Worst "I Will Follow"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's a slow news day and I'm procrastinating on a rewrite. Where better to do that than Interference?

I'm musing about "I Will Follow", which has rarely been out of the setlist rotation since 1980. (Zoo TV Tour notwithstanding.) It's arguably the iconic U2 song -- their first single, one of a handful to have been played more than "Streets." But there have to have been variations on tempo, key, etc over the years. I'm curious what the worst-played version of this song is. (Slowest, least-enthusiastic, etc.) Anyone want to post your nominees?

Popmart version was the worst version, no exception. I usually commend the band for changing up their songs in concerts. But omitting the "Your eyes make a circle" bridge is unforgivable.

Also, what was up with Bono playing guitar in the Elevation version? He was adding nothing to the music, and was just playing the same part the Edge was. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??

Popmart version was the worst version, no exception. I usually commend the band for changing up their songs in concerts. But omitting the "Your eyes make a circle" bridge is unforgivable.

:huh:

I freaking love that version. I grant you that omitting that part doesn't make it the version of choice, but man, Edge is incredible in that version!

I'm on the Popmart wagon. They often played it way too damned slow (especially after such a sucker-punch of Mofo), and there was absolutely no need to shorten it.

Were there actually variations in key? When I heard some 2005 versions of it, it sounded exactly like it did in 1981... The bridge is the highlight of the song, for me, so I don't think I would enjoys versions lacking that. On Joshua Tree shows, I love how Bono would drag out the drama of the end of the bridge: "Your eyes... y-y-y-your eyes..."... You can sense Edge's uncertainty at times about when Bono is gonna bring it back. That's the kind of dramatic intensity I miss in current U2 shows -- the feeling that it could all fall apart at any time.

I absolutely love the Popmart version with that wahwah "technolgical feel" guitar... but only when played a bit faster, like in the last leg of the tour.
When U2 played "I Will Follow" too slow (like in some US/Europe shows) it would be very weak. It's funny how the speed that a song is played can make so much difference.

I actually am kinda fond of the Popmart version myself. I usually have at least the Leeds or Mexico City version on my ipod at all times. Not sure if it's my favorite version or not, but they changed it up a bit for that and I dig it for what it's worth.

The JT/Lovetown version wasn't so great, but I'd say the Elevation Tour version was weaker. Though it did have the laughs of Bono "playing" guitar in a song with absolutely no need for a second guitarist.

I love the Popmart version. Mofo --> IWF dominated.

Were there actually variations in key? When I heard some 2005 versions of it, it sounded exactly like it did in 1981...

There's definitely a variation in key. Sounds like they played it in the same key all the way up through the PopMart tour, then changed it up for Elevation/Vertigo. Strangely, they played it higher on those two tours.

And yes, the JT/LT tour really slowed it down. Yikes. Even slowing a song down by 20-30 seconds really makes a difference.

Also, what was up with Bono playing guitar in the Elevation version? He was adding nothing to the music, and was just playing the same part the Edge was. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??

he wasn't playing an identical part to the edge. not sure if you've heard any IEMs from Elevation, but he wasn't doing much of anything...definitely wouldn't say he was playing the same part though.

he wasn't doing much of anything...definitely wouldn't say he was playing the same part though.

Still love the moment in Rattle and Hum when, in the middle of "Exit," Bono turns back to his monitor, as if to say, "Hmmm, I'm playing, but why can't I hear anything?" when, in all likelihood, O'Herlihy had wisely turned his guitar down to zero...

POPMart
the one good thing was it fitted thematically with Mofo
otherwise it was not so good

JT and LT were slower?

Really?

I've never heard it. JT especially sounded good to me- Streets right into IWF always packed a punch.

Will have to listen again.

That being said, I always thought Lovetown and Elevation were the weakest.

Popmart was good for what it was, though different. MOFO>IWF was indeed great.

I still don't think this song has really had any truly awful performances. I have never liked the few B stage performances from Zoo TV but those were wisely scrapped.

There's definitely a variation in key. Sounds like they played it in the same key all the way up through the PopMart tour, then changed it up for Elevation/Vertigo. Strangely, they played it higher on those two tours.

That's not unheard of... see: UTEOTW and Streets.

Love the PopMart version! Get a copy of some of the good quality bootlegs from that tour (Leeds, Sarajevo, Santiago) and I Will Follow is insane. It puts the slow and measured JT versions into the dust.

I still don't think this song has really had any truly awful performances. I have never liked the few B stage performances from Zoo TV but those were wisely scrapped.

I agree. Those few Zoo performances were slower than JT and Lovetown, and it just seemed awkward to have them in that particular set.

Back
Top Bottom