Your ideal "U2 age"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best era for me was 85-89 + Zoo TV (AB is my favourite album). Became a fan when I was 12 in 89, right after R&H. Saw them first time in 92, was the best concert ever for me. However, I could trade 3 or 4 of the 14 shows I've seen to see them once in 87 or 89.....or even during the UF tour. To me, this was the best time, I like Bono's screaming voice so much, the energy they had at the time is just enormous. It's like 2 different bands if you compare them with nowadays. So yeah, I repeat myself, but when I see videos from 85-89 I feel nothing can ever beat those performances, ever.....

The best era for me was 85-89 + Zoo TV (AB is my favourite album). Became a fan when I was 12 in 89, right after R&H. Saw them first time in 92, was the best concert ever for me. However, I could trade 3 or 4 of the 14 shows I've seen to see them once in 87 or 89.....or even during the UF tour. To me, this was the best time, I like Bono's screaming voice so much, the energy they had at the time is just enormous. It's like 2 different bands if you compare them with nowadays. So yeah, I repeat myself, but when I see videos from 85-89 I feel nothing can ever beat those performances, ever.....

Exactly! Bono's voice was stronger and had a lot of power behind it. Youth = a hunger to prove to the world your worth. Age & $ = a quiet complacency and acceptance of your surroundings.

Those first few U2 shows were the best for me too! The Joshua Tree tour and Zoo TV during my high school years were unforgettable (fire).

Exactly! Bono's voice was stronger and had a lot of power behind it. Youth = a hunger to prove to the world your worth. Age & $ = a quiet complacency and acceptance of your surroundings.

Those first few U2 shows were the best for me too! The Joshua Tree tour and Zoo TV during my high school years were unforgettable (fire).

:up: I totally agree. I loved Bono's voice from the 84-92 era. You can hear how it evolved. He developed an incredibly rich and textural singing voice ranging from the low chest register (ie: Hawkmoon from R&H) to that gorgeous falsetto (ie: the ending of Night and Day, snippet of Love to Love you Baby during MW live and I Can't help Fall in Love).

I loved how he used to talk about having a hunger and a thirst for the music, throwing out the rule book and not putting up with non stick wallpaper music--to paraphrase. That's what got me into U2. It was their passion for the music and for the fact they showed a great deal of respect for their fans. And of course the great music.

:up: I totally agree. I loved Bono's voice from the 84-92 era. You can hear how it evolved. He developed an incredibly rich and textural singing voice ranging from the low chest register (ie: Hawkmoon from R&H) to that gorgeous falsetto (ie: the ending of Night and Day, snippet of Love to Love you Baby during MW live and I Can't help Fall in Love).

I loved how he used to talk about having a hunger and a thirst for the music, throwing out the rule book and not putting up with non stick wallpaper music--to paraphrase. That's what got me into U2. It was their passion for the music and for the fact they showed a great deal of respect for their fans. And of course the great music.

Well said. 100% agree. I am going to go and watch Rattle & Hum right now!

I was 15 when ZooTV started. No money (no job), no car, and being in high school, no way of traveling to the nearest concert which was 500 miles away from me. I'm glad I was at least old enough to remember seeing it all on MTV. I don't want to make myself any older, but for this situation, I wish I had been in college at least, with the means to get to the show.

Change this to Joshua Tree & you're singing my song. Like you said, I don't necessarily wish myself to be older, but what I would have given at the time to be, oh 20yrs old, and able to travel where I wanted at will. :sigh:

Dammit, I thought it said "U2 STage"..

I think we need a stage thread..

As far as AGE - 11, Rattle & Hum.. which is when I found JT also. Actung & ZOO TV at 14.. POP, Popmart & Zooropa at 17.. You think you know it all at those stages in your life, all great soundtracks and experiences to flow along with adolescence..

Still hanging in there at 33 HOPING for a return to dark, moody and atmospheric.

Editors latest offering really grabbed me, I can't help but think through every full listen of 'The Weight Of Your Love' that U2 still has some dark in there somewhere.

One can dream. :drool:

I became a u2 fan at age 15 in 1995. My first show was Popmart in Paris '97.
Wish i was 20 during Zoo Tv!

The Joshua Tree was their latest album when I bought it and it was my first U2 album. ZOOTV was the first tour I saw. Achtung Baby was freshman year of college. I would have loved to see some earlier shows, but I think I was pretty lucky.

Back
Top Bottom