Would you mind more piano-driven U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha... well hey, it does have some things going for it. Mood, lyrics, subtle instrumentation. Something in that line of work could resonate with me!

I don't even entirely disagree ... to me, So Cruel is a case of a decent idea but poor execution. It could've been less plodding than it is.

I think all but like five or six people (up from the usual two or three for Achtung tracks) would say the same thing.

Come now, it's been a popular whipping boy on this forum for years! My fridge sounds like it, etc.

Yeah, a lot of people don't like that song.

djerdap said:
Yeah, a lot of people don't like that song.

It's a contextual thing. If it were on a 00s U2 album, it would be the considered the best song by miles.

As it is, it's the 10th best song on by far the most popular U2 on Interference. Hated? Sorry, no.

And it's an A+ as far as I'm concerned.

Achtung Baby:

So Cruel
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
WGRYWH
LIB
The Fly
Until the End of the World
TTTYAATW
One (but that don't mean I don't love it)
Mysterious Ways
Zoo Station
Even Better Than the Real Thing

So Cruel is terrific.

Do we need to fight?

No. I know every word to this album.

220px-Bryan_Adams_WUTN.jpg

If more piano means more songs like ... Beach Sequence ...

This is actually a really good point.

I've always thought Beach Sequence --> New Year's Day would be absolutely fantastic live. It'd be a great way to work in some Passengers, a treat for the diehards, to the live set without putting the casuals to sleep. They'd just think it's some fancy new intro.

Beach Sequence is one of the few ambient tracks I like off of Passengers. I could actually see it as an interlude for something...

Mm, I love tracks with piano in them. For example, New Year's Day. So a few more piano-driven songs by U2 wouldn't be bad, but I really want to see more guitar on the next album.

Original of the Species is in my top ten U2 songs. And I love So Cruel too. Mostly for the lyrics.

I love OOTS, Moment of Surrender, and Running to Stand Still. More piano wouldn't be horrible, but Edge is also a guitar player. I'd much rather hear Edge-driven guitar tracks than piano tracks.

I might have missed it scanning the thread, but not a mention of the piano / keyboard in NYD?

I always loved Edge moving from guitar to piano and back during NYD -- that is a song where I truly love the piano part.

Not sure how much piano is needed to "drive" a song, but more songs using piano as part of the song sounds OK to me.

Sadly, what I know about song structure, melody, harmony and other cool music words that end in 'y' fit on a pin-head.

Back
Top Bottom