Would you say that Invisible is one of 2014's best songs so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thread title

• Yes.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • U2 released music this year?

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
This is my favourite Mrs. Garrison post. It is better than Invisible.

Invisible is good in the way that oatmeal becomes "good" when you add cinnamon sugar. It's still oatmeal.

In other words, it is extremely bland, mushy, a strange gray/beige colour, and completely unmemorable, IMO.

I don't think Invisible is a bad song, in fact i liked it when it came out i just think it was the wrong time to release that song. Should have probably came out in April or May...with an album to follow in June or July.

On a personal note, it came out at a really bad time for me so its hard to like anything associated with that time peroid. I fucking hate the month of February now more than ever.

I still find it an exciting song, the second verse (frozen days / frozen ways) has that unique U2-y pain-as-liberation and longing-as-transcendence that runs through their best work. It will be good live.

To not enough though, it actually sounds to best and clean by half, and deserves more time than it gets -- it doesn't quite make the impact it wouldn't it had more time to breath. It's an epic anthem mashed into a short rocker format.

Sent from

Dirty Gold - Angel Haze
Down in the Hole - Bruce Springsteen
Now We Are 16 - Thumpers
Don't Let It Go - Beck
In Reverse - The War on Drugs
Dead Friend - Against Me!
Never Going Home - Phantogram
Micheline - Sun Kil Moon
Kingdom - Common
Invisible - U2
Let Go - RAC f/Kele
Geryon - Trust
Possessed - Eagulls
It's Alright Now - Bombay Bicycle Club
Little Games - The Colourist
Treat Her Better - Mac Demarco
So Now You Know - The Horrors
Guide You Through the Shadows - Cunninlynguists
Warsaw - White Sea
In Vein - Rick Ross
Pseudologia Fantastica - Foster the People
Woman (In Mirror) - La Dispute
uuu - Caught a Ghost
So Blonde - EMA
Our Love - Sharon Van Etten

I am an OLD man.:|

It's a good song, a glimpse of an exciting future, but due to the nothingness that followed it was a prick tease and the musical equivalent of blue balls.

It didn't exactly resonate with the public either. I'm sure most people think U2's last song was Vertigo.

It's a good song but U2 has others in the bag that I'm sure are better. Especially with all the hyperbole from people who have heard the other songs. It would be a perfect album opener.

It's a good song, a glimpse of an exciting future, but due to the nothingness that followed it was a prick tease and the musical equivalent of blue balls.

It didn't exactly resonate with the public either. I'm sure most people think U2's last song was Vertigo.

Can we frame this post and give it pride of place somewhere on Interference?

I'd say in an absolute bias opinion that its definetly one of my favorite songs of 2014. But one of the best?....I don't know. I'm a young U2 fan. I'm only 17. So U2 isn't exactly the most popular music in my age group. I was shocked when I saw that someone had actually heard Invisible before. Because for the most part, U2 is pretty invisible to younger people. So I'd say its a top 10-15 song of 2014. But I doubt many, outside of U2 fans, would agree.

I'd say in an absolute bias opinion that its definetly one of my favorite songs of 2014. But one of the best?....I don't know. I'm a young U2 fan. I'm only 17. So U2 isn't exactly the most popular music in my age group. I was shocked when I saw that someone had actually heard Invisible before. Because for the most part, U2 is pretty invisible to younger people. So I'd say its a top 10-15 song of 2014. But I doubt many, outside of U2 fans, would agree.

I gotta ask: what made you get into U2 at this point?
And what other bands do you like?

Yeah. Not a typical 17 year old, I guess. But I always hated pop, rap, etc. and wasnt really into music. My dad was a huge U2 fan and I kinda listened to them a bit. I saw them on the 360 tour. I liked I will follow, streets, pride, etc. But about a year ago, I was doing a lot of travelling for mission trips, etc. and I was trying to find some music and later that day I stumbled upon the Glastonbury gig. First song I saw was The Fly. And about 15 minutes later I went up to the store and bought Achtung baby, Zooropa, and Pop. And I've been crazy hooked ever since.

And yes, there are a lot of people who think the only U2 songs that exist are vertigo, beautiful day and Sunday Bloody Sunday. Lol.

There might be hope for humanity after all......

Yeah. Not a typical 17 year old, I guess. But I always hated pop, rap, etc. and wasnt really into music. My dad was a huge U2 fan and I kinda listened to them a bit. I saw them on the 360 tour. I liked I will follow, streets, pride, etc. But about a year ago, I was doing a lot of travelling for mission trips, etc. and I was trying to find some music and later that day I stumbled upon the Glastonbury gig. First song I saw was The Fly. And about 15 minutes later I went up to the store and bought Achtung baby, Zooropa, and Pop. And I've been crazy hooked ever since.

My dad is a pretty big fan and bought the Elevation Boston DVD when I was 6. I saw Where the Streets Have No Name and The Fly and fell in love. Seeing them in Seattle on the 360 tour made me love them even more. I'm 19 now and I've loved U2 all my life, even though I've greatly expanded my musical tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

He can join the club.

your membership fee is late by the way...

I can't help but feeling this thread is simply a way for people to make fun of others who's music tastes begin and end at U2. While I think it's unfortunate that some do not bother to expand their horizons to each their own as far as I'm concerned.

And no, I probably wouldn't rank Invisible as one of 2014's best songs so far, but that's just me.

I can't help but feeling this thread is simply a way for people to make fun of others who's music tastes begin and end at U2. While I think it's unfortunate that some do not bother to expand their horizons to each their own as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly cannot understand at all how anyone could be a fan of music and never listen to anything other than one single artist's output.

Even at my most U2-crazy period when I was about 17 or 18 years old and thought that a hypothetical recording of Larry taking a dump in a port-a-shitter was superior to every other musical note ever hummed, played, or sung, I still liked and actively listened to other music. It wasn't much (some Pink Floyd, some 80's pop, a couple local Halifax bands (Joel Plaskett & Matt Mays - look them up, they're amazing) and whatever happened to come on the local Classic Rock radio station) but even still, if all I ever listened to was only one band, even one with as much stuff as U2 has, I would have been bored to tears :shrug:

LOL...sometimes I wonder how many people on Interference don't even really listen to U2 much anymore, but continue to post here out of habit, and follow the band out of sentimentality.

I really think a lot us may love the U2 that was, not the U2 that is. I'm probably one of them.

While some comedy would have sprung from EYKIW unanimously voting yes, I simply wanted to find out if Invisible was even holding up within U2's own fanbase, let alone beyond that. Apparently not so much.

LOL...sometimes I wonder how many people on Interference don't even really listen to U2 much anymore, but continue to post here out of habit, and follow the band out of sentimentality.

I really think a lot us may love the U2 that was, not the U2 that is. I'm probably one of them.

This.

I honestly can't remember the last time I've listened deliberately to a single post-Pop U2 song, other than maybe when one has come up on shuffle and I was distracted/too lazy to change it. I think I've legit listened to Invisible maybe three or four times?

I always listen to anything from War to Pop that comes up when I have my iTunes on shuffle, and universally hit the "next track button" for anything from ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH. I honestly don't even know why I still have those songs on my list, other than that I'm just way too lazy to go through a 12,000 song playlist to delete what I don't listen to anymore.

Back
Top Bottom