INTERFERENCE
U2 Fans, 'Zine, and More

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Roermond, Netherlands
Posts: 1,650
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Will U2 Tour in arenas in 2014?

As it becomes more and more clear that U2 will bring out a new album in the fall of 2013, it makes sense that they will go on tour in 2014!

How long on forehand do bands normally start planning a tour? I once heard that that is normally at least one year before. Does that mean contacts with venues are already being made? Anyone has any idea?

Then, from several sources around the band, it became clear that when U2 360 was finishing that the new tour will be completely different again. Many talks about going back to arenas!! That would be so great! I would love to see them in a 'small setting' Although I am really afraid that that Arena-thing will only apply for the US. Look at the Vertigo tour, Europe got stadiums...In my country, even the Elevation tour concerts (3x) were in a stadium!!

The last time U2 played a Dutch arena, was in 1992 !!

What do you all think? Likely to be a tour in 2014..in arenas? Also in Europe?


__________________

__________________
phommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
Premium Silver Member
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 13,111
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Chances of arenas in Europe are miniscule. Changes of arenas in the United States and Canada are, I would guess, 60-40. But that's a guess.


__________________

__________________
-Will
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Galeonbroad
Premium Gold Member
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 68,416
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Well to be fair, the Gelredome is an Arena when comparing size... only 40k people for concerts.

I hope they don't go back, but I think there's been quite a bit of discussion on this lately.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
Premium Silver Member
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 13,111
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well to be fair, the Gelredome is an Arena when comparing size... only 40k people for concerts.
Most American arenas hold something like 15,000 to 20,000 people. Is it different in Europe?


__________________
-Will
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Nick66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dia Gaoithe Bono, a fháil go maith go luath!
Posts: 4,964
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Chances of arenas in Europe are miniscule. Changes of arenas in the United States and Canada are, I would guess, 60-40. But that's a guess.
This seems about right to me.


__________________
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,351
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Definitely arenas this time.


__________________
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 8,627
Local Time: 03:21 AM
I would put the chances of a US arena leg, at least for leg 1, closer to 75-80%.


__________________
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Nick66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dia Gaoithe Bono, a fháil go maith go luath!
Posts: 4,964
Local Time: 03:21 AM
I certainly hope it's an arena tour. Why anyone here would want an stadium tour when they could see U2 in an an arena is a mystery.


__________________
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
The Fly
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 47
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
I certainly hope it's an arena tour. Why anyone here would want an stadium tour when they could see U2 in an an arena is a mystery.
I think it's because it would be harder to get tickets of they played arenas.
It all depends on the production. If they're going for somethin as massive as the claw then they have no other choice than doing only stadiums.


__________________
Jazzthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Nick66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dia Gaoithe Bono, a fháil go maith go luath!
Posts: 4,964
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzthief View Post
I think it's because it would be harder to get tickets of they played arenas.
It all depends on the production. If they're going for somethin as massive as the claw then they have no other choice than doing only stadiums.
Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets. It's the people who want to buy tickets at the last minute (as they were able to do for 360) that will have problems. After all, it wasn't that long ago that U2 did two very successful arena tours in the US. Obviously Europe and South America (where Pop is HUGE) are a different story.

I understand it won't be as easy to get tickets, but for those who really want them, they will be there (and will make a better audience). And the inconvenience is more than worth it, something readily apparent to anyone who has seen U2 in an arena.

Of course, U2 has their own priorities, but from a fans POV, I don't see why anyone would prefer to see a stadium show.


__________________
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Galeonbroad
Premium Gold Member
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 68,416
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Most American arenas hold something like 15,000 to 20,000 people. Is it different in Europe?
Well here stadiums are 50-60k ish, dunno what stadium sizes here are, I guess you could count the Ahoy in Rotterdam as one, max 30K I think.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 31,873
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Well to be fair, the Gelredome is an Arena when comparing size... only 40k people for concerts.
No, I don't consider the Gelredome an arena. As stated in this thread, an arena has a capacity of 15 - 20K (sometimes even smaller, like Ahoy in Rotterdam which holds only 10K or so). With a capacity of 33K the Gelredome is a small stadium.


__________________
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 8,627
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets. It's the people who want to buy tickets at the last minute (as they were able to do for 360) that will have problems. After all, it wasn't that long ago that U2 did two very successful arena tours in the US. Obviously Europe and South America (where Pop is HUGE) are a different story.

I understand it won't be as easy to get tickets, but for those who really want them, they will be there (and will make a better audience). And the inconvenience is more than worth it, something readily apparent to anyone who has seen U2 in an arena.

Of course, U2 has their own priorities, but from a fans POV, I don't see why anyone would prefer to see a stadium show.
I prefer a stadium show for a couple of reasons.

First, it means fewer shows, which in turn helps preserve Bono's voice. He's not getting any younger. Though he can certainly hold his own when he's at the fourth or fifth show of a large city, his voice does deteriorate at a higher rate when they're doing arenas.

That's the driving force for me at least.

Other than that, I do enjoy seeing whatever spectacle they can come up with. I saw ten 360° shows, and for three of them, I was in the upper tier, and not particularly close to the stage. Did I care? nope. It didn't detract from the experience whatsoever, and it was actually interesting to see the show from a more removed perspective. I don't really need Bono to make eye contact with people in my section or to be on top of the band in order to have it be a good experience.

That said, I did do GA twice, and was in the inner circle on two occasions, and those shows were quite excellent -- though it had more to do with the setlist and how the band were playing rather than my proximity to the stage.

The ticket argument doesn't really concern me, nor should it concern anyone who posts regularly here. When the tour comes, plenty of fans buy, sell and trade tickets at fair prices in the tour forum. For me, it's about keeping the overall quality of the show high, and stadiums serve to do that best in my opinion.

Arenas are fine too, and I hope I'm proven wrong with Bono's voice on the upcoming tour, since I'm pretty sure we'll see arenas for at least the first leg of the tour in the US.


__________________
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,626
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets.
nope, i thought i wouldn't have a problem getting tix for Vertigo at the Stade de France - i waited by my computer ready for the sale (general public sale, not fanclub), and the site got rammed instantly due to demand/traffic and i lost out on tickets - everywhere sold out instantly - ticket servers went down in many major outlets, and there were stories of fans who'd queued all night not being able to buy tickets as everything just went! (for that one Paris date)

then they added an extra date later on, and i managed to get a ticket that time as there was less demand, but i couldn't go to the gig in the end lol!!

i got wise after that and signed up to u2.com for 360 and had no trouble getting tix...

i'm not signed up any more though and am not planning on going thru the whole palaver again lol will just be happy to hear some new songs, have seen them enough lol!


__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Nick66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dia Gaoithe Bono, a fháil go maith go luath!
Posts: 4,964
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
I prefer a stadium show for a couple of reasons.

First, it means fewer shows, which in turn helps preserve Bono's voice. He's not getting any younger. Though he can certainly hold his own when he's at the fourth or fifth show of a large city, his voice does deteriorate at a higher rate when they're doing arenas.

That's the driving force for me at least.

Other than that, I do enjoy seeing whatever spectacle they can come up with. I saw ten 360° shows, and for three of them, I was in the upper tier, and not particularly close to the stage. Did I care? nope. It didn't detract from the experience whatsoever, and it was actually interesting to see the show from a more removed perspective. I don't really need Bono to make eye contact with people in my section or to be on top of the band in order to have it be a good experience.

That said, I did do GA twice, and was in the inner circle on two occasions, and those shows were quite excellent -- though it had more to do with the setlist and how the band were playing rather than my proximity to the stage.

The ticket argument doesn't really concern me, nor should it concern anyone who posts regularly here. When the tour comes, plenty of fans buy, sell and trade tickets at fair prices in the tour forum. For me, it's about keeping the overall quality of the show high, and stadiums serve to do that best in my opinion.

Arenas are fine too, and I hope I'm proven wrong with Bono's voice on the upcoming tour, since I'm pretty sure we'll see arenas for at least the first leg of the tour in the US.
I don't care about the spectacle, though I acknowledge it's a necessity these days for a stadium tour...you have to give something for the majority of people who cant even make out the band something to look at. But I'd trade all that for the relative intimacy of an arena any day. Elevation was one of my favourite U2 tours, and that's about as stripped down as they get.

You make a good point about Bono's voice, and that's something for them to decide.


__________________

__________________
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Interference.com on Facebook


Download our Mobile App

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com

U2 News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date everything U2 right in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]