Your ideal "U2 age"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevey

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I've seen many interferencers wish that they were around for a particular release or tour, or express regret that they were too young (or not born yet) for a certain period. What's the age you wish you were, as a fan? And if you've been the perfect age, what was it?

I was 15 when ZooTV started. No money (no job), no car, and being in high school, no way of traveling to the nearest concert which was 500 miles away from me. I'm glad I was at least old enough to remember seeing it all on MTV. I don't want to make myself any older, but for this situation, I wish I had been in college at least, with the means to get to the show.

I'm actually pretty content with when I became a fan. I got turned on to U2, like many people, with hearing Beautiful Day all over the radio and living through the whole ATYCLB era. I was about 13. ATYCLB is and will probably always be my favorite album. The Vertigo era came during my late high school years, and 360 came during my late college years, and the songs really spoke to where I was in my life at the time. I expect this next album to do the same.

I'm okay with the fact that I was a toddler during ZooTV. Missing out on that in some ways adds to the mystique and appeal of Achtung Baby for me. However, I'd give anything to go back in time and experience a Popmart show. :drool:

Well I feel like I was/am the perfect age, being exactly the same age as them. I just wish I'd gotten my ass to a show sooner than I did! :lol: :angry:

I'm with you, LSH. As a young teen in the AB era I really wish I had been old enough to get to the shows like a big kid. Comet, some girls just have all the luck and you are one.

As far as U2 experience goes, I too wish I could've been college age (or at least 16) during the ZooTV era.

I was 16 when I saw them for the first time on the Vertigo tour. It's probably still the best night of my life - certainly the greatest "spiritual" experience I've had, being an atheist.

But what I wouldn't give to have been around that age or perhaps a bit older during Lovetown, when Australia was the main focus. Then obviously I could have seen ZooTV and Popmart as well.

I was 16 when I saw U2 360 in Seattle, I wish I had been born earlier so I would've been able to see Vertigo and maybe Elevation. It just sucks that U2 are an old rock band for me, I would've loved to see them in their prime.

Come to think of it, being in my late-teens in the early-90's would've been amazing considering all my favorite bands.

I was 13 when I saw POPMart in Philadelphia (I still have a little moment every June 8th for an internal anniversary). When U2 made their way through the crowd, took the stage, and launched into MOFO, it became the most spectacular thing I had ever seen. It was my first concert, aside from punk shows in someone's basement or at a recreation center. I am very content with having experienced that moment, and then the rest of the concert, but I would really love to go back and experience ZooTV in both the arena and stadium configurations.

I suppose the easy answer would have been being 20 or so back in 1992, so I could've seen Zoo TV a few times! I also could have handled being the same age around 2001 or so, right around the period when I was becoming a fan and maybe seen a few Elevation shows.

Otherwise, I never really had an issue with the age I was and being a fan. Growing up with the band a bit longer might've been an interesting experience, but I still got around the back catalog and videos all the same, haha.

Their absolute peak was Lovetown. Incredible vocals. Larry never hit those drums harder. Edge had some great solo's. The setlists were mixed up. So my ideal U2 age would be 40-45 or something like that. (My real age is 28). Zoo TV wasn't too bad either....

I'm currently listening to their 10/1/1990 Rotterdam concert. I enjoyed the Vertigo and 360 concerts I've been to, but they're probably pretty forgettable compared to most of their 1987-1993 concerts.

I guess I am the perfect age to be a U2 fan. I first saw them live in '86 at the LA Amnesty concert. But I'd been a fan for a few years before. I just wish I would have seen them sooner. I'd have loved to have seen the War tour and of course The Unforgettable Fire tour. I remember their Radio City Music Hall show in Dec. of '84 sold out in 6 minutes! Don't know why I didn't get tix when they came around again in '85.

I loved traveling around the states to see the JT shows but by 92 I was confused with ZooTV. I didn't get it. It showcased a very different band--which is what they were going for. (The "going away to dream it all up again" speech). The re-release of AB got me into the band again and made me take a second look at that tour. I get it now. It's my fave tour and I'm glad I got to see 3 shows--indoors and outside broadcast.

I also wish I could have seen the LoveTown shows. They sounded great during that tour.

I was in the army during zootv, unfortunately due to deployments or whatever was going on at the time I missed out on that. My first show was PoPmart and I haven't missed a tour since. I would love to go back and see just one zootv show. Id also tell the band to take it easy on themselves with PoP and tell Bono to watch his back and quit smoking.

I was 20 when the ZooTV Outside Broadcast came around, so luckily I was able to catch it. I was actually out of town when tickets went on sale, and had to beg a friend of mine who scalped tickets to let me have two of his at face value.

Would I have liked to see a show from The Joshua Tree tour? Sure. I remember seeing a lot of kids in high school wearing the shirts after it passed through town, but I was listening to a lot of heavy metal at the time. I imagine had my musical taste been better I would have been able to go, as I remember seeing Iron Maiden at an arena the same year. So it's not that my U2 age was off, just my brain.

Yeah, I missed a lot just by being elsewhere in my head. I totally could have gone to see Pop and Elevation at the perfect age if I hadn't been such a bonehead. (Perfect age being about 20- old enough to have money and travel independently and too young to have much of a serious career or family to attend to.)

I became a fan of U2 in the summer of 1995, at 13 years old. HMTMKMKM was a moderate hit at the time, and I had recently taken an interest in my Dad's music collection, which had a copy of Rattle and Hum that I listened to a few times. On July 4th, VH1 showed a block of 12 U2 videos back to back, and for some reason I was compelled to record this. I watched those videos over and over, and over the next year I slowly built up my U2 collection (though I remember not even knowing October existed until at least after the Popmart era). 13-15 is about when young men start getting interested in music in general, and I just threw myself in. I really identified with U2 because they had a HUGE back catalog for me to discover, and were still a current band. I must've watched ZOOTV Sydney, R&H and Red Rocks at least once a week each.

I remember reading an article in some magazine that was previewing the upcoming releases for the fall of 1996. REM, Pearl Jam, Bush, Nirvana (some live album), and U2!!! I was so excited! I was going to bear witness the release of a new U2 album! I remember looking everywhere for information in the pre-internet days (my family didn't get the internet until 1998 or something). Everytime we went to the mall I'd ask the people at the music store when the album would come out, and finally one time some girl said "Oh yeah, that one got pushed back until next spring". I was pissed off! How could this happen? (Get used to it, kid!)

I remember first hearing Discotheque on the radio and thinking WTF? I remember seeing the video and thinking "Uh oh....", as if even at 15 I could sense the media backlash coming. I still loved the Pop album, and in May the unthinkable happened.... I saw U2 in Columbus, in person. That was such an exciting night for me. 1997 was a hard time to be a high school kid AND a U2 fan, as everybody in my school pretty much hated them. I would get made fun of for wearing my Popmart t shirt.

I was just starting college when ATYCLB came out. That was a much better time to be a U2 fan. ATYCLB really was the right album at the right time in everybody's life, it seemed.

I was 13 when I saw POPMart in Philadelphia (I still have a little moment every June 8th for an internal anniversary). When U2 made their way through the crowd, took the stage, and launched into MOFO, it became the most spectacular thing I had ever seen. It was my first concert, aside from punk shows in someone's basement or at a recreation center. I am very content with having experienced that moment, and then the rest of the concert, but I would really love to go back and experience ZooTV in both the arena and stadium configurations.

Hey, I was 13 when I saw Popmart here in Chile, after just less than a year as a fan.
I was in awe of MOFO (my favorite from POP) too, and it was myfirst concert ever...

and... June 8th is my birthday ... :ohmy:

:hug:

I'd have loved to experience JT and AB firsthand. I wasnt quite 4 when JT was released, but it's a sentimental favorite, and the sheer glory that was AB and the Zoo tour... *swoon* :love:

Yes, I know Ad' has his moments, but it was an amazing time back then and I will always hold a flame alight for it. Getting Zoo 2.0 on 360 was my idea of a dream come true. :cute:

I became a fan of U2 in the summer of 1995, at 13 years old. HMTMKMKM was a moderate hit at the time, and I had recently taken an interest in my Dad's music collection, which had a copy of Rattle and Hum that I listened to a few times. On July 4th, VH1 showed a block of 12 U2 videos back to back, and for some reason I was compelled to record this. I watched those videos over and over, and over the next year I slowly built up my U2 collection (though I remember not even knowing October existed until at least after the Popmart era). 13-15 is about when young men start getting interested in music in general, and I just threw myself in. I really identified with U2 because they had a HUGE back catalog for me to discover, and were still a current band. I must've watched ZOOTV Sydney, R&H and Red Rocks at least once a week each.

I remember reading an article in some magazine that was previewing the upcoming releases for the fall of 1996. REM, Pearl Jam, Bush, Nirvana (some live album), and U2!!! I was so excited! I was going to bear witness the release of a new U2 album! I remember looking everywhere for information in the pre-internet days (my family didn't get the internet until 1998 or something). Everytime we went to the mall I'd ask the people at the music store when the album would come out, and finally one time some girl said "Oh yeah, that one got pushed back until next spring". I was pissed off! How could this happen? (Get used to it, kid!)

I remember first hearing Discotheque on the radio and thinking WTF? I remember seeing the video and thinking "Uh oh....", as if even at 15 I could sense the media backlash coming. I still loved the Pop album, and in May the unthinkable happened.... I saw U2 in Columbus, in person. That was such an exciting night for me. 1997 was a hard time to be a high school kid AND a U2 fan, as everybody in my school pretty much hated them. I would get made fun of for wearing my Popmart t shirt.

I was just starting college when ATYCLB came out. That was a much better time to be a U2 fan. ATYCLB really was the right album at the right time in everybody's life, it seemed.

WoW, as much as I love PoP and PoPMart, I think you are right on with your analysis. Public perception sucks really, PoP and PoPmart were fucking great. But I do have a soft spot in my :heart: as well for ATYCLB and Elevation Tour. I guess I just love u2.

popmart was my birthday present to a friend who got into U2 because she wanted to figure out why the hell i like this band so much. fooled her, it was a trap.
the show was the day before her birthday. i told her to get dressed up, i'm taking you to burger king for your birthday(the look on her face was priceless). fooled her again.
when we got to the stop light in front the stadium i showed her the tickets and told her we're going there. i should've gotten ear plugs.
needless to say, she had fun.

i still can't decide which opener i liked better, zoo station or mofo.

popmart was my birthday present to a friend who got into U2 because she wanted to figure out why the hell i like this band so much. fooled her, it was a trap.
the show was the day before her birthday. i told her to get dressed up, i'm taking you to burger king for your birthday(the look on her face was priceless). fooled her again.
when we got to the stop light in front the stadium i showed her the tickets and told her we're going there. i should've gotten ear plugs.
needless to say, she had fun.
Good job :up:

First heard Pride on the radio in 1984. I was 10. I asked my parents for U.F. for X-mas that year. By the time J.T. dropped I was in 8th grade and in love for the first time (musically speaking) .

Meeting the band and seeing them front row that year on the J.T. tour solidified a life long love affair with U2 that is still going strong!

I got into u2 when i was 14 im 27 now its was the beautiful day / atyclb era that got me into them.seeing them on the brit awards in 2000 or 2001 sold me on the band,i brought in on bonos performance and ive never looked back since. Until the end of the world at the brits is epic. I remember everyone raving about it the next day at school. Yes that was when u2 were cool with school kids :)

I would love to of seen the zoo tv shows,the early years,joshua tree and popmart.

Regret not going to the elevation tour in birmingham uk. Some people from school did,i cant really remember why i didnt.

All though my mom was into u2 during the pregnancy and while i was a kid,does that count?:)

What a great thread. I'm 40 (sing this with me) and became a huge U2 at the age of 11 after my big brother came back from camp w/ an Under a Blood Red Sky t-shirt. I listened to SBS off UBRS over and over again on casette. My friends teased me that I didn't like real rock bands like Huey Lewis and the News (who are currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.)

I suppose my ideal age would 45-50 so I could have seen them at the very beginning or at least the War tour. I can't complain though for getting turned on to them when I did. First show was Joshua Tree tour when I was 15 (still the best concert of my life - the EPIC Streets opening) 2nd show was Zoo TV and then at least two shows on every tour since.

Am happy to see so many younger fans on this board - you have good taste. Albums like UF and AB sound still sound fresh and innovative decades later - an amazing artistic achievement. The resonances of real truth and beauty never fades ... especially when using ample digital delay

I would say the peak of my U2 fandom was in my mid 20s, before during and after the vertigo tour... that's when I saw the most shows, did the most traveling, met a ton of other U2 fans, many of whom were/are from interference, did the most crazy u2 fan things, etc etc

I still consider myself a huge fan and consider U2 my favorite band and all, but I don't have the same level of obsession as I once did... I suppose I'm mellowing out. I do miss those days, though...

What a great thread. I'm 40 (sing this with me) and became a huge U2 at the age of 11 after my big brother came back from camp w/ an Under a Blood Red Sky t-shirt. I listened to SBS off UBRS over and over again on casette. My friends teased me that I didn't like real rock bands like Huey Lewis and the News (who are currently residing in the 'Where are they now?' file.)

I suppose my ideal age would 45-50 so I could have seen them at the very beginning or at least the War tour. I can't complain though for getting turned on to them when I did. First show was Joshua Tree tour when I was 15 (still the best concert of my life - the EPIC Streets opening) 2nd show was Zoo TV and then at least two shows on every tour since.

Am happy to see so many younger fans on this board - you have good taste. Albums like UF and AB sound still sound fresh and innovative decades later - an amazing artistic achievement. The resonances of real truth and beauty never fades ... especially when using ample digital delay

Well said Celebration well said. Just turned 39 Aug 9th and I feel the same. 21 shows in and I still love U2 live!

Back
Top Bottom