Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys can probably guess what I'll say.

It may not be their worst, but my least favorite U2 song ever is definitely Unknown Caller.

I'll admit, the lyrics to Unknown Caller are a little, hmmm how do I say this, a little "ripped right out of Bono's computer service manual". But other than that, I really enjoy The Edge's guitar work on the song.

Shadows and Tall Trees :down:
Grace :yawn:
and even though people like this song ... When Love Comes To Town. Sorry but I hate this horrible song. :reject:

I personally don't like:

Almost everything on October.
Vertigo.
Yahweh.
Miami.
If God will send His angels.
No line on the horizon (except Magnificent).
New York.
Grace.
Love and peace or else.
Crumbs from your table.
A man and a woman.
One step closer.
The refugee.

Honestly I never even listen to anything earlier than UF, but there are surely some clunkers in there.

When I first bought Pop, I hated Miami with a passion, but now I like it. I think it's one of the best songs on that album.

I really do hate Crazy Tonight and SUC though.

I don't care for Elvis Ate America.

The deep, raspy "Elvis"'s in the background really make me cringe

I think I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Elvis Presley and America. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, like a watercolor painting or something. The key is to not think about the lyrics, just treat the vocals like another instrument.

I think I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Elvis Presley and America. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, like a watercolor painting or something. The key is to not think about the lyrics, just treat the vocals like another instrument.
bingo.

it's a lovely song. people seem to not like it because it doesn't mean anything.

My problem with it is that it's just Bono doing his Bonoglese thing over the slowed-down track to ASOH. It feels like a cheat to slot it into the album over a finished song.

I like how it's all atmospheric and on my good days, I will agree that it seems to work on the album, but I don't think it's a "good song," because of what I said above.

My problem with it is that it's just Bono doing his Bonoglese thing over the slowed-down track to ASOH. It feels like a cheat to slot it into the album over a finished song.

I like how it's all atmospheric and on my good days, I will agree that it seems to work on the album, but I don't think it's a "good song," because of what I said above.
i can buy that. i'm just trying to think of what finished songs it beat to make it onto the album?

that we know of, of course.

Well, I don't know. I don't know that Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises would have fit on the album better - I usually don't have a strong enough opinion on tracklistings and stake such a claim.

I can't imagine it actually was a matter of "well, none of these other songs really fit on the album, but this bit of Bono's mumbly-joe act over a slowed down rehash of the first track is kind of moody, so let's go with that."

On second thought, maybe that was the actual conversation that took place. :wink:

Well, I don't know. I don't know that Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises would have fit on the album better - I usually don't have a strong enough opinion on tracklistings and stake such a claim.

I can't imagine it actually was a matter of "well, none of these other songs really fit on the album, but this bit of Bono's mumbly-joe act over a slowed down rehash of the first track is kind of moody, so let's go with that."

On second thought, maybe that was the actual conversation that took place. :wink:

shit, i'm having plenty of senior moments right now. i forgot totally about those tracks and/or thought they were from different eras.

i tend to agree with your theory there...this is the same band that whacked trip through your wires onto the joshua tree.

Was that a late decision to go onto the album? I don't really know much about it.

I like Trip, just not nearly as much as the other songs. It's like Tryin' to Throw on AB - I honestly like both songs, but they're just not as good as the others on each album. Just a testament to how amazing the rest of those albums are, as I wouldn't say either of those songs are by any means "bad."

Lyrically, Trip Through your Wires fits perfectly on the album. It's got that whole desert vibe goin'.

(And not just because the word "desert" appears in the song.)

i'd imagine trip was one of the first songs to get picked for the album. this is just based off that appearance of them drunkenly performing an early version of it on tv, so i don't know.

this.

at the right times i dig it but it's an interesting, experimental, heavily Eno-influenced b-side.

Bono sounds like he's drifting in and out of consciousness.

can you imagine if that was released today?

bingo.

it's a lovely song. people seem to not like it because it doesn't mean anything.

I don't even think of it as a song. It's just a rambling recitation with music in the background. There are a lot better songs on the bonus disk to TUF than this!

Some Days Are Better Than Others. Honestly the lyrics...:down::down::down:

That was going to be my pick. Always has been my least favorite song by the band, it's just...boring and bleh.

Edit: Though cobl04's suggestion is interesting...certainly a new way to look at the song :p.

Lyrically, Trip Through your Wires fits perfectly on the album. It's got that whole desert vibe goin'.

(And not just because the word "desert" appears in the song.)

This is true.

I like "Trip Through Your Wires", damnit :angry:.

Angela

I'd say many of the very worst U2 songs are the ones I don't even remember. They're forgettable. Nothing worse for a song than to be this.

Boy, October & Original Soundtracks 1 have most of these for me. Oh, and I don't recall some of the earlier b-sides, like Touch and Treasure.

Maybe 25% of U2's catalogue is forgettable. Not bad if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom