Wow, the Irish Times really hates U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some of my best friends are american, and i think in a lot of ways the united states is the best country in the world.

i do not hate the united states in the slightest... that's not even close to what i was talking about. what i can't stand is what i perceive is bono kissing its ass at all times... i'm not particularly patriotic (i'm canadian, for the record), and maybe that's why i'm harsh in this regard. i've seen/heard many, many canadians pretend to be american particularly in the last year especially when it came to the election.

i had friends that crossed the border to CAMPAIGN FOR OBAMA. that's utterly ridiculous.

if americans want to be proud of their country, i say go for it. but BONO IS NOT AMERICAN, and sometimes i think he forgets as much.

seriously, i want to make it clear that aside from mainstream american politics, i think the united states is a brilliant country with brilliant people. it's just time people from canada and ireland stop pretending like they're one its citizens.

Thank you! I think Canada is a great country too. I was there as a child and would love to visit again.

I feel with the Irish folks though, there has been and perhaps, maybe still is this "idea" of America being the land of "Milk and Honey." And for 1.5 million, during the "Hunger" years, it was. Including, all of my ancestors. Whom, came from Ireland and made America their home.

The Irish in America, still identify strongly with Ireland, no matter how many following generations, were born State Side. We are proud to be Irish American.

Thank you! I think Canada is a great country too. I was there as a child and would love to visit again.

I feel with the Irish folks though, there has been and perhaps, maybe still is this "idea" of America being the land of "Milk and Honey." And for 1.5 million, during the "Hunger" years, it was. Including, all of my ancestors. Whom, came from Ireland and made America their home.

The Irish in America, still identify strongly with Ireland, no matter how many following generations, were born State Side. We are proud to be Irish American.

I'm half-Irish, half-German... most of the time, I identify much more with Ireland than with Germany. But maybe it's because I have red hair.

I think you're glossing over some major issues, though. For example, how can you defend the States when we write things like "favorite" as opposed to "favourite"? Step back from your jingoism for a moment and please ponder that.

That's absolutely unforgivable. :tsk:

Sorry, but Bruce is also huge in Europe. His concert in my city was sold out within hours yesterday. Many people here love him and Magic was a big success.

Same here, the new album is album of the week now on one of the radio stations here. Magic was covered in most media, except the teen magazines, but yea, Tokyo hotel is in there, so I wouldn't want to be in there if I was the Boss.

I'm half-Irish, half-German... most of the time, I identify much more with Ireland than with Germany. But maybe it's because I have red hair.

Germany is a great country too. Though, sadly, I can't afford to travel there. At least, not yet. My husband's family is from Germany. God, I love German food!

Sour beef and dumplings.....:drool:

Germany is a great country too. Though, sadly, I can't afford to travel there. At least, not yet. My husband's family is from Germany. God, I love German food!

Sour beef and dumplings.....:drool:

what part of germany?

some of my best friends are american, and i think in a lot of ways the united states is the best country in the world.

i do not hate the united states in the slightest... that's not even close to what i was talking about. what i can't stand is what i perceive is bono kissing its ass at all times... i'm not particularly patriotic (i'm canadian, for the record), and maybe that's why i'm harsh in this regard. i've seen/heard many, many canadians pretend to be american particularly in the last year especially when it came to the election.

i had friends that crossed the border to CAMPAIGN FOR OBAMA. that's utterly ridiculous.

if americans want to be proud of their country, i say go for it. but BONO IS NOT AMERICAN, and sometimes i think he forgets as much.

seriously, i want to make it clear that aside from mainstream american politics, i think the united states is a brilliant country with brilliant people. it's just time people from canada and ireland stop pretending like they're one its citizens.

I agree with this except I don't think in many ways the US is the best country in the world. I found Bono's Elevation flag jacket cringe-worthy. Sometimes I wish he'd just be Irish because I don't get that strong sense of Irish pride from him sometimes. I agree with bipartisanship to a certain extent, but at some point you have to draw a line in the sand, and George Warmonger Bush was definitely that line for me. But I can understand the 'adoption' if you will, or a love affair with a country. I have a similar relationship with a country I'm well familiar with (but not native of). It's hard to explain. But then again I'm not famous for being on TV constantly bigging up that country...

In terms of the Obama ceremony, I thought Bruce was better. Honestly I thought almost everyone was better, even artists I don't like. But I'll be front row centre next U2 tour, of course I will. :up:

I don't find the Irish Times article offensive, really. I think it's a bit painfully honest, maybe. Hopefully we should be mature enough to realize when a valid point is being made..

you're completely missing the point of that thread.

i have no problem with americans spelling the way they do. they're americans, they can do what they want. their official spelling dictates that they SHOULD spell favor without a u, and all else.

my problem is with the fact that so many canadians have been completely americanised in their culture and day to to day lives, that little things like distinctive spelling have gone by the wayside. that thread was specifically written for canadians, and you know it.

Please trust me when I tell you that I get the point of this thread. My comment is not necessarily germane, but that does not necessarily signify that I'm not understanding the point. I'm less dense than one might believe.

But, yes, regarding your last point, I do know who you were speaking directly to. I was more or less just having a laugh.

You do have to admit there have to be times the rest of the band members do shake their heads, roll their eyes, and mutter "ah Christ!" at some of the things Bono does. :lol:

The odd thing is that I used to do this when I'd hear Bono chant his "this is not a rebel song" or other SBS rants or discussions about apartheid. It just seemed to be the cool thing to do in the 80's - rant about government.

I used to cringe then and I'd cringe now if it weren't for the fact that instead of just preaching, Bono is doing. It's easy to preach, far tougher to do.

Springsteen may do a lot - but quietly. But the cause Bono backs is not something one can be quiet about. One can't just create DATA and hope everything turns out OK. This is an entire continent - and while not everyone on that continent is suffering, many MANY people are. Doing some quiet contributions does nothing.

As for Bruce's lyrics... some are great - so are Bono's. Some are not - just like Bono's. I don't get the author's comments about GOYB. Then again, if one is used to songs like "My Life Would Suck Without You", which tells you the whole song in the title, then I guess a song that makes you think about ideas and the duality of the lyrics' meaning would be troublesome. :sexywink:

But I have noticed that this was the second or third time that the Irish Times bashed Bono or U2. Seems a bit odd to do so. Maybe a certain author or editor is being lazy (easy to bash a popular theme, person, act or band) or really has some irrational dislike for Bono or U2. Too bad - I believe the opposing view should always be presented. And from what I see, that's not true. Unbiased reporting indeed.

For all the people who think that is was somehow in poor taste for Bono to show that he shared in America's grief after 9/11 do you also think that all of the fans who cried when Bono performed those shows in England as his father was dying were also somehow showing poor taste? Bono shared his grief at his father's illness and death with his fans and they cried with him. It helped him through a very difficult time. When they performed in America after 9/11 he tried to return the favor. The only difference is that he had to do it from the stage. The sentiment was the same and the repetition was because he was sharing with all of America not just the New York audiences. There were many, many people who were appreciative of Bono's acknowledgement so I think it for him all the criticism was worth it for the ones that it did touch.

Dana

Are we sure it was at one of the first New York shows that he cried? Because I saw the first show after 9/11, incidentally in New York, and except for a quick remark about wanting to kick Bin Laden's ass there was absolutely no mention of it :shrug:
Bono was more keen to discuss the IRA's decision to give up its arms.
Def sounded more Irish than American that night.

^

Huh? Maybe I misread, or you might want to jog your memory by listening to some bootlegs...but the first show(s) after 9/11 weren't in NY...Notre Dame, Montreal, Hamilton, Chicago, Baltimore...at all of those shows mention was made...and in NY there was ALOT of acknowledgement on Bono's part...at EVERY NYC show, with police and firemen being brought onstage, lyrics to many songs changed, the names of the victims on the screens, etc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?? I wasn't at the NY shows but I was at the next one in East Rutherford, and he made many references to 9/11.

Are we sure it was at one of the first New York shows that he cried? Because I saw the first show after 9/11, incidentally in New York, and except for a quick remark about wanting to kick Bin Laden's ass there was absolutely no mention of it :shrug:
Bono was more keen to discuss the IRA's decision to give up its arms.
Def sounded more Irish than American that night.

I didn't say anything about Bono crying I was talking about the bit where Bono would hug the American flag. People slam him for doing this staged bit as if it was totally phony. I am simply pointing out that while the execution may be staged (after the first occurance) the sentiment behind it was genuine. I've watched bootleg's of the Notre Dame performance and one of the NYC shows and there was plenty of grief sharing going on. Those concerts were cathartic experiences for the audiences. The level of emotion that comes across on camera is incredible and it must have been incredible to experience live. Those concerts were healing events.

Dana

I didn't say anything about Bono crying I was talking about the bit where Bono would hug the American flag. People slam him for doing this staged bit as if it was totally phony. I am simply pointing out that while the execution may be staged (after the first occurance) the sentiment behind it was genuine. I've watched bootleg's of the Notre Dame performance and one of the NYC shows and there was plenty of grief sharing going on. Those concerts were cathartic experiences for the audiences. The level of emotion that comes across on camera is incredible and it must have been incredible to experience live. Those concerts were healing events.

Dana

I honestly don't recall anyone really slamming Bono for what went down at those early leg 3 shows (I joined Interference just after that NJ show), but I can definitely say that the emotional component was beyond incredible. Anyone who doubts Bono's sincerity or the appropriateness of the way he expressed and shared in that grief likely needs to give their head a shake.

To be honest, I don't really think any of what went on in Leg 3 belongs in this discussion at all.

It's definitely not what I was referring to when I made my comment, anyways..I just thought the jacket was a bit much at the Superbowl performance, that's all I meant.

I honestly don't recall anyone really slamming Bono for what went down at those early leg 3 shows (I joined Interference just after that NJ show), but I can definitely say that the emotional component was beyond incredible. Anyone who doubts Bono's sincerity or the appropriateness of the way he expressed and shared in that grief likely needs to give their head a shake.

To be honest, I don't really think any of what went on in Leg 3 belongs in this discussion at all.

It's definitely not what I was referring to when I made my comment, anyways..I just thought the jacket was a bit much at the Superbowl performance, that's all I meant.

I've run across quite a few sneering comments about Bono's flag moment in various places, not just interference. Usually they are complaining that the whole thing was staged and not spontaneous but the initial occurance was spontaneous. There was a valid reason behind it just as there is a valid reason behind the flag lined jacket at the Superbowl.

Also the whole reason that U2 was approached to do the Superbowl was because of the way the concerts had been going and in part because of the way Bono was relating to America in regards to 9/11. So having the flag in the jacket was a way of doing the same thing as the flag moment in the concert was doing. So the flag in the the jacket makes perfect sense in that context.
By the way U2 took no money for the Superbowl performance. The NFL was very puzzled by this and I think made a donation to the 9/11 fund in lieu of payment to U2.
Dana

There was a valid reason behind it just as there is a valid reason behind the flag lined jacket at the Superbowl.

Also the whole reason that U2 was approached to do the Superbowl was because of the way the concerts had been going and in part because of the way Bono was relating to America in regards to 9/11. So having the flag in the jacket was a way of doing the same thing as the flag moment in the concert was doing. So the flag in the the jacket makes perfect sense in that context.

Dana, I'm fully aware of all that went on with the Superbowl performance, and actually the flag was in the jacket long before that performance. I just personally think that making a gesture with the flag ie hugging it, accepting one from the crowd, etc...but not necessarily sewn inside the jacket...was plenty and powerful enough, that's all.

There are a number of different things Bono was saying during Leg 3. Including, make sure we don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster. If I'm not mistaken (and someone who knows alot about Leg 3 shows, feel free to correct me, I only went to 2), he would sometimes open his jacket or hang it on his mic stand inside out to display the flag during Bullet, which was more of a message of caution to America as opposed to the empathetic gesture of hugging the flag. Two different statements, imo, but again, I just felt that both statements could have been just as effectively made without sewing a flag of a country who he is not a citizen of inside his jacket, that's all. I'm not panning him for it, I just don't think it was necessary and of course it can't be all that spontaneous when it's permanently sewn inside your jacket. Getting a flag from the audience would always be spontaneous and there was no doubt that there would be at least 1 (more like 100) US flags in the audience during Leg 3. :shrug:

I've run across quite a few sneering comments about Bono's flag moment in various places, not just interference. Usually they are complaining that the whole thing was staged and not spontaneous but the initial occurance was spontaneous. There was a valid reason behind it just as there is a valid reason behind the flag lined jacket at the Superbowl.

By the way U2 took no money for the Superbowl performance. The NFL was very puzzled by this and I think made a donation to the 9/11 fund in lieu of payment to U2.
Dana

I remember watching U2's performance and as an American. It made me cry. I thought it was very respectful to those who had lost their lives.

Sometimes I wish Bono would just sing and walk off stage. He sounds like a good guy, but he makes it way too easy for people to bash him. I've been annoyed with him myself lately. I wish he wouldn't be so involved in politics and would stop spouting insanely cliche'd blurbs about love and peace and dreaming in a country he's not even from.

Nothing new for the past 20 or so years. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom