Worst Song Survivor: The 2000s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fucking hell...essentially, Viva Davidoff just became a 'better' track than Big Girls Are Best. :eeklaugh:

Man, I like practically all of these songs. My opinion on what the worst material from this band was in the 00s certainly doesn't mesh with the majority on this forum.

If we've learnt anything from the polling in this round compared to others - both in terms of raw participation and how many songs individuals are willing to vote for - it's that the 2000s really are much less popular than the other eras.

Whoooooo I'm overwhelmed by the crapola on show here. If U2 had formed in 2000 (I.e AttyClub, Hutub and NLOTH were their only three albums to date) I'd probably -nay, definitely - think they were a mostly shit band and ridiculously overrated :reject:

Haha, yeah, for sure. This is a dire selection and it feels all too much like the tip of the iceberg. The worst part is that most of these are actually musically OK, as far as I'm concerned - it's dumb fucking lyrics that kill them. Stand Up Comedy, for instance, does not offend me musically, but the lyrics are so fucking inane. With better lyrics, some of these songs I'd either not really think of that strongly, or probably like. Love and Peace or Else is a great example of a track I really dig musically but roll my eyes at lyrically.

Wtf is drunk chicken. Is there really a song called drunk chicken?

Yep, Drunk Chicken/America was a bonus track with the Joshua Tree remaster. We all expected something silly or funny. Instead we got some random demo jam with Bono reciting Allen Ginsberg's poem "America" over the top.

Get On Your Boots i've moaned about way too many times so I think it's wise I say very little more on it. I just wish that more people felt the same way some of us felt for Boots as they do about Stand Up Comedy. That song gets fucking crucified by a great number of people here at any given opportunity but somehow Get On Your Boots is tolerated?! :wink: I feel a bit of a hypocrite when I think Stand Up Comedy isn't as bad as Boots and actually sit through it instead of skipping sometimes. But I'd be an idiot to ignore the fact that the pair of them, not just Boots, break up what would have been a much better album without them.

Boots was a shitty lead single and has some bad lyrics, but Comedy, oh god, the first two thirds of that are some the worst excrement U2 have put on record. I actually think the final third is promising, but nothing can forgive the "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" lyric. Perhaps the worst U2 lyric ever. Perhaps. In particular there are some similarly repugnant turds in Winter's lyrics.

fucking hell...essentially, Viva Davidoff just became a 'better' track than Big Girls Are Best. :eeklaugh:

I'd prefer a bland ambient track to something that actually grates on my ears.

The worst part is that most of these are actually musically OK, as far as I'm concerned - it's dumb fucking lyrics that kill them. Stand Up Comedy, for instance, does not offend me musically, but the lyrics are so fucking inane. With better lyrics, some of these songs I'd either not really think of that strongly, or probably like. Love and Peace or Else is a great example of a track I really dig musically but roll my eyes at lyrically.

Agreed. And Love and Peace is a good example. Musically, it is not bad. But those lyrics... sheesh! Nothing like a brick-in-the-face "hey guys, we're U2... we need love and peace, guys!.. c'mon... love and peace, or else we will bore you to death! Where is the love????"

Sometimes I think HTDAAB would be much better if it were purely instrumental. I like the music, to at least some degree, on almost every track.

It's not even as if Bono was a consistently great lyricist prior to the 2000s. There are some real clunkers littering old albums, even those where he's in top lyrical form 90% of the time. I've always maintained some of his best lyrics are on Pop (e.g. Please), side by side with some of his worst (e.g. Miami). But the clunkers just somehow managed to be less annoying and distracting in the past.

Well, lol... on Miami I cannot agree. I mean, of course it is not high poetry but I think it's a pretty casual cool track in the middle of Pop. It describes many interesting things that the band/Bono saw in Miami and that percussion kicks ass! I know I'm in the minority but I love Miami. :drool:

Hmm.... I don't know if this is a general rule for me. But I really like it when the band doesn't take itself too seriously and just kind of lays back and lets the song just happen. Most of their stuff from the 2000s has the complete opposite of this attitude where they are trying too hard. Examples: Walk On, Kite, Sometimes, Love and Peace etc. Maybe that's why I have grown to actually like something like Wild Honey(despite a few terrible lyrics in there)... cos it is so casual. I don't know.

I can't vote for stand up comedy, since I'm not allied to vote for songs I've never heard. For the longest time I just assumed the song was called something else that laz & crew had renamed stand up comedy, because the title is that stupid.

Disappointed about the drunk chicken, but that's on par with what I sort of expected.

I can't vote for stand up comedy, since I'm not allied to vote for songs I've never heard. For the longest time I just assumed the song was called something else that laz & crew had renamed stand up comedy, because the title is that stupid.

Disappointed about the drunk chicken, but that's on par with what I sort of expected.

lol.. don't take this the wrong way but from the limited number of posts of yours that I've seen on this forum, you don't come off as a U2 fan at all... or even a fan of similar kind of music! What are your, say, 10 favourite U2 songs? I'm just curious.

lol.. don't take this the wrong way but from the limited number of posts of yours that I've seen on this forum, you don't come off as a U2 fan at all... or even a fan of similar kind of music! What are your, say, 10 favourite U2 songs? I'm just curious.

IWB isn't much a fan of anything. But I am quite curious to see her top 10 U2 songs :hmm:

I don't know. they're not a band I listen to anymore. Out of Control, I Will Follow, Running to Stand Still, If God Will Send His Angels, Always, So Cruel, Ultraviolet, Numb, the live version of 40 from UABRS, and last place can go to a three way tie to tomorrow, tuf, or a sort of homecoming. Probably something like that.

I've been professing my newly discovered love of depeche mode for the last couple months, so fuck off?

That last bit was for cobbler. I am not saying "omg depeche mode sound like U2" because I have no idea what "similar music" means anymore. More to point out that i cant get enough of their stuff at the moment. but if similar to u2 these days means dull like Htdaab/Coldplay, though, I want no part of it.

Did not expect Angels, but that is a cool list. I love that version of 40 so much.

I am only joking, I hope you know... I've seen your love for Depeche Mode grow exponentially.

Yeah, i know you were kidding, which is why i told you to fuck off. You're hardly the guy to take that seriously. I am far too apathetic to be seriously telling people on the u2 related parts of this site to fuck off anyway.

I think I mentioned before in this thread that I liked that song. I could drop it for the fly and not care one way or the other.

I heard that version of 40 before any other version of the song, and it seemed like such an epic close for the red rocks video that I was always quite disappointed in the album version.

Delta Machine is good. It has some clunky songs, and it's by no stretch of the imagination ground-breaking re-invention, but it's pretty solid. And I waited til I had familiarize myself with about 2/3 of their back catalog before I listened to it (as the pulling a cobbler joke goes).

I almost re-phrased the entire thing so someone wouldn't feel the need to do that, but then I realized I didn't care.

i've logged in here for the first time in over 2 years to say I'm sad to see SUC is so hated by U2 fans.. I still think it's brilliant and also so disapointed they never played it live.

i've logged in here for the first time in over 2 years to say I'm sad to see SUC is so hated by U2 fans.. I still think it's brilliant and also so disapointed they never played it live.

You may be the only person on this site who thinks either of those things. :wink:

Personally, I wish they'd play it once, just for the hell of it.

Just not at a show I'm at though.

Back
Top Bottom