Will U2 Tour in arenas in 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
As it becomes more and more clear that U2 will bring out a new album in the fall of 2013, it makes sense that they will go on tour in 2014!

How long on forehand do bands normally start planning a tour? I once heard that that is normally at least one year before. Does that mean contacts with venues are already being made? Anyone has any idea?

Then, from several sources around the band, it became clear that when U2 360 was finishing that the new tour will be completely different again. Many talks about going back to arenas!! That would be so great! I would love to see them in a 'small setting' Although I am really afraid that that Arena-thing will only apply for the US. Look at the Vertigo tour, Europe got stadiums...In my country, even the Elevation tour concerts (3x) were in a stadium!!

The last time U2 played a Dutch arena, was in 1992 !!

What do you all think? Likely to be a tour in 2014..in arenas? Also in Europe?

Chances of arenas in Europe are miniscule. Changes of arenas in the United States and Canada are, I would guess, 60-40. But that's a guess.

Well to be fair, the Gelredome is an Arena when comparing size... only 40k people for concerts.

I hope they don't go back, but I think there's been quite a bit of discussion on this lately.

I certainly hope it's an arena tour. Why anyone here would want an stadium tour when they could see U2 in an an arena is a mystery.

I think it's because it would be harder to get tickets of they played arenas.
It all depends on the production. If they're going for somethin as massive as the claw then they have no other choice than doing only stadiums.

I think it's because it would be harder to get tickets of they played arenas.
It all depends on the production. If they're going for somethin as massive as the claw then they have no other choice than doing only stadiums.

Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets. It's the people who want to buy tickets at the last minute (as they were able to do for 360) that will have problems. After all, it wasn't that long ago that U2 did two very successful arena tours in the US. Obviously Europe and South America (where Pop is HUGE) are a different story.

I understand it won't be as easy to get tickets, but for those who really want them, they will be there (and will make a better audience). And the inconvenience is more than worth it, something readily apparent to anyone who has seen U2 in an arena.

Of course, U2 has their own priorities, but from a fans POV, I don't see why anyone would prefer to see a stadium show.

Well to be fair, the Gelredome is an Arena when comparing size... only 40k people for concerts.

No, I don't consider the Gelredome an arena. As stated in this thread, an arena has a capacity of 15 - 20K (sometimes even smaller, like Ahoy in Rotterdam which holds only 10K or so). With a capacity of 33K the Gelredome is a small stadium.

Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets. It's the people who want to buy tickets at the last minute (as they were able to do for 360) that will have problems. After all, it wasn't that long ago that U2 did two very successful arena tours in the US. Obviously Europe and South America (where Pop is HUGE) are a different story.

I understand it won't be as easy to get tickets, but for those who really want them, they will be there (and will make a better audience). And the inconvenience is more than worth it, something readily apparent to anyone who has seen U2 in an arena.

Of course, U2 has their own priorities, but from a fans POV, I don't see why anyone would prefer to see a stadium show.

I prefer a stadium show for a couple of reasons.

First, it means fewer shows, which in turn helps preserve Bono's voice. He's not getting any younger. Though he can certainly hold his own when he's at the fourth or fifth show of a large city, his voice does deteriorate at a higher rate when they're doing arenas.

That's the driving force for me at least.

Other than that, I do enjoy seeing whatever spectacle they can come up with. I saw ten 360° shows, and for three of them, I was in the upper tier, and not particularly close to the stage. Did I care? nope. It didn't detract from the experience whatsoever, and it was actually interesting to see the show from a more removed perspective. I don't really need Bono to make eye contact with people in my section or to be on top of the band in order to have it be a good experience.

That said, I did do GA twice, and was in the inner circle on two occasions, and those shows were quite excellent -- though it had more to do with the setlist and how the band were playing rather than my proximity to the stage.

The ticket argument doesn't really concern me, nor should it concern anyone who posts regularly here. When the tour comes, plenty of fans buy, sell and trade tickets at fair prices in the tour forum. For me, it's about keeping the overall quality of the show high, and stadiums serve to do that best in my opinion.

Arenas are fine too, and I hope I'm proven wrong with Bono's voice on the upcoming tour, since I'm pretty sure we'll see arenas for at least the first leg of the tour in the US.

Anyone who's on here and half way diligent will be able to get tickets.

nope, i thought i wouldn't have a problem getting tix for Vertigo at the Stade de France - i waited by my computer ready for the sale (general public sale, not fanclub), and the site got rammed instantly due to demand/traffic and i lost out on tickets - everywhere sold out instantly - ticket servers went down in many major outlets, and there were stories of fans who'd queued all night not being able to buy tickets as everything just went! (for that one Paris date)

then they added an extra date later on, and i managed to get a ticket that time as there was less demand, but i couldn't go to the gig in the end lol!!

i got wise after that and signed up to u2.com for 360 and had no trouble getting tix...

i'm not signed up any more though and am not planning on going thru the whole palaver again lol will just be happy to hear some new songs, have seen them enough lol!

I prefer a stadium show for a couple of reasons.

First, it means fewer shows, which in turn helps preserve Bono's voice. He's not getting any younger. Though he can certainly hold his own when he's at the fourth or fifth show of a large city, his voice does deteriorate at a higher rate when they're doing arenas.

That's the driving force for me at least.

Other than that, I do enjoy seeing whatever spectacle they can come up with. I saw ten 360° shows, and for three of them, I was in the upper tier, and not particularly close to the stage. Did I care? nope. It didn't detract from the experience whatsoever, and it was actually interesting to see the show from a more removed perspective. I don't really need Bono to make eye contact with people in my section or to be on top of the band in order to have it be a good experience.

That said, I did do GA twice, and was in the inner circle on two occasions, and those shows were quite excellent -- though it had more to do with the setlist and how the band were playing rather than my proximity to the stage.

The ticket argument doesn't really concern me, nor should it concern anyone who posts regularly here. When the tour comes, plenty of fans buy, sell and trade tickets at fair prices in the tour forum. For me, it's about keeping the overall quality of the show high, and stadiums serve to do that best in my opinion.

Arenas are fine too, and I hope I'm proven wrong with Bono's voice on the upcoming tour, since I'm pretty sure we'll see arenas for at least the first leg of the tour in the US.

I don't care about the spectacle, though I acknowledge it's a necessity these days for a stadium tour...you have to give something for the majority of people who cant even make out the band something to look at. But I'd trade all that for the relative intimacy of an arena any day. Elevation was one of my favourite U2 tours, and that's about as stripped down as they get.

You make a good point about Bono's voice, and that's something for them to decide.

nope, i thought i wouldn't have a problem getting tix for Vertigo at the Stade de France - i waited by my computer ready for the sale (general public sale, not fanclub), and the site got rammed instantly due to demand/traffic and i lost out on tickets - everywhere sold out instantly - ticket servers went down in many major outlets, and there were stories of fans who'd queued all night not being able to buy tickets as everything just went! (for that one Paris date)

then they added an extra date later on, and i managed to get a ticket that time as there was less demand, but i couldn't go to the gig in the end lol!!

i got wise after that and signed up to u2.com for 360 and had no trouble getting tix...

i'm not signed up any more though and am not planning on going thru the whole palaver again lol will just be happy to hear some new songs, have seen them enough lol!

As I said, anyone who is diligent on here will be able to get tickets...even if that means signing up to U2.com. No doubt, not everyone who wants tickets will be able to get them. So what? As I said previously, no one has a right to attend a U2 show.

As I said, anyone who is diligent on here will be able to get tickets...even if that means signing up to U2.com. No doubt, not everyone who wants tickets will be able to get them. So what? As I said previously, no one has a right to attend a U2 show.

i never said anyone did :|

btw you just said "diligent" which doesn't imply signing up to u2.com

my point was, if people REALLY want to see them, u2.com is the way to go

As I said previously, no one has a right to attend a U2 show.

No idea what that comment is contributing to this discussion other than hyperbole and ridiculousness.

Going back to the actual thread topic.

U2 are going to play arenas in N. America next tour, that is their plan currently. Book it.

Europe is a little more fuzzy. But it will most likely be stadiums as usual.

No idea what that comment is contributing to this discussion other than hyperbole and ridiculousness.

Then you don't understand. One of the arguments for U2 doing a stadium tour is that more people will be able to get tickets. I'm saying that's irrelevant (for me), and that after all no one has a right to U2 tickets.

Do you understand now, or are you still confused? I can try to type it slower next time.

btw you just said "diligent" which doesn't imply signing up to u2.com

To me diligent means doing what you need to to get tickets. That includes signing up on U2.com (which is pretty easy actually).

For me personally, I hope they do an arena tour. I just prefer the intimacy of the 'smaller' venues. I actually chose not to see the 360 tour in Pittsburgh in 2011 because it was a stadium gig. So stupid me should have gone to it because of the staging they had with those bridges. The seats actually would have been quite good. Anyway, indoors in my preference.

I would think that tentative contacts are made with the venues to see the availabilities. If you really think about it, it takes a lot to move a tour around. It's not just the band and all of the personnel but the venues, hotels, travel, to and from cities, to and from gigs, vendors, advertising, promotion, etc. Whew! Lots of coordination! Take a look at the back of any tour program! I would think a year in advance sounds right to me.

Then you don't understand. One of the arguments for U2 doing a stadium tour is that more people will be able to get tickets. I'm saying that's irrelevant (for me), and that after all no one has a right to U2 tickets.

Do you understand now, or are you still confused? I can try to type it slower next time.

To me diligent means doing what you need to to get tickets. That includes signing up on U2.com (which is pretty easy actually).

No I understand, I understand that the comment added nothing to this discussion. I guess you do not understand that. :wave:

I would put the chances of a US arena leg, at least for leg 1, closer to 75-80%.

If U2 were a few years younger but otherwise under the same circumstances (ie, finished a massively commercially successful worldwide stadium tour not very long ago), I'd agree with you. However, the band is aging, and stadium tours are probably a lot less harsh on Bono and Larry. Bono's voice struggles by the end of a 20-show stadium leg; after a 50-show arena leg, I don't know what would happen. Maybe it'll just be a tour that doesn't absorb all of the demand and they'll just be okay with that. Or maybe they'll absorb demand by charging insane prices, though that seems unlikely to me. But Vertigo leg three clearly took it out of at least Bono, and I can definitely see that weighing on their minds.

No I understand, I understand that the comment added nothing to this discussion. I guess you do not understand that. :wave:

Yeah, and this completely speculative comment, including telling people to book a tour that hasn't been scheduled in support of an album that hasn't even been announced really adds to the discussion:

U2 are going to play arenas in N. America next tour, that is their plan currently. Book it.
Europe is a little more fuzzy. But it will most likely be stadiums as usual.

Sorry to hear the about clairvoyant abilities don't quite extend to Europe. :wave:

Yeah, and this completely speculative comment, including telling people to book a tour that hasn't been scheduled in support of an album that hasn't even been announced really adds to the discussion:

Sorry to hear the about clairvoyant abilities don't quite extend to Europe. :wave:

:lol: I'm surprised you don't claim to have "abilities", some your posts are just.......well, I think you know. :wave:

I do not care if you do not believe me. Arenas in N. America are the plan currently for the next tour. You do not have the right to attend!!!! :lol: :wave:

If U2 were a few years younger but otherwise under the same circumstances (ie, finished a massively commercially successful worldwide stadium tour not very long ago), I'd agree with you. However, the band is aging, and stadium tours are probably a lot less harsh on Bono and Larry. Bono's voice struggles by the end of a 20-show stadium leg; after a 50-show arena leg, I don't know what would happen. Maybe it'll just be a tour that doesn't absorb all of the demand and they'll just be okay with that. Or maybe they'll absorb demand by charging insane prices, though that seems unlikely to me. But Vertigo leg three clearly took it out of at least Bono, and I can definitely see that weighing on their minds.

Which is why I thought your 60-40 guess was about right. But who knows.

I know I hope it's an arena tour, and think it should be.

I do not care if you do not believe me. Arenas in N. America are the plan currently for the next tour. You do not have the right to attend!!!! :lol: :wave:

I hope you're correct, I very much want an arena tour. And don't worry, I'll be getting tickets. ;)

:lol: I'm surprised you don't claim to have "abilities", some your posts are just.......well, I think you know. :wave:

Right? Yes, I know.

there's no need to be so rude or condescending.

onto the topic itself, i prefer stadiums because as others have said, it's easier to get tickets. plus i like the setup of the stadium tours - think popmart, 360. they're outlandish and awesome. i know others like the intimacy of arena shows which is fine too.

Back
Top Bottom