Your favorite U2 song, why, and what meaning it has to you..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captluther

Babyface
This is a hard one...

This song encompasses everything that U2 is.. it is a great rock n roll song but it has a deep religious meaning. That song of course is "Until The End of The World". It is probably my favorite song off of Achtung Baby, I'll never forget the first time I heard it. I remember the quote from Bono that said "it was the sound of four men chopping down the Joshua Tree."

This is a hard one :hmm:
Can't choose just one, so I'll choose 5

Well

AB: "Even Better Than the Real Thing/The Fly/Until The End of the World"
3 songs I always run to, "The Fly" was the first song I heard off of AB. Seriously...I know it sounds ridiculious, but I never heard music the same way after that

JT: "One Tree Hill"
Reminds me of when I used to lay out on the dock of my parents Lake House when the sun was setting, listening to this incredible track

Boy: "I Will Follow"
The first U2 album I ever purchased (Back in 2004 when I was in the 7th Grade), and the first U2 song I ever feel in love with

Nice thread :up:

My favorite U2 song is Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out. I absolutely love it. And I love the story behind the song- the idea of a conversation between Bono and Hutchence about suicide, and the idea that Bono wanted to write him a "tough, nasty little number, slapping him around the head" instead of a "stupid soppy fucking song." I just love the whole concept of the song.

Also, this was the first "new" U2 song that I ever heard: My first U2 album was ATYCLB for my 13th birthday, and Beautiful Day was the only U2 song I knew because it was all over the radio. Therefore, when I put the CD in my player, SIAM was the first U2 song that I ever heard that I did not know, so it's special to me for that reason.

It also includes what I think are possibly Bono's most beautiful lyrics ever, in the beginning of the second verse: "I will not forsake the colors that you bring, or the nights you filled with fireworks, they left you with nothing." That is so pretty.

Plus, the fact that it is not well liked around here makes me love it all the more. :rockon:

Probably my favorite song is Until the End of the World (the album version).

That song just feels "holy" to me on the album. Live its a flat out rocker, but the album version makes me feel like I am traveling through time with swirling layers and with Bono's deep voice which sounds like God is talking. I am not religious at all, in fact pretty much agnostic, but something about this song makes me feel holy, and the whole biblical thing behind it adds to it. It is like I am listening to the sounds of the bible and the song just shakes the surroundings I am in. I remember literally practically hallucinating and tripping out to this song because I was mentally so lost in the sound of it. Whenever I hear this song on my headphones, I stop whatever I am doing and pretty much just black out. Its a monster, epic, piece of music

and Live it just kicks ass, but it doesnt have that same holiness that the album version has to me. I look at it like 2 different songs

Lemon.

I could write a book on why it's my favorite. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy. :wink:

Where The Streets Have No Name.

I mean, I have so many favourites, but only one song sort of manages to get me every time. I well up each time. I could have said Until The End of The World or Zooropa, but they both seem limited in their theme. Streets is just timeless, hopeful, redeeming, everything music could ever hope to be. If Streets should play on my deathbed, and be the last song I ever heard, fine.
And it kills live.

Another favorite that actually means something to me is Acrobat. It really helped me get through my emo teenage years.

Same here, except I wasn't quite emo. :D Just a regular 17 year old dealing with the whole teen angst thing, and Acrobat put into words everything I was feeling. It still does sometimes.

It's not my favorite U2 song, but Exit was the song that really made me a super fan. I got interested in U2 by hearing Beautiful Day, but when I heard Exit, there was that instant connection and I knew that this would be my band. It was the most exciting and deep piece of music my teenage ears had heard up til then (I was a Backstreet Boys fan :D). I'll always consider it sacred in my own U2 canon.

One Step Closer.

This song take me to another level. I don't know how to explain which level is this. And it remembers me a time in my life that everything was going so wrong that when I listened to that song, always made me feel better because I knew that I wasn't not the only one that felt the same thing. I mean, the lyrics say so many things that I felt and keep feeling sometimes... I really don't know how to explain :reject:
It always gets me. No matter if everything is going well, or not. It's just the song that gave me hope in a time that anything was abble to do it.
My fav. music ever. :heart:

Where The Streets Have No Name.

I mean, I have so many favourites, but only one song sort of manages to get me every time. I well up each time. I could have said Until The End of The World or Zooropa, but they both seem limited in their theme. Streets is just timeless, hopeful, redeeming, everything music could ever hope to be. If Streets should play on my deathbed, and be the last song I ever heard, fine.
And it kills live.

:up:
Streets and The Great Gig In The Sky, by Pink Floyd, are the most emotional things I have ever listened to. :drool:

There are so many songs that have a special meaning to me. I feel like Bono is singing to me.

Stuck In A Moment for when I had bad depression. It is weird because when they played it in Philly on 10/16, Bono reached down and grabbed my hand.

Drowning Man for the same reason

There are so many songs that have a special meaning to me. I feel like Bono is singing to me.

Stuck In A Moment for when I had bad depression. It is weird because when they played it in Philly on 10/16, Bono reached down and grabbed my hand.

Drowning Man for the same reason

Bono reached down and grabbed your hand when they played Drowning Man in Philly on 10/16?

:wink:

Very hard to choose...
Impossible to choose...
Maybe THE FLY because it's the first U2 song I heard. What a revelation for me! It changes my life ! :huh:

Bad (from Wide Awake In America).
This version combines the atmosphere of the studio version and the improvisation of live versions.
Bad's lyrics are probably my favorite of all time because there is so much left to interpretation.
Bono often introduces it as being about a friend's addiction to heroin, but it can be applied to anyone who has struggled with the addiction or difficulties associated with a friend, or even themselves.
Everyone undergoes struggles, and this song deals with how we come to a resolution, or more frankly, the question of whether we ever come to a resolution (I'm not sleeping, oh no, no).
I could go on and on...and there are so many U2 songs that stand out, but this one just barely ranks as #1.

Tough one. Hmm. :hmm: I think I'd have to go with 'With or Without You', since it's the first U2 song I ever listened to and it's what got me into the band! Plus, it's such a gorgeous (but heartbreaking) take on wanting to be in love, but wanting to be without it too.

Elevation.

Back in 2004 I was watching TV and saw and an ad for some special with some band called U2. I had nothing better to do, so I waited 'til it begin and started to watch. Before the first song ends, I'm already taping the show.
Turns out that this "special" was actually Go Home, mixed with that TUF Slane doc. And that first song was Elevation. Since then, no other song has ever thrilled me more than this one. Whenever I listen to it, it always cheers me up and I never got bored of it.
I think that's it.

Choosing just a song is really impossible for me, there are so many special U2 songs in my heart.

Streets is the one I go to most often when I don't feel well, I'm frustated about something or simply overwhelmed by difficulties, I start singing along and suddenly I can breathe much better, by the end of the song I always feel much better, positive and empowered by its strength. Many songs from ATYCLB have a similar effect on me, when I feel a bit depressed I always start my day with BD, there's a kind of optimism in this album I find it almost healing, but Streets is the most powerful of all.
WOWY and One are also very especial for me, they are asociated to personal memories too. WOWY was the first song I learned the lyrics in English, I remember I kept thinking about its meaning for a long, long time, the beauty of this song is..., I can't explain it, in 1987 it was as if it came from another planet.
Mofo, UTEOTW, MOTD, Bad, Miracle Drug, LID, OSC, The Fly etc., etc. too many songs to coment in a single post.

Back
Top Bottom