You ever wonder if the band split up after POP- what we'd be saying about them now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think bram was speaking more about the people who were pissed off back in 1991 and are still holding a grudge or still feel the same. Axver is more an example of somebody who became a fan much later and just prefers the 80's work to Achtung. Remember, he still likes Passengers and Zooropa. :wink:

As for the topic... I would have said Yes to the thread's question had this still been 2002 or something and the (then) disappointment of ATYCLB was still fresh in my mind, not to mention the pouring of salt over the wounds, in changing all the Pop songs for the Best Of, apologizing for Pop etc. and such garbage they did at the time. But they say that time is a healer. And that is definitely true. ATYCLB grew on me over time and while I still don't enjoy it as much as other top favorites, I have to admit that the progression (and beatlesque transformation) displayed from Wake Up Dead Man to Beautiful Day was simply brilliant! It completely revitalized the band and is probably the direct cause of a brilliant album such as NLOTH to be made possible.

Yes, thanks for clarifying Zoots--I was speaking about people in 1991, which is why I decided not to mention any well-known interference members. Presumably, the people who were really disappointed in 1991 gave up their hardcore U2 fandom at some point in the last 18 years.

While I clearly adore 83-91 U2 more than any other stretch, I'm very happy that they did not split up after Pop.

And much as I don't understand how any U2 fan can claim Pop is the band's best record, I still really enjoy listening to it. I think it took a lot of guts for them to release such an album, and it bothers me that it's this thing that some think they should be ashamed of. Fuck that, there are wonderful and thrilling moments all over the album and I wished they embraced it a bit more.

But, to speak to the core question, I'd hate to not have The Ground Beneath Her Feet or City of Blinding Lights or When I Look at the World or Fez Being Born or Native Son or Kite or Breathe, and more, to listen to.

Yeah, and in 10 years we'll just remember (and replay!) the highlights of 2000s U2 and any disappointments will have stopped stinging long ago. My HTDAAB feelings have gone from super excited to disappointed and now to disinterested. But it's this last stage that will allow me, at some point, to go back to it with fresh and open ears, and I'll likely be able to get something more out of the record. And the Bomb experience has allowed me to change my approach somewhat for NLOTH, so I haven't had the same wild swings in my opinions on the album. Or maybe it's just a much better album. :wink:

I think of U2 as one of the biggest bands of all time right now (not just best but biggest). If they had broken up after POP, I would not think this. Here is why (Im from the US, so this is a US perspective):

POP was a dud in the US and PopMart failed as a tour in the US. That means that U2 would have been forgotten basically after 1993 because nothing after that made an impact (assuming they broke up after POP). So from 1983-1993 they were a big band. Yes, some can argue that it was from 87-93 but Redrocks and Rolling Stone put them in the pubic eye before that (Rolling Stone named them band of the 80's in 1985). So, they would be talked about with the likes of REM, Bon Jovi, ect... as one of the best bands of the 80's or 90's. However, post 1997:

Elevation Tour was almost a complete sell out and was one of the most successful tours ever (109 million in the US).
ALTYLB went on to sell 4.5 million to date in the US and roughly 12-14 million WW (big sales, much bigger than POP)
Beautiful Day-Song/Record of the year at the Grammies (awesome song)
Walk On-Record of the Year (awesome song)
Stuck in a moment -nominated for song & record of the year (awesome song)
Elevation- won a grammy (love this tune and it is becoming a tour classic)
HTDAAB- Album of the year (ALTYLB was nominated but didnt win...should have though...)
Sometimes you cant make it- Song of the year (dont like this one)
Vertigo-Won best rock song at the grammies. This put U2 back on the map in 2004 (awesome tune)
City of Blinding Lights (awesome song)
HTDAAB-Sold 3.5 million in the US and 10 million WW (again, big sales)
Vertigo Tour was the biggest tour EVER at the end of 2005. It grossed 389 million dollars and was a COMPLETE sell out all over the world.
Magnificent & Breathe are classic U2 songs....no doubt and Crazy Tonight is not to shabby either.
U2360 is set to become the highest grossing tour in history. It may very well double the Vertigo Tours gross of 389 million.

So, after 1997 U2 received 15 grammies, had two very successful albums and three HUGE tours (the 360 being the biggest ever). All of these combined with their previous work make them one of the biggest bands ever. Again, this is a US perspective but I am very happy that they didnt break up after 1997.

While I clearly adore 83-91 U2 more than any other stretch, I'm very happy that they did not split up after Pop.

And much as I don't understand how any U2 fan can claim Pop is the band's best record, I still really enjoy listening to it. I think it took a lot of guts for them to release such an album, and it bothers me that it's this thing that some think they should be ashamed of. Fuck that, there are wonderful and thrilling moments all over the album and I wished they embraced it a bit more.

But, to speak to the core question, I'd hate to not have The Ground Beneath Her Feet or City of Blinding Lights or When I Look at the World or Fez Being Born or Native Son or Kite or Breathe, and more, to listen to.
someone knight this man.

someone knight this man.

Give me a sword...:shifty:

Pop is a very good record, but I'm not so sure about U2 'not caring' about what the public thought...they did. They were trying to ride the 'trip-hop', 'electronica' movement (read some pre-release interviews)...so they definitely had their nose in what was the 'mainstream' at that time.

Also rush-releasing an album does not make it it innovative or daring...or maybe it does...:shrug:

Pop is a very good record, but I'm not so sure about U2 'not caring' about what the public thought...they did. They were trying to ride the 'trip-hop', 'electronica' movement (read some pre-release interviews)...so they definitely had their nose in what was the 'mainstream' at that time.

This again??? :|:wink: It was new for U2 and that's all that matters, for me at least.

Pop is a very good record, but I'm not so sure about U2 'not caring' about what the public thought...they did.

I would have thought that U2's reaction to the relative failure of POP is more than enough evidence that in fact they cared very much about the public opinion and reception.

If they quit after Pop I'd be kicking myself forever that I didn't go to Melbourne PopMart concert when I had a chance.

I guess it's maybe to their credit (?) that they've openly - blatantly - worn that caring on their sleeve for the past 10 years.

And I honestly don't think Pop leaned on any particular influence more or less than a lot (most) of their other albums. It's there and just as obvious and open on plenty of them, just usually lauded. I guess it's just a very easy place to point for those who were disappointed with Pop.

I'm happy we're all pondering this issue seriously. I was scared this was going to turn into a 90's VS. Naughties thread.

Which means... ?

Well the question is, what if U2 broke up after POP, what would we (me) be saying. Fortunately, they didnt :applaud: so we have the ability to compare if it would have been better to go out now or after POP. So, here is what I consider to be levels that one can measure success by:

1-Selling albums-Check! You cant lay claim to being the biggest band without having big album sales (e.g. one of the top selling albums of a given year). PoP failed to reach this but ATYCLB, HTDAAB & NLOTH all achieved this. So in this regard, it was better that they didnt break up because they would have gone out on a lower note.
2-Concert Draw-If you play it will they come? Check! PopMart failed here, again Im speaking from a US perspective because the PopMart tour did very well in the rest of the world. It didnt sell out that many US dates and then there is the Las Vegas debacle.... Staring at the Sun, If God Will Send his Angels and Do you Feel Loved (our guy couldnt hit the damn notes). Now, they have had two of the most successful tours in US (and World) history...and 360 should be the biggest tour EVER world wide and will out due POPMart in the US at the very least. So in this regard, it was better that they didnt break up because they would have gone out on a lower note.
3-Awards/Critic Reviews-Check! Now I know, most people on Interference dont care what critics think or what the Grammies think. Hell, most true/real fans dont care as long as the music is good. However, I like the Grammies and while I do not feel that if something wins a Grammy/award it automatically makes it good but I do respect the fact that it was recognized as one of the best (or THE best when talking about HTDAAB) in the USA. I personally dont put much weight on awards but they are a nice compliment to know that not just U2 fans like this music but critics/other music fans do as well. POP failed to win any awards, but ATYCLB and HTDAAB won 15, so in this regard, it was better that they didnt break up.

I know most people are going to say the grammies are shit or the Brits are shit but its all subjective anyway. If Zagat rates Cosmo's Steak House as the best steak of 2009, it doesnt mean that you will agree with it but the people at Zagats feel its the best, so I can claim that my steak is "award winning" :sexywink:

I'm happy we're all pondering this issue seriously. I was scared this was going to turn into a 90's VS. Naughties thread.

We are U2 fans and can appreciate that each decade has the "U2 touch" in its songs/albums.

1-Selling albums-Check! You cant lay claim to being the biggest band without having big album sales (e.g. one of the top selling albums of a given year). PoP failed to reach this but ATYCLB, HTDAAB & NLOTH all achieved this. So in this regard, it was better that they didnt break up because they would have gone out on a lower note.

NLOTH will most likely end up selling fewer copies than Pop, and the first two singles from Pop charted well above Boots in the US and, I believe, the UK.

Which means... ?

One last point...you have to understand that I am someone who spends most of my time in the "Peeling off the dollar bills" forum. Therefore, I measure success differently than Interferencer's from say this forum. I love U2's music regardless but I do love when they break records for sales or concert gross. :applaud:

NLOTH will most likely end up selling fewer copies than Pop, and the first two singles from Pop charted well above Boots in the US and, I believe, the UK.

POP sold roughly 1.3 million initially in 1997 in the US and 5.5 million WW
NLOTH has sold roughly 986k in the US and 3.2 million WW

However, the market is very, very different. POP wasn't even in the top 40 best selling albums in 1997 at 1.3 million (I might be mistaken but I do believe it did not make the top 40) but NLOTH with roughly 1 million should be top 20 easy. As for singles, I wont make excuses but ageism might be at work (okay, that was the bitter U2 fan). Anyway, NLOTH is the 2nd best selling album WW at the moment and should end up in the top 5 WW no matter what happens by the end of the year.

Also, ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both huge sales improvements over POP.
ATYCLB 4.8 million to date in the US (estimated)
HTDAAB 3.5 million to date in the US (estimated)

according to wikipedia, both albums debuted at #1 in many countries, including the u.s. not sure what it has to do with the thread's topic, but yeah.

My spin on the topic is that if they went out during POP, it would have been on a low note and today, people might not consider them one of the biggest bands of all time but rather just of an era.

Whereas if they went out today, the perspective would be very different when talking about U2. I brought sales into the conversation, so that might have led to the topic going astray a bit.... :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom