll."

And these are only the cringeworthy lyrics that I can remember.

Not saying the millennium U2 is superior to this necessarily but on par if nothing else.

I agree with you on most of these, but the white dopes on punk line is fucking brilliant!

As for the subject of the thread, I have one: I don't blame U2 for moving their business taxes to the Netherlands. Financially it was a smart move, and legally and ethically, there was nothing wrong with it, they weren't "robbing" Ireland of taxes, because it is based on income earned all over the world, and they and all their Irish employees still pay personal taxes in Ireland. Still, because of the bullshit they've had to put up with because of it, and the perception of people who use it against them without understanding exactly what business tax means in this context, I kind of wish they hadn't.

Back
Top Bottom