Wow it just hit me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
All That You Can't Leave Behind is 10 years old... it seriously did not hit me until tonight, I remember so many people saying "Achtung Baby is XX old..." and figured it was left at older albums, but ATYCLB was my first U2 album... and it does not sound 10 years old at all... damn, I'm getting old. :sad:

Crazy how time flies...it was my first album too! I remember getting into U2 from the Best of 1980-1990 and going on my parents old dialup computer to hear 30 second clips of songs before ATYCLB came out.

You think that's bad? Imagine how Beatles fans from the 60s must feel. Sgt Pepper is shy of being FORTY-FIVE years old!:ohmy:

theu2fly said:
All That You Can't Leave Behind is 10 years old... it seriously did not hit me until tonight

ATYCLB was my first album too, I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. Wasn't it released in 2000? Which worryingly makes it even older!

It's because we're all getting old. :grumpy: I saw a tattoo parlor on the boardwalk yesterday that had a sign reading: "Over 10 Years' Experience." That sounds impressive, whereas saying "In Business Since 2001" sounds much less so...2001 doesn't really seem that long ago.

Sure was my first U2 album in a way, even though I was brought up with Achtung Baby and Zooropa in my wee years. It was the record that got me hooked, and I just celebrated the 10th anniversary of my first U2 concert at age 12 this past weekend. :hyper: :up:

:uhoh: Is Ringo okay?

Ringo is fine. I guess COBL forgot him. :sad:

-Yeah, it's hard to believe that Elevation was ten years ago too. Seems like yesterday. I went to 5 shows for that tour. I enjoyed that one the best. That was the tour before Bono's mangling of the lyrics really got out of control. Ahh, the good old days. :wink:

Sir Paul shares not only my birthday but my passion for sports cars and babes :sexywink:

Celebrity+Cars+2006+29fL9vIcYWSl.jpg

It'd be nice if they'd do a limited 10th anniversary pressing on vinyl. That's a bitch trying to find for a cheap price on the evilbay.

It'd be nice if they'd do a limited 10th anniversary pressing on vinyl. That's a bitch trying to find for a cheap price on the evilbay.
:up:
I love ATYCLB...having an affordable vinyl copy would be very nice indeed.

Without waiting another 10 years for the inevitable remaster, I mean.

ATYCLB was my first album, too; I bought it at Wal-Mart on October 13, 2001. That was 10 years ago…? That makes me feel old. I remember it so well. That time VH1 showed the Boston Elevation concert at Thanksgiving 2001 was the first time I ever saw a U2 concert in any form and it made me cry. And don't even mention that Bomb will be seven years old. How can that be?! I was a junior in high school and "Vertigo" was on the radio all the time and U2 played under the Brooklyn Bridge. That was my first new album experience (and there's only been one other since then :grumpy: ).

You know what else makes me feel old? My brother was here last weekend and we were talking about how we took such good care of our toys when we were kids and we were wondering if they're worth anything. So we looked on eBay, and our stuff from the 90s was listed as vintage. VINTAGE!! :shocked: I guess Achtung Baby is classic rock now; it seems so weird hearing Achtung Baby songs, Green Day, and Nirvana on the classic rock station next to all that old stuff they play on there.

I was in my first semester of college when ATYCLB came out, and I naturally didn't have much money. My parents visited me not long before the release date, and I told them I planned on waiting to buy it. My dad couldn't allow that though and gave me money for it. He said he could never deny me U2!

I love that album so much. :heart: It's hard to believe it's been that long.

Jesus, you guys are young. I grew up in the post-Elton John era. It was 1978 and Elton had been in "seclusion" for what seemed like decades—it was actually about a year.

Regardless, he was clearly past the glory days and I was embarrassed to admit to my friends that I was a big fan. Such a big fan that I'd built up this resentment toward what was on the radio at the time. Andy Gibb? Gimme a greak.

So round about this time, anti-radio music started appealing to me. Elvis Costello, The Clash, The Police. Wow, good stuff.

At any rate, it's interesting to note that in the mind of a teenager, Elton John was OLD news in 1978. EIGHT years after he started.

To put U2 in that same time frame, we're talking the Joshua Tree era. It's just amazing to me to think about that.

The ENTIRE length of the Beatles career was from Boy to Joshua Tree. U2 formed before freaking TOTO!! U2's first EP was released the same year as Dire Straits first record. Boy was released the same hear Huey Lewis and the News release their first record! Man, that stuff just blows my mind....

I don't go as far as you, LPU2, but I was thinking the same thing.

Mostly kids out there on the board nowadays, eh?

My aunt bought me The Unforgettable Fire cassette for my birthday just after it came out because I really liked Pride. I was 10.

That was 27 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom