Will Vertigo or Elevation be remembered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lets say 10 years from now when the best of the best is recalled, will Vertigo and Elevation be remembered as much as a quintissential U2 song?

A part of me wonders if you asked this question because these songs are from U2's last two albums. "Even Better Than..." is also a fluff song, so why not include that song in the mix? Is it because it's from the now saintly AB?

To me, a song's performance in concert and, more importantly, the crowd reaction to the song say a lot.

"Bad" and "Until the End of the World" were never released as singles. Yet audiences love them. Their power in a live setting made these songs "hits".

"Elevation" and "Vertigo" were released as singles, so that helps. But more importantly, audience response to both is very strong. Who doesn't bounce to the Spanish parts in "Vertigo" or the "ooh-ooh" in "Elevation"? They are fun songs that really rush the crowd.

So while they may not be known as songs that "define" U2 or exemplify how great of writers they are, they are songs that demonstrate U2's talents in a live setting and therefore, they will be remembered.

Elevation will. It's just a great song.

Vertigo...hmm. I'm not so sure about that one. It's one of U2's weaker tracks, although not bad. It probably won't be remembered as much more than a footnote in U2's musical history.

Vertigo - Absolutely - It will be on every U2 greatest hits CD from now on - guaranteed.

Wow the hate for these two songs is surprising. *remembers he's on Interference* Oh wait, nevermind.

I think they will both be remembered by casual and hardcore (lol) fans because they're fun and catchy and usually songs with those two characteristics are pretty memorable.

Beautiful Day is the only long-lasting song from either of the last two albums.

Vertigo could, and should be remembered I think. Important song in the U2 canon. They were trying to write an explosive guitar-driven rock song and they achieved that with an absolute ripper of a tune. Stunning last chorus, soars like all good U2 songs tend to soar. For cohesion's sake, it's a shame the rest of the album didn't try and continue the kind of idea behind Vertigo.

Elevation maybe not so memorable. Great live tune though.

I think that Vertigo will be more memorable in 10 years only because of the fact that we were bombarded with the song when it was released (iPod commercial) and radio airplay. However, I think that in 10 years we will go to a concert and be reminded that these songs are great (imo) when performed live. Perhaps even return to ATYCLB an HTDAAB and show some love for the songs.

At the Australian international and domestic Twenty20 cricket games, the grounds play song snippets during change of overs and between balls.

During the past few rugby league seasons a few of the grounds played Elevation over the PA and it's also been featured in TV broadcasts. The "wooo-hooo" part is frequently played when tries are scored.

So Australian sports are definitely doing their part to keep Elevation relevant. And both these sports have big national and international TV audiences.

Good point. Here in the States, Elevation is also played at many sports venues during ballgames to get the crowd amped up. Many songs have had their profile increased because of this. So I would say Elevation will certainly be mass recognized, if not remembered for many years to come.

As for Vertigo, I'd say for better or worse it practically defines the ITunes era. It's still played often on modern rock radio which definitely helps in remembrance department.

Both songs will be rememberd and it willbe positive for most fans as they will have been in the background for so long and when we go back to these songs in 10 years time we'll say... wow that was actaully pretty cool! WHY?? BECAUSE THEY WERE BOTH OVERPLAYED!! AND THIS 'NEW' U2 SOUND FELT SO GOOD AT THE TIME WE LISTENED TO IT 10 TIMES A DAY AND THE SAME WILL HAPPEN TO GOYB SADLY.

If both songs had more refined lyrics you guys would be singing thier praises still!

Yes they will be remembered....much more then Discotheque no doubt about that. Even though I enjoy Discotheque more as a track. I would argue that more tracks from the last 2 albums will be remembered more then anything on both Zooropa and POP even though I think those were 2 very great albums.

Vertigo could, and should be remembered I think. Important song in the U2 canon. They were trying to write an explosive guitar-driven rock song and they achieved that with an absolute ripper of a tune. Stunning last chorus, soars like all good U2 songs tend to soar. For cohesion's sake, it's a shame the rest of the album didn't try and continue the kind of idea behind Vertigo.

Elevation maybe not so memorable. Great live tune though.

:yes:

Vertigo - Absolutely - It will be on every U2 greatest hits CD from now on - guaranteed.

Ah...yes it will...coz like it or not....it is one of their "Greatest Hits"
But....would it appear in Best Of's compilations? Completely different beast!

Great songs, but only time can tell you if they will survive, but this are songs that any rock band in the world will love have in the track list.

Funny, I always thought that Vertigo was just a little too much in the vein of Elevation (although certainly not soundalikes). I'd give Elevation the edge, but not by much. Vertigo is one of the better cuts off the disappointing Bomb album but neither of these two songs deserve to be considered among the quintessential U2 songs.

Elevation is exciting, innovative, and has a great riff, great lyrics, great singing, and all around great musicianship.

Vertigo has embarassing lyrics, fails to impress, and is honestly the worst track off of HTDAAB (IMO, of course.)

Elevation wins, hands down.

Both will be remembered. Vertigo because of how big a radio hit it was and I-Tunes; Elevation because it brought U2 back into sports stadiums, into clubs, back into making catchy songs that had mass appeal, etc. U2 was the biggest band in the world again. I too think Zooropa and Pop songs were better than these two, but alot of people, some fans included, just did not find this phase of U2's career accessible or understandable.

Vertigo is a bigger hit and will be remembered more. Elevation was not really that great until you got to the tomb raider mix or live versions. On their respective albums, Vertigo is superior to Elevation(I dont like the version of elevation on ATYCLB). Live and tomb raider considered, they are exactly equal I think.

Elevation is exciting, innovative, and has a great riff, great lyrics, great singing, and all around great musicianship.

Vertigo has embarassing lyrics, fails to impress, and is honestly the worst track off of HTDAAB (IMO, of course.)

Elevation wins, hands down.

Elevation has great lyrics? :|

i never, ever listen to elevation on my own accord, but when i sit and watch a dvd of either chicago or boston, i can't help but feel really...really uncomfortable when that song comes on. it's just completely ridiculous in every sense of the meaning. it's an awful song, full stop.

vertigo is slightly better, particularly live, but again, lyrically and sonically it offers nothing to me. u2 have plenty of "energy" songs, they need not resort to such dreadful songs that should be considered nothing less than mistakes.

i get shivers thinking about how bad elevation really is.

Back
Top Bottom