Worst and Best Album Survivor: Results and Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
The outcome of the final round of Best Album Survivor was pretty clear-cut:

The Joshua Tree: 65
Achtung Baby: 36

Therefore, Achtung Baby is the winner of Best Album Survivor, just like it won Worst Album Survivor. The final rankings make for an interesting comparison.

WORST ALBUM SURVIVOR
(Voting criteria: Voting off favourite albums until one, the least favourite, is left.)
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. War
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
10. Rattle And Hum
11. October

BEST ALBUM SURVIVOR
(Voting criteria: Voting off least favourite albums until one, the favourite, is left.)
11. October
10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
=8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
=8. Rattle And Hum
7. War
6. Boy
5. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Pop
2. The Joshua Tree
1. Achtung Baby

Make of that what you will.

I was going to start a new Survivor, a return to Best Song Survivor, which will be quite a lengthy tournament. However, since the forum has come back online only just as I am about to leave for the night, I shall put that on hold until tomorrow. I figured I should at least get this results thread up for you guys in the interim.

Well I was just thinking about it. The best song survivor. How would you do it? Separate the songs by albuns?

As for the results, no surprise AB won both. It was nice to see that the 2000's albums are amongst the worst here :hmm:

Maybe NLOTH will break this?

Whatever happened to Live Survivor, Ax?

I think live videography could be fun, but the results are probably pretty predictable (Sydney on top followed by Mexico, then Slane...Boston and Chicago at/near the bottom). But it would give us (me) something to be pissy about ;)

Except for the top 2... I don't really like how it turned out.
But I know my opinion is not shared by everyone in Interference. :wink:

Looking foward for the Best Song Survivor. That would be awesome. :up:

3 of my top 5 ended up in Interference's top 5, so that's good. I'm impressed by how well Zooropa and Pop did.

Overall I would say it was roughly what I expected, with the exception of Boy. How this scraped its way to middle of the road territory is beyond me, I think it is a U2 classic!

And I had no idea ATYCLB was so unloved among U2 fans - Kite, Walk On, When I Look at The World, Beautiful Day - I could list almost all of them, are really great pop tracks IMO.

Proud of Achtung also! :applaud:

3 of my top 5 ended up in Interference's top 5, so that's good. I'm impressed by how well Zooropa and Pop did.

Now that I'm looking again.... 4 of my top 5 ended up in Survivor's top 5.... :D

Live song survivor is much too complicated, since U2 changes up each song's live versions so frequently.

Also, 90s U2 being in the top five? No, thanks.

Whatever happened to Live Survivor, Ax?

I'd love to do it, but like PFan says, it's just far too complicated. Plus there is the huge problem that most people are not familiar with live U2 outside of the officially released videography (and even then, a surprising amount of people don't have all of it), and although we could upload comprehensive packages showcasing all songs, past experience tells us that even when we do upload tracks, almost nobody actually bothers downloading them.

I'd love to do it, but like PFan says, it's just far too complicated. Plus there is the huge problem that most people are not familiar with live U2 outside of the officially released videography (and even then, a surprising amount of people don't have all of it), and although we could upload comprehensive packages showcasing all songs, past experience tells us that even when we do upload tracks, almost nobody actually bothers downloading them.

Ah, well in that case I'll just pick the winner and we'll move on to Song Survivor :D

Well I was just thinking about it. The best song survivor. How would you do it? Separate the songs by albuns?

As for the results, no surprise AB won both. It was nice to see that the 2000's albums are amongst the worst here :hmm:

Maybe NLOTH will break this?

Horizon will be number one for a month, and in the top five for a year. Only after that will it show its true colours.

TUF is ranked way to low in both lists. But that was expected.

I wonder where Passengers would rank. Any thoughts?

I wonder where Passengers would rank. Any thoughts?

Judging by past survivors and this forum's general attitudes, dead last. I am tempted to hold an October vs Passengers round, but I fear it would end in "ive nevar herd passangerz so im votin rawktober!!!!1" or "i luv miss sarah yebo lol sucktober sux".

In any case, I'm looking at starting Best Song Survivor in the next hour or two. I just need to decide whether I want to run multiple rounds simultaneously or not. Under normal circumstances, I'd prefer to do them simultaneously, to get through the tournament quicker. However, I'd like to give NLOTH time to sink in before we vote on it. If I run rounds consecutively, we won't hit NLOTH's rounds until over two months past its release. Under my plan for simultaneous rounds, we'll hit NLOTH rounds at most 18 days after its US release.

Thoughts, folks?

simultaneous run of several rounds, but don't start survivor for a few weeks to give NLOTH more time. 18 days isn't nearly enough.

Thoughts, folks?

I say do consecutive rounds. That way we give NLOTH a little longer to sink in, but we get something now so that there's something better than the two dozen GOYB threads.

I'd like to start Best Song Survivor now. I'm enthusiastic about running it at the moment, and as anybody who's run a lengthy Survivor tournament or has been on EYKIW for a while knows, you do tire of it. I'd like to get this thing going while I'm still excited about it, rather than thinking "ugh Survivor" and putting it off or trying to rope some other poor bastard into running it.

I mean, assuming no ties, Best Song Survivor is going to have 145 rounds. And that's with me making a conscientious effort to design the draw so that it's quicker than past tournaments!

Back
Top Bottom