wished U2 was a little bit like The Boss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Bruce will never let an overated pop singer cover one of his songs and insist on doing a duet in a song which is supposed to be a sang by a solo singer. And he wouldn't try to turn himself into a pop singer either.

Not to be rude or anything, but have you ever said something positive about U2 on this forum? :hmm:

Sorry, couldn't help myself (apologies if this offends anyone) :reject:

as a huge fan of both, i think we underestimate how much of a democracy U2 is compared to Bruce. he pretty much writes the songs and tells the E Street Band what to play -- yes, it's collaborative, but it's not a democracy at all. just like any Hollywood movie with a heavyweight director is collaborative, but it is not a democracy. it's Bruce's band, period.

i think his music is, and always has been, also less innovative and interesting than U2 (his lyrics, however, are a step above even Bono at his best), and despite the quality of much of The Rising and Magic, it's not too different than what he was producing in 1984. now, this isn't a bad thing at all. it's just a different thing than U2 tries to do, which is start from scratch each and every time.

and at this point in their careers, Bruce knows who he is and how he will be remembered and so there's a kind of "fuck it" quality to what he's doing now -- he's been liberated by the success of The Rising and Magic, he's now a certified national treasure, and no one talks about the 1990s. U2 isn't where he is (not that they've had similar career trajectories), and i do think they can get paralyzed by self-analysis and self-absorption.

and i think at the end of the day what U2 is trying to pull off is harder to do. Springsteen writes music and puts to song powerful stories and ideas about real people and real life. it's a pretty traditional thing, and no one really does it better. U2 uses music to try to get at something different, something more akin to collective transcendence and ecstasy -- it's the difference between telling a story and casting a spell. i think this is reflected in their concerts as well. they're the two best concerts i've ever seen. no one i've seen approaches U2 or Bruce at their best. Bruce is the most energetic, emotional, barnstorming performer i know. U2 has a slippery, almost mysterious 4th dimension when they connect. it's the difference between "Born to Run" and "Streets." arguably, but probably, their best respective live songs. but in the lyrics, in what each song wants to accomplish, you'll find the difference.

one is not better than the other. but i think one is more like capturing lightning in a bottle. and that takes much longer.

and if you don't own the live album from the Seeger Sessions, you really should go get it.

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Not to be rude or anything, but have you ever said something positive about U2 on this forum? :hmm:

Sorry, couldn't help myself (apologies if this offends anyone) :reject:

There are some people on this forum who fear all their teeth or hair will fall out and they will age rapidly if they ever said something positive about U2.

:wink:

I think I may be a bit too cautious. :reject:

Note to self: Do not be cautious. :hmm:

That is better. :wink:

It's because of that damn autotune they're always using. U23 was the only album they released without cheating.

Yes BonoVoxSupastar was right, that wasn't his fault, he didn't have a say in the production. Live8 wasn't his fault either, Macca, Madonna, Geldof and Pete Doherty all went off key. It must have been the soundperson's fault. I think sometimes we overestimate his powers just because he was such a big musician.

If they didn't cheat in that why would they cheat in everything else? Does anyone remember that book At The End Of The World where they were recording Zooropa? When Bono couldn't quite reach the high notes Brian suggested a new sound effect he discovered and Bono asked him whether it had anything to do with a vocodor. Brian had to reasure him that it didn't. If he went so long without the use of autotune and he was so dead against the old vocodor, why would he suddenly use it as a crutch?

Bono, just like the Boss, Macca, Morissey and many other rock singers, is a real singer. It's only pop singers who use it. That includes all the EMO bands, like Avril Lavinge they're not real rock singers. I was talking to that wonderful guy in the CD shop after I spoken to you lot on Saturday and telling him about this argument we've been having. He said that you wouldn't expect rock singers to use autotune because their music is supposed to be real. Bono, Liam Gallagher, Michael Stipe and he said Chris Martin have unusual voices that are supposed to be less polished then the pop singers. There voices are meant to be more about emotion. Plus he agreed with me about what I say about primadonna's who don't know what real work is. The words he used was "send them all down the mines, that's real work. Singing isn't"

And the guy who runs this drop in centre that I'm using also said Bono is a great singer, and he likes out of tune vocals. It adds to the character. He said it's mainly the cheesy pop singers who use it. Why are people are shit scared of imperfections? The vocals aren't perfect? Well life isn't perfect so deal with it.

Is Bono singing out of tune so much or what?

:huh:

I have heard a lot of singers singing out of tune, especially live, my ears hurt, but Bono, not really.

Ok, maybe sometimes. :reject:

He has an extraordinary voice, not boring or polished. So does Bruce, even though I'd say Bruce is more restricted to rock as a singer, wheras Bono can sing almost everything, that's one of his great strengths as a singer.

And the discussion about "real" or "not real" singers is ridiculous. There are many "pop singers" I cannot stand and some of them I really like, but to everyone their own. If people go out and buy their stuff and care to see them perform live, it's fine for me.

I think it's mainly a certain age group anyway. Most people my age are really into music with real musicians and not pop show acts.

darn, i like the boss... his voice still seems to be on top, whereas bonos voice has suffered...

I don't see how his voice has suffered I thought it's better than it's ever been.

Is Bono singing out of tune so much or what?

No, but according to this very agressive man who after Live8 Bono never sings in tune live, he says Rory Gallagher is a better singer. This woman said on google said that Steve Howe never goes sharp or flat on a note and that we should compare that to Bono. However I watched him on Youtube only to discover that he was a singer from a prog band I've barely even heard of called Yes. People were criticizing his out of tune vocals. Plus on You Tube this thicko keeps posting shitty messages on many video's on U2. On the Vertigo music video last year she put "Bono goes off key a lot but no one gives a shit". Then in May on the One video where it showed a packet of Vocal Aid, or whatever it was, she said that we've "gotta love that vocal aid". I never realized it was supposed to be pertaining to throat lozengers until Coriandertem told me. Haha

Perhaps you should go over there and defend him.

wow, this is by far one of the most bizarre things I have read on here in a while...

an aggressive guy after Live8, some woman on Google and a "thicko" on Youtube - that's a real expert panel of voice experts you have assembled there :up:

Perhaps you should go over there and defend him.

Ummm no. Why should I go on You Tube to defend Bono or U2? You Tube is full of haters, the internet sometimes brings out the worst in people. I'd be crazy to go there and say something in his defense, because honestly: I don't care!

wow, this is by far one of the most bizarre things I have read on here in a while...

an aggressive guy after Live8, some woman on Google and a "thicko" on Youtube - that's a real expert panel of voice experts you have assembled there :up:

Totally agree with that post.

Back
Top Bottom