Would you do GA again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I will definitely be doing General Admission for all the shows that I can attend of the next tour.
I have read all the comments here and since i've seen 20+ shows (All of them while having seats), I think it's time.

Carlos-

You mean you have never been inside the ellispe or heart at a U2 show?

That's as bad as going to a Dodger game during the World Series and having potentailly the best seats behind home plate and then going next door to the sports bar and watching the game on television.

You get it now brother?

btw-
how bout those Lakes?

<>

I just remembered - Boston had the best GA procedures of all the shows I attended - you lined up in the morning, they gave you a number and told you to return at 5pm and line up according to your number.

Anyone know if they've done this for subsequent GA shows for other artists? If so, I'll have to seriously consider going there again!

I guess I was blessed immensely. Sometimes someone I knew beeped, other times I beeped. Other times fellow fans took me in with them. Still other times I stayed outside the ellipse and enjoyed the show that way too. I'm neither here nor there about the lottery / ellipse, far as I can see it didn't make much difference to the die-hards who lined up at multiple shows anyways...

I just remembered - Boston had the best GA procedures of all the shows I attended - you lined up in the morning, they gave you a number and told you to return at 5pm and line up according to your number.

Anyone know if they've done this for subsequent GA shows for other artists? If so, I'll have to seriously consider going there again!

Boston was definately the best GA process. This will definately be one of my GA cities.

Does anyone do this anymore? I would love regular floor seating. When I was 15 I had 3rd row floor seating for REM and it was FANtastic.

If U2 abandoned their heart/oval or whatever shape and had regular floor seating and no GA's, then I'd do this too. But I have a feeling they will keep the GA tickets as those are "cheap" and U2/McGuinness can say how they have these "inexpensive" tickets available to fans. As I wrote, I'm not opposed to waiting out for hours upon hours as long as I have that chance of being in the top 200 and getting into the heart/oval or whatever. But to wait then be put in a lottery and have as much chance of entering as the guy who just showed up 2 minutes before the concert is not my idea of fun (I did that once last tour - never again!).

I've had nose bleed seats, really good seats, rear stage seats & GA tickets on 3 different tours. Without reservation, the only way I would take seats again is if they were ON the freakin' stage. :D
As Saracene put it, until we're too old to stand for the show, it's GA for Mr. Blu & I. :rockon:

That was awesome. :drool: Boston GA rules were def the best. :love: Although it was funny falling asleep at2am and waking up to snow. :lol:

I've never done U2 GA before and I'm not so sure that I even want to, based on GA experiences with other bands. I don't like standing on my feet all day. I also don't like feeling as though my bladder is going to explode. To be perfectly honest, I think regular floor seating is ten times better than standing GA. The seated floor atmosphere is fantastic if you're within the first twenty rows, and it has the added bonus of you not being exhausted/trampled to death by the time the show starts. Plus, you can have a pee break without the challenge of elbowing your way back to the front!

I can definitely understand this perspective, and you hit on a lot of the things I dislike about doing GA. The problem is, though, that if U2 ever goes back to floor seats, the good ones will realistically be $250+ :doh:

I'd do GA if they got rid of the lottery system, or enforced it better so it couldn't be exploited, at least... I heard quite a few people figured out a loophole of some kind to guarantee a spot inside the ellipse, including some on this board. I just don't think that was fair to all of the other people who waited in line fairly.

The whole idea behind the lottery system was silly as well. Apparently the band wanted to mix it up every night, yet they would pull up the same people multiple times, totally voiding their reasoning in the first place. LOL. Anyway... yeah, my vote would be to get rid of the lottery completely.

Yes I would. I was lucky enough to get inside the elipse in Vancouver but had I not gotten in no big deal. I was there way early enough that I'd have been front row outside the elipse anyways which wouldn't be all that bad. Inside the elipse is super fun and I personally think it's better at the back inside the elipse. More freedom to move around and watch the show and the guys use that catwalk so they come close enough throughout the show. I had way more fun at the back than I would've had I worried about securing my position in the front row for the entier show. Plus at the back of the elipse everything is always for the most part right in front of you. I'd do GA again. But I'd really like to sit in the lower bowl in the middle of the section just out front of the stage. I've yet to sit there.

I'd do GA if they got rid of the lottery system, or enforced it better so it couldn't be exploited, at least... I heard quite a few people figured out a loophole of some kind to guarantee a spot inside the ellipse, including some on this board. I just don't think that was fair to all of the other people who waited in line fairly.

The whole idea behind the lottery system was silly as well. Apparently the band wanted to mix it up every night, yet they would pull up the same people multiple times, totally voiding their reasoning in the first place. LOL. Anyway... yeah, my vote would be to get rid of the lottery completely.

I went to 10 shows last tour.. I can tell you with much certainity that this indeed happened.. Pissed me the f**k off.. :mad: And you are correct in what you are saying..
They do need to do away with the lottery system.. I am not sure there is another system (maybe wristband scenario that Bruce Springsteen does, seems to work) they could go with.. :shrug:

I can definitely understand this perspective, and you hit on a lot of the things I dislike about doing GA. The problem is, though, that if U2 ever goes back to floor seats, the good ones will realistically be $250+ :doh:

i would eat braed and water for weeks to get a guaranteed good seat. Well, maybe Pot Noodle if I was feeling fancy :wink:

ok im 15 but im 6 ft 2 and my friend is much shorter and we will definitely be going to the next u2 concert in melbourne and my bet is that it will be at telstra dome again..
i dont have a lot of money but i can save up if i want but i wont be going to both shows if there is two.. so do i lineup and do GA or put in a lot of money for seats? ga seems a lot more fun but im not suree

ok im 15 but im 6 ft 2 and my friend is much shorter and we will definitely be going to the next u2 concert in melbourne and my bet is that it will be at telstra dome again..
i dont have a lot of money but i can save up if i want but i wont be going to both shows if there is two.. so do i lineup and do GA or put in a lot of money for seats? ga seems a lot more fun but im not suree

GA! It's the onnnnnnnnnly way! :yes:

The two best concerts I've ever been to were both GA - U2 in Cleveland and Muse at Lollapalooza.

I'm short (5'1"), and at Muse I was not extremely close, so I had to jump up and down to see - but I was jumping up and down anyway, and I had the time of my life. If the performance is good enough, it'll transcend you not being able to see half the time :wink: of course this is coming from someone who likes to rock the fuck out at concerts, so I was headbangin and shit

When I did GA with U2 I ended up on the rail, Edge side, and it was absolutely amazing. Of course the concert itself was the best part, but waiting in the GA line was fun too, braving the Cleveland cold at 5 in the morning and meeting people... I will absolutely be doing GA again. I might try and get a seat for one show to see the whole spectacle, but the experience is just so different with GA, and the concerts I tend to enjoy the most I'm GA for. Nothing beats rockin' out at the front. Also, GA is cheaper, and I'm hoping to go to 3-5 shows this tour if possible, and the only way I'm going to be able to afford that at all would be with GA tix

:up: :pray:

You and I are soooooooooo the same!!!!! :wink: We need to go to a show together sometime. We would have the MOST fun out of everyone there!!!!

yes indeed...perhaps a Bloc show? :wink: when I saw Bloc in Chicago the crowd was awesome, really into it... in Indy the crowd was laaame, buncha hipsters...until the encore, then it was basically a moshpit :D

man how awesome would it be if Bloc opened for U2 next tour :drool: i freaking wish

Can someone explain what GA means and how its fun or like what goes on when your doing 'GA'?

Is it general admission? And do you camp infront of the ticketbooth or something? lol

I somehow managed to not meet a single person from this board during the last tour, despite spending three entire days in GA lines. I had a few spottings of people I was supposed to look out for, but no actual meetings. In fact, in Buffalo, I spent the entire day in line by myself between two groups of guys who shot down every attempt I made at conversation :|

I did three days of GA in a row back in May for Wilco, and they were all a blast because I was hanging out with people from the Wilco board. That made me realize that I need to try harder to meet up with people next tour.

My experience hanging out in the GA line was a bit of a dud. The people around me were not interested in talking to anyone not in their own little groups, so that was a big bummer.

But further up the line were a few folks I'd met before, and we hung out a bit. But I was hoping for the GA experience of talking with fellow fans and whatnot.

My second experience hanging out in line was a total bust - Portland's weather was so miserable I only lasted about a half hour before I said "screw this" and went back to the hotel. :angry:

My experience hanging out in the GA line was a bit of a dud. The people around me were not interested in talking to anyone not in their own little groups, so that was a big bummer.

But further up the line were a few folks I'd met before, and we hung out a bit. But I was hoping for the GA experience of talking with fellow fans and whatnot.

My second experience hanging out in line was a total bust - Portland's weather was so miserable I only lasted about a half hour before I said "screw this" and went back to the hotel. :angry:

i was in Portland GA... wish I had of known ya then you could of hung with me. :hug: Yes, the nastiest weather ever... :huh:

Weakling :tsk:

I went to Buffalo expecting to be outside all day. I had on long underwear and three pairs of socks, along with a sweater over two other shirts. They ended up letting us inside, and I got so hot that I was sweaty by the end of the concert and ended up getting one of the worst colds of my life.

i was in Portland GA... wish I had of known ya then you could of hung with me. :hug: Yes, the nastiest weather ever... :huh:

Because of the weather, Portland on the Vertigo tour was my worst experience every. Being a good trooper, I stayed out in the rain and snow the entire time, huddling in people's tents but still getting soaked. What did I get for it? I passed out halfway through the show - ON THE FRONT RAIL. My face was blue from the cold for three days afterward.

I was able to get Adam's autograph on a ATYCLB cover, but since it was pouring it has almost faded.

Back
Top Bottom