Would you say that Invisible is one of 2014's best songs so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thread title

• Yes.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • U2 released music this year?

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
This.

I honestly can't remember the last time I've listened deliberately to a single post-Pop U2 song, other than maybe when one has come up on shuffle and I was distracted/too lazy to change it. I think I've legit listened to Invisible maybe three or four times?

I always listen to anything from War to Pop that comes up when I have my iTunes on shuffle, and universally hit the "next track button" for anything from ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH. I honestly don't even know why I still have those songs on my list, other than that I'm just way too lazy to go through a 12,000 song playlist to delete what I don't listen to anymore.

Then why all the entitled anger? Do you stalk ex girlfriends this long after they did you wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sometimes I wonder if people listen to U2 to listen to U2, or to revisit who they were when they fell in love with U2.

I think nostalgia is powerful, and enjoyable. It's great to revisit the past with the benefit of experience. Fewer things are more nostalgic than music (jus watch a Scorsese movie). We bond with albums and songs at different points in our lives. And I'm willing to bet most of us, at 36, will never fall as passionately in love with something like pop music as we did half a lifetime ago at 18. I spent nights losing sleep arguing about the best bands in history (and developing defensible, reasoned opinions). I would never do that today. How ridiculous.

But I also think the present bears consideration. And I think we do a disservice to ourselves when we listen to remember who we were rather than try and better understand who we are now. I'm not saying anything beyond it may take some work on our part to listen to the present with honest ears.

Sent from

I honestly cannot understand at all how anyone could be a fan of music and never listen to anything other than one single artist's output.

Neither - though for me that's perhaps a reaction to my own bafflement with my entirely nutty U2 listening habits of 2003-04. Like you a few other bands snuck into the mix (Crowded House, REM, Muse, that sort of thing; I remember discovering Pink Floyd in 2003) but that stuff was really only on the fringes. I remember justifying it by pointing to the size of U2's discography and all the bootlegs. In retrospect I missed out on a hell of a lot in those two years, since my listening habits before and especially since have been very broad. I think it's the only time I've got obsessed with something to the near-exclusion of everything else, and I really don't think that level of obsession is healthy, desirable, or a positive attribute in anyone.

LOL...sometimes I wonder how many people on Interference don't even really listen to U2 much anymore, but continue to post here out of habit, and follow the band out of sentimentality.

I really think a lot us may love the U2 that was, not the U2 that is. I'm probably one of them.

This is definitely me.

Put it this way - if U2 decided to have a major, major rethink about their next single after Invisipoop (and Ordinary Dump)...so much the better.

Then why all the entitled anger? Do you stalk ex girlfriends this long after they did you wrong?

Wow, really?

Why did you feel the need to go there?

You like analogies, and it was funny.

First, no, it wasn't funny at all. I don't find jokes about stalking and harrassing women to be particularly humorous. In fact, I think it takes a truly special kind of dick to find those kind of things "funny".

Second, I'm married, have been for five years now, and I've never "stalked" anyone in any way. You don't know shit about me outside of this place, so don't presume to.

Third, it was entirely un-called for, and don't know why you felt the need to bring up posts I made in an entirely different forum weeks ago, other than just to be an asshole. In that case, mission successful :up:

First, no, it wasn't funny at all. I don't find jokes about stalking and harrassing women to be particularly humorous. In fact, I think it takes a truly special kind of dick to find those kind of things "funny".

Second, I'm married, have been for five years now, and I've never "stalked" anyone in any way. You don't know shit about me outside of this place, so don't presume to.

Third, it was entirely un-called for, and don't know why you felt the need to bring up posts I made in an entirely different forum weeks ago, other than just to be an asshole. In that case, mission successful :up:

It wasn't personal, I don't know you, I don't know if you have ex-girlfriends, or who you do or do not date. It was just an analogy. You came in swinging, very angry, and then you come in here and basically say you don't care for U2 in over a decade. That doesn't make sense to me, it's like still getting angry and caring about what an ex girlfriend does that you haven't seen in over a decade.

If you took it personally than I apologize.

It wasn't personal, I don't know you, I don't know if you have ex-girlfriends, or who you do or do not date. It was just an analogy. You came in swinging, very angry, and then you come in here and basically say you don't care for U2 in over a decade. That doesn't make sense to me, it's like still getting angry and caring about what an ex girlfriend does that you haven't seen in over a decade.

If you took it personally than I apologize.

I can take a joke, or someone pointing out that I've contradicted something I said. It's the "stalker" bit and implying something about my "entitled anger" that I thought was completely unnecessary. Just crack a joke about me saying stupid shit, you don't have to accuse me of some sort of horrible thing to point out that something I said was inconsistent.

I just found your "analogy" to be completely forced and not at all relevant to the discussion, or anything I said. That's what aggravated me, it feels like you were just saying it to be a knob for no particular reason.

Either way, apology accepted. Let's drop it, life's too short.

I stalk women here all day. Why do you think April and BC left?

Back
Top Bottom