Womanfish Vs. Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the best that never was?

• Total voters
I've never heard Womanfish, so I probably don't have a right to vote. But I'm going to vote for it anyway.

What a strange choice of competing songs for a poll. I don't buy into the messianic hype surrounding Mercy at all, though I do admire it as an excellent song. Womanfish is a horrific musical cul-de-sac though, and hopefully even Mercy-haters would agree.

Womanfish is the best thing U2 have ever done. Fuck that One Tree Hill rubbish!

INTHISTOWNTASTICISM FOREVER.

I genuinely love Womanfish, and I think if U2 had properly worked on it, it could've been something amazing.

To the haters I say t(-_-t) and also:

angryinthistowntasticbono.jpg

Womanfish: performed whilst everyone but Adam was drunk (a most peculiar turn of events!) and still managed to be played on TV.

Mercy: unreleased, overhyped and clearly unfinished - whilst everyone was sober!

It is clear that Womanfish is superior.

Womanfish for me too. Strangley, I been thinking about this song a lot recently. Mercy is as bad as the ATYCLB singles b-sides IMHO!

"Mercy" has a lot of promise, but it's ultimately clunky, overlong and what it aims to accomplish has been better realized in other U2 tracks (hell, from the pool of dropped tracks in the current decade, I like "Smile" and "Levitate" far more). "Womanfish", on the other hand, is an amazing blast of hyper-kinetic drunken revelry...I was disgusted that it wasn't included on the Deluxe Edition of THE JOSHUA TREE; I'd kill for an official release of that track!

Womanfish is great. Sure, it's messy and incoherent, but it also sounds spontaneous, energetic and exciting. Mercy sounds dull and uninspired by comparison.

I really love Mercy.

Mercy has lots of promise, but isn't executed as well as it could have been. Womanfish had no promise whatsoever, but the execution was beyond amazing for what the song was, even though it was accidental.

I vote for Mercy.

What's really interesting about the TV Gaga performance though is to see a rare live recording where Bono sounds like tuf bono but looks like TJT Bono.

Back
Top Bottom