Would you do GA again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I'm concerned, GA is the only option. It's a concert, not a movie; I want to stand. I was lucky that the one time I did seats at a U2 show, my section stood, but that's a rare experience - almost every other show I've had seats for, nobody's stood, and that's just dull.

Plus, with GA, I have a much better shot of getting very close to the stage.

To elaborate on my response I agree with axver here. The few times I had a seat I was miserable cuz the people around me just sat the whole time and I couldn't fully enjoy myself, it just sucked! No other experience than to be up close as well as paying the least amount for a ticket... best seat in the house. It is so worth it to me to wait all that time in line and the physicalness of it (sore legs and feet)and the stress of getting a good spot. Cuz once that show starts you are catapulted into another world that full of joy, bliss and this crazy energy. You walk away feeling like something or someone completely different.. for me anyways.

No. If that was my only option though, I'd go.

I don't regret going GA once, it was a cool experience, and I had fun being so close to the action. However, crowds make me kind of anxious at times. I was actually so freaked out that after waiting all day and getting my spot, I almost left before the opening act came on...but I knew I'd never forgive myself if I bailed, so I made myself stay. Still, it would have been nice to just have my own designated spot, I think I would have felt more comfortable. Also, I went to the show by myself, so I was lined up outside in the cold with no company. Being alone meant that I had no buddy to hold my spot, so there were no bathroom breaks for me. Once I went to the bathroom before I left home to head to the venue, there was no going again until the end of the show.

So...maybe GA would have been better with a friend, but I'll still be looking for seats next time around.

depends on the set up. i have seen u2 25 times, with about 10 being GA. 3 times I was against the stage in the front row. those three make it worth waiting, and would do that again in a heartbeat. if GA is truly those who line up the earliest get the best spots, i would line up and wait all day.

i really didn't like the lottery on vertigo tour, and i would be hesistant to go wait in line all day for a chance to be in the very front. being outside the ellipse in the front is good, but not worth waiting all day for.

all things equal, if i could have a ticket on the section right next to the stage within 10 rows or so, I would much rather have that than being at the back of the floor. if you don't win the lottery you get surrounded by all the people who didn't bother to line up early, and from my experience they just talk the whole time. that absolutely ruins a show for me.

so i will do GA if its just one big open floor or there is no lottery this time. otherwise i will get tickets that are right next to the stage, and get there right before it starts.

too bad we can't go back to the old days where it was all assigned seatings, and the best tickets went to propaganda members.

^^ agreed the lottery thing sucked and didn't not work ultimately the way it was intended, mixing it up crowd wise. The same people managed to get into the ellipse at least everytime I went (10 shows last tour).

I think its just best to go back to the first come first choice scenario (of course people will still complain about the same people in front everytime but I don't know what other way we could fix this, other option):shrug:

I've seen the last two tours from GA, three times for Elevation and twice for Vertigo.

The first two Elevation shows were by far the best - in fact they rank up there with two of my all-time best concert experiences of all time - simply because at the time not as many people where aware of the "first X number of fans in the GA line go into the heart" policy. Because of this, for both Toronto Elevation shows I was in the heart - first night on Adam's side, second night on Edge's side. :up:

The last show I saw on that Tour in Hamilton was on the return leg of the tour after 911 and by that time everyone was wise to the heart policy so I ended up on the outside - it wasn't terrible - more crowding then I would like but not too bad.

For the Vertigo shows it was a totally different experience, especially the first night for Toronto. We lined up early (7 am) and waited all day in the heat in downtown Toronto. The whole lottery thing is great in principle I guess but when you don't get in, it tends to really piss you off. The crowd itself was much more annoying than previous shows I had been to and there was a lot of pushing and stepping on feet. While the show itself was amazing the experience was a tad irritating.

I would have to say in the future I will probably try to get GA for one night and seats for another so I can experience it both ways...

I find the recent responses about not liking GA due to a fear of crowds or shortness to be interesting. I hate large crowds and I actively avoid places like shopping centres at traditionally busy times, and I'm not exactly the tallest guy in the world (I'm 5'6-7"). But to me, a concert's something different entirely, and once the band's on stage, I'm in my own little world; there could be just five other people in the crowd, or there could be fifty thousand for all I know. And being legally blind, I'm almost never close enough to see, so I focus on the sound and the band's energy and somebody tall in front of me isn't a monumental concern since I probably wasn't going to see much anyway. Even in arenas, I've been front row and U2's stage setup is so large that I've had trouble seeing all that much. And I would certainly say that being able to stand up and rock out to the sound in GA is a whole lot more enjoyable than being tied to a seat.

The crowd itself was much more annoying than previous shows I had been to and there was a lot of pushing and stepping on feet.

I felt that way too at Toronto 1 however it was more due to a certain person who we discussed in the Bar, elfa. But I've heard others say the same thing, that the first night everyone was on edge and the other nights people were in better spirits..did you attend any of the other nights?

i really didn't like the lottery on vertigo tour, and i would be hesistant to go wait in line all day for a chance to be in the very front.

The people who saw shows after opening night were lucky - at least they were aware that there would be a lottery and could choose whether or not they wanted to take that chance. I was one of the people at the first show in San Diego who had the news dropped on them in the morning - after spending sixteen hours in a parking lot. Ten more hours later and I was three-deep behind the rail with a two-digit number written on my hand watching people with three-digit numbers cruise happily around the ellipse. And then, like martha said, the crowd surged forward and I had to get out.

I did seats for the rest of the tour and had an amazing time at every show.

The people who saw shows after opening night were lucky - at least they were aware that there would be a lottery and could choose whether or not they wanted to take that chance. I was one of the people at the first show in San Diego who had the news dropped on them in the morning - after spending sixteen hours in a parking lot. Ten more hours later and I was three-deep behind the rail with a two-digit number written on my hand watching people with three-digit numbers cruise happily around the ellipse. And then, like martha said, the crowd surged forward and I had to get out.

I did seats for the rest of the tour and had an amazing time at every show.

It still pisses me off whenever you recount that story. Ok, fine, do the lottery, but don't drop it on people who expected the exact opposite, and at the very last minute. :down:

Another reason I may opt for seats more than GA this time, so as not to deal with certain drama that arises out of the lineups, etc.

Yeah, I was trying not to recount it but every time someone mentions the lottery I get bitter all over again.

Having seats also allowed some of us to get together before certain shows and that was more valuable to me than standing in line for thirty hours with a bunch of tense fans who would just as soon elbow me in the ribs for a chance to get two inches closer to The Edge.

I've never done GA before, because the friend I always go to concerts with is very short and we both don't do well in large crowds. However, after hearing so many good things about GA, we'll definitely be doing that for the next tour. We'll probably get seats for one show, but we definitely have to give GA a shot. :up:

If U2 removes the restrictions/lottery system (or works out a better method), I would consider GA again. For the Elevation Tour, I put my time out in the line because I knew that would most likely gain me a spot in the heart - and it did. :applaud: However, for the Vertigo tour, I put my time in the line only to find myself a few rows back from the oval while inside the oval was VERY empty. :angry:

I'm not that willing to wait 12+ hours for a chance to get into the heart/oval or whatever, and then stand another few hours for the concert. My feet were killing me the one time I did that. I'd rather spend the extra $$, but get a seat really close to the stage (and U2.com always came through for me there). This way, I can get to the concert on time (no waiting), and I have a guaranteed seat.

Bottom line - if there's another heart/oval shape and another lottery system, then no GA for me this tour.

Either way is fine with me. Just being there is good enough for me :up:

I did GA for the last tour, didn't get into the ellipse but also didn't wait more than 8 hours in line. Both times I was one "layer" back just outside the ellipse and LOVED it. I will def. do GA again for at least one show next tour. This time I"ll be taking my son (he'll be 5 next spring :wink: ) so I'll have to get seats for at least that show. And it will be nice to be able to pee.

As far as waiting in line by myself, I didn't mind. I made friends with the two girls behind me and we chatted most of the time, and even stood together and 'hung out' for the whole show.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some Interferers this time 'round and I like the idea of having seats so we can hang out before. But I'm sure there'll be some Blue Crackers in the GA line too!

I felt that way too at Toronto 1 however it was more due to a certain person who we discussed in the Bar, elfa. But I've heard others say the same thing, that the first night everyone was on edge and the other nights people were in better spirits..did you attend any of the other nights?

Isee.jpg

I went to the next night and had a better time - it's a shame though that the setlist for the first night was better.

Absolutely I would. Last tour I got right by the B stage, and it was just incredible. I've done GA for 3 tours now, as well as seated for one show last tour. The GA wins hands down everytime. I'll keep on doing GA til I'm old and grey and my knees won't hold me up anymore:wink:

Hell no! I will never do GA again. In Popmart and Elevation I got a seat and got to see the whole show, lights, band etc etc, on the Vertigo tour I paid the membership to get my GA tickets then waited in line for like 6 hours, didn't get into the elipse and was stock behind 3 rows of people of which the guy directly in front of me on the first row kept holding up a sign when BONO got close and thus I missed most of it cos his f_cking sign was so big and I had a guy and a girl beside me who were drunk and spelt beer all over me. HELL no never again in my life will i do GA!!!

I haven't had any bad GA experiences (Vancouver was close, but it was just bad compared to the others, not a hellish experience), but I'm torn.

On the one hand, yeah - the floor is the place to be. On the other hand, it's such a huge pain in the ass. Part of it is that I get wound pretty tight about all those unknowns, and a tense corianderstem isn't a fun corianderstem to be around. I'm too much of a control freak. :wink:

I'll be very happy if they find a better way of doing the heart/ellipse or whatever. Not everyone will be happy with whatever they come up with, but what can you do?

If I had the chance to see a stadium show, you could not pay me enough money to do GA. That's just way too many people. I watched the GA crowd in the 3D movie and just the thought of being in that mass of humanity made me want to go hide under my bed.

GA is worth the hours in line, sleeping on the sidewalk, elbows in the rib, standing all day, waiting to pee, ending up behind the tall guy, holding onto the rail for dear life, etc. etc. etc. Nothing beats the atmosphere and the eventual payoff. I've had the best time in GA, whether I was way at the back by the soundboard or right on the rail. The one time I had seats was ok, but it doesn't compare. Best times ever!

If I had the chance to see a stadium show, you could not pay me enough money to do GA. That's just way too many people. I watched the GA crowd in the 3D movie and just the thought of being in that mass of humanity made me want to go hide under my bed.
The amount of people at a stadium show makes no difference if you're right up front, but then of course you have to sacrifice all day being in line to secure that spot. I personally had a lot of fun in the Hawaii line :D but I'm sure not everyone would want to do that.

I wouldn't do stadium GA if I was further back though :no:

Absolutelyfreakinpositively! Although hopefully they will come around me during the warm weather this time! For those who haven't done it, its an experience not to be missed.

Absolutely! GA is the reason why I want to go to shows. When you're in front of the stage, it doesn't matter if there are 4.000 or 40.000 people behind and around you. Only being stuck in the middle of the crowd sucks, then I prefer seats.

Maybe they should perform in the round. Then plenty of spots on the floor will have great views, and there won't be anyone stuck behind the stage, and it's generally a great view for all. I saw Peter Gabriel in the round several years ago. Here's a clip from a show on that tour (I think) YouTube - Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes (Live)

Every other time I've seen U2 (with one other exception), I've had a seat. I was able to see, to stand, to dance, to rest, to pee and still have my seat. I'll take one of the seats y'all don't want. :D

I totally agree. I like having my own designated area where I can have all my stuff, my drink, whatever and move around if I want to without getting lost. I did GA for my last Vertigo show just for the experience (I was lucky enough to see the show pretty much for all angles during the course of the tour) and learned that I definitely prefer seats.

For me, GA is the only way to go. I've done it both ways, and seats just don't compare.

GA is only worth it if you put in the time, though. I would imagine that being several rows back, stuck in the middle of a sea of people would be an awful experience. Waiting 15-20 hours and getting on the rail (or close to it) is something entirely different. To me, it's worth it. By the time the band comes out, I tend to forget that my feet are killing me and I'm hungry and I have to pee. The energy on the floor is intense, and I love it.

I figure if I can't get a GA for face, I'd rather pay a ridiculous markup for it than spend the same amount on a good seat.

In a heartbeat.
I never paid more than face for the last 2 tours which altogether was about 15 shows in the heart/ellipse.
Money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom