Worst Song Survivor: GRAND FINAL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song(s).
DO NOT vote for songs you have not heard. This is the VERY LAST round. The results of this round will be the forum's U2 Bottom 20. You may vote for as many or as few songs as you like, remembering each vote cast (or not cast) is valuable in determining the final rank order.

Welcome to Worst Song Survivor, a spinoff from Best Song Survivor v2 that shouldn't be taken too seriously. This is a quickfire tournament for shits and giggles, to see what Interference's least favourite U2 song is. The selection criteria was simple: every song that received 0-5 votes in the album rounds of Best Song Survivor v2 automatically qualified, while each album had to contribute a certain number of songs according to a seeding system - the less popular the album was in the latest Best Album Survivor, the more songs it had to contribute. Hence the appearance of some songs that exceeded five votes. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your least favourite tracks (within reason). Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

If we learnt anything from the 2000s round, it's that Interference really doesn't like that era relative to the eighties or nineties - a shocking revelation, I know. More voters participated, and more songs were chosen per voter, than in any previous era, and by a distinct margin too. The five songs that advance to the grand final were nonetheless clearly (dis)favoured over the rest: Big Girls Are Best was seen as the worst, followed by Stand Up Comedy, All Because of You, Grace, and Winter.

The grand final features songs from every U2 era except UF, Zooropa, and Pop. Album tracks made it from War (two), Rattle and Hum (one), Passengers (three), ATYCLB (one), HTDAAB (one), and NLOTH (one). Boy, October, JT, and Achtung are only represented by non-album tracks from their eras. JT and Passengers both sent through the most tracks; those two eras contributed four songs each. The finalists include just one song released as a single, All Because of You, and no songs from Best Ofs, though The Hands That Built America got fairly close to being a finalist.

Winter pisses me off the most, largely because there are people who actually think it's good.

Winter pisses me off the most, largely because there are people who actually think it's good.

Winter is the song whose presence here surprises me the most. I think it's a pleasant song, and I love the outro on the Linear version. I also think the line 'summer sings in me no more' is kind of poignant. Thought the 'butter on toast' line is unfortunate.

I get the feeling this is going to turn into a race between Drunk Chicken, Viva Davidoff, Elvis Ate America, and Big Girls Are Best.

Quite a contrast to 2005, when Theme From The Swan came second, J. Swallow came third, Big Girls Are Best and Elvis Ate America didn't make the final (though EAA was due to only one song per album advancing), and we'd not yet suffered Drunk Chicken.

Big Girls Are Best is the worst with All Because Of You as a 'worthy' runner up.

Time for Von Schloop to enter this thread I'd say.

Stand Up Comedy and Wave Of Sorrow.

Boy/Girl(Another Day is far worse), Refugee, Plot 180, Near The Island and dare I say Grace are a little unlucky to be here.

I get the feeling this is going to turn into a race between Drunk Chicken, Viva Davidoff, Elvis Ate America, and Big Girls Are Best.

Quite a contrast to 2005, when Theme From The Swan came second, J. Swallow came third, Big Girls Are Best and Elvis Ate America didn't make the final (though EAA was due to only one song per album advancing), and we'd not yet suffered Drunk Chicken.

Theme from The Swan, Really? I think it's a beautiful piece.

Again another vote for SUC. For me, it carries more weight than a song like Drunk Chicken because U2 actually decided to put that awful song on an album.

I'm genuinely surprised Ito Okashi and Boy/Girl are polling so strongly. What do people have against them? I'm especially surprised they're polling ahead of Viva Davidoff, which looks like it won't even make the top five.

I'm genuinely surprised Ito Okashi and Boy/Girl are polling so strongly. What do people have against them? I'm especially surprised they're polling ahead of Viva Davidoff, which looks like it won't even make the top five.

Agreed, how did Another Day do? I think personally that that's a far worse song than Boy/Girl.

Another Day only got four votes in the early eighties round. Boy/Girl, on the other hand, was the second most unpopular early eighties track - only Red Light beat it, and by a single vote.

I think Another Day and Boy/Girl are fairly weak but enjoyable enough Boy era tracks. Most other songs from that era are better, but I still enjoy them more than probably two-thirds of U2's 2000s songs.

Another Day only got four votes in the early eighties round. Boy/Girl, on the other hand, was the second most unpopular early eighties track - only Red Light beat it, and by a single vote.

I think Another Day and Boy/Girl are fairly weak but enjoyable enough Boy era tracks. Most other songs from that era are better, but I still enjoy them more than probably two-thirds of U2's 2000s songs.

I'd definitely put Boy/Girl over Another Day but otherwise fair points Axver.

Back
Top Bottom