Will Vertigo or Elevation be remembered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its almost 10 years since elevation was released and its one of only a couple of u2 songs still played on Radio 1 occasionally so i think that answers that!

Elevation is gonna be one of those songs which many U2 fans are not keen on but its a great rocking song for the general public to listen to on the radio.

Vertigo, Elevation, Get Your Boots on will not be remembered. Can you imagine a band in 10-15 years covering those songs? Absolutely not. If you think so you need to take off that fanboi hat. These tracks are all about this bi$, not about the tunes. Some recent tracks that might be around in 10 years are Kite, Original of the Species and Wild Honey.

If for nothing else, Vertigo would probably be remembered as the song that's been beaten into everyone's heads by now.

Vertigo x2! :rockon:

No band in 10-15 years will be talking about their inspiration and start rattling on about Vertigo or Elevation. In that sense, no. Of course not. But, it’s undeniable that Vertigo was a huge song for the band. Play it in 10-15 years to random people on the street, and more people will recognize it than virtually any other U2 song in 15 years. That’s really sad, but it’s the truth. Elevation… no. Wasn’t a big song, nor a good one. Won’t be drooled over by fans, or recognized by the public.

No matter what is said what has to be appreciated about Vertigo in particular is the impact that it had worldwide. It was number 1 in over 30 countries and was one of the bands greatest selling singles ever. So whether you like it or not, like Beautiful Day, Vertigo has earned its place as an important phase of U2's career.

I want to try not to remember Vertigo for as long as I live! It was great when it came out, but it got overplayed everywhere, including Gigs WHY open & close with it? :doh:

lets say 10 years from now when the best of the best is recalled, will Vertigo and Elevation be remembered as much as a quintissential U2 song?

vertigo maybe, not that it is a personal favourite but maybe. Elevation, no chance in hell haha

Lights go down its dark

problably one of the silliest lyrics ever written by mr platformshoe

I did like the Native Son lyrical spin better. And where is the Pop lyrical Appreciation Thread? Or am I too late on that one.

ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour made U2 relevant again.
People will remember that 10 YRs from now over the Vertigo Tour.

Elevation Tour was in the middle of 911.
U2's half time performance embeded 911 victims will be etched in people's memories for decades to come.

Other than COBL in The Devil Wears Prada-there is no universal connection to non U2 fans as there was with The Elevation Tour, songs like Walk On and Beautiful Day and events like 911 and U2's Super Bowl appearance..

<>

I feel they will be remembered, but not as an emotion u2 song, unlike one or sometimes, but more as an energetic song, but i feel boots will be, as vertigo was similar to elevation, just a rock song, but with boots, you get both of them and also AB.

poster43846827.jpg

Don't get me wrong though, it's still much much better than Elevation.

We're in a consumers society, Elevation, Vertigo, Get On Your Boots, Beautiful Day, etc. will be remembered for as long as the band continue in the business, after that some people, but most of them fans, will remember those songs we consider classics for a few years.... and, I'm afraid that's all, it has nothing to do with quality, it has to do with industry, if you fill in the radio waves with old songs, how are you going to sell the new ones?

U2 will be always be remembered for their real classics: Pride, Streets, Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, One...Beautiful Day I guess?

While I'm not saying Vertigo and especially Elevation will be totally forgotten, I think U2 will always be first remembered by the songs mentioned above. The rest is "a great back catalogue."

Personally, I think both songs will be remembered.

Maybe Vertigo a little more than Elevation... but still.

I love both of them, so I don't think I'd ever forget them... unless I suffer from Alzeihmer's later on in life...

I think non hardcore U2 fans will remember U2 in sort of tiers

Tier 1
Pride
Streets
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day

Tier 2
Elevation
Vertigo
All I Want is You
New Years Day
Mysterious Ways
Desire
Walk On

Tier 3 (have to be a big fan to know these)
Fly
Bad
Angel of Harlem
Sweetest Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Stuck in a Moment
Original of the Species
City of Blinding Lights

Of course they'll both remembered. I wouldn't be surprised to see both become live staples. Elevation went over really well on the Vertigo tour. Discotheques a better song than Elevation IMO but there's no way it's as popular with non-U2 fans.

ALYCLB is going on 10 years old now, it's not like you can say it's recent. It's still well represented on the last FM charts for most played U2 tracks of the month

1 With or Without You 13,161
2 Beautiful Day 11,071
3 One 9,820
4 Sunday Bloody Sunday 9,389
5 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For 8,355
6 Vertigo 7,735
7 Where the Streets Have No Name 7,293
8 Pride (In the Name of Love) 6,562
9 New Year's Day 6,301
10 Elevation 4,895
11 Mysterious Ways 4,771
12 City of Blinding Lights 4,524
13 Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of 4,196
14 Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own 4,158
15 Sweetest Thing 4,101

Of course that isn't a science but it gives you a good idea of what people are listening to.

As for How to dismantle an atomic bomb I think Vertigo might be the only one that has "legs".

ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour made U2 relevant again.
People will remember that 10 YRs from now over the Vertigo Tour.

Elevation Tour was in the middle of 911.
U2's half time performance embeded 911 victims will be etched in people's memories for decades to come.

Other than COBL in The Devil Wears Prada-there is no universal connection to non U2 fans as there was with The Elevation Tour, songs like Walk On and Beautiful Day and events like 911 and U2's Super Bowl appearance..

<>

All of the above is true but only relevant to the US. Outside of the US, none of those things exist except within the hardcore U2 fanbase. Globally, there is obviously no ATYCLB/911 connection and the Super Bowl is a non-event. I would even go so far as to say that U2 weren't in the same position post-Pop outside the US, and thus didn't need any kind of 'return' as they did in the US with ATYCLB/Elevation Tour.

You are totally correct for within the US and the U2 hardcore base though. You are however forgetting the Vertigo iPod ad – which was everywhere and global. A gazillion times as large as COBL being in Devil Wears Prada, and globally, far, far larger than the Super Bowl performance or the 911 connection for ATYCLB.

Vertigo (the song) trumps Elevation (the song) in size and recognition by a significant, almost un-measurable margin. Having said that, I can’t stand either of them, and they were both pushed into prominence. They didn’t make their own way there on the back of their own excellence or anything.

Elevation was a fantastic show opener. It was the very first song I saw U2 playing live and still have good memories of that one...

Elevation is still very much alive as it is played at parties a lot. So, the song won't be forgotten that quickly...

Back
Top Bottom