Will U2 Tour in arenas in 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2 are going to put on a show with rarities and rotating set lists, then I'm all aboard for an arena show.

If they're going to have scripted set lists, playing the same show from night to night with only a few subtle changes in pre-selected spots... Then I'd prefer a big old fat stadium show multimedia clusterfuck'o'rama.

Great point. Better to just come over for one Bay Area show and get it over with then put on two arena ones that will serve half as many people and have virtually the same setlist. Not to mention that a stadium guarantees 75,000 different people whereas the arena gigs often have like 30% of the crowd having gone to every show at that stand. Therefore, a 15,000 seat arena sees about 20,000 different people over the two nights. The arena gigs allow more people to partake in the experience and ensure that uber-fans like us don't waste our time and money watching virtually the same show multiple nights.

I actually prefer stadiums. Since U2 has their own speaker system, the sound quality is roughly the same at each gig whereas a lot of the arenas are horrible for concerts. Moreso, if you're the sort of fan that's willing to line up early and get a good seat in the pit, stadium shows are better because it's much easier to snag floor seats since there's far more tickets available.

Plus, god forbid, they do that Vertigo tour nonsense where they scan your ticket and randomly assign you the inner or outer circle. :doh:

As another said, U2 uses their own speaker system for arenas also. Plus some stadiums (particularly the enclosed or partially enclosed) are complete echo chambers and are awful for sound, moreso than a lot of arenas.

Vertigo tour nonsense? Versus fans camping out for 2 days to get in the inner circle. Talk about nonsense, ridiculous and sometimes dangerous depending on where the arena was located. :shrug:

I'm also in the camp that reckons arenas for US, stadiums for everywhere else. Let's be honest, even if the album is a flop, with 3-4 years between visits there will be enough demand to fill stadiums in most areas. Ask anyone in the street to name a U2 song from the last 5 years and you'll get a blank stare BUT everyone knows the classics.
Speaking only from an Australian perspective, if U2 played arenas and had only HALF of the draw for the next tour as 360, that would still be 3-4 nights in every capital city here. I just don't see that happening.

I also think it will be Arena's US and Stadiums everywhere else. One of the factors that might drive thier decision is that the long rumored reunion of Led Zeppelin looks like it's coming to fruition in 2014... Remember when Roger Waters stayed away from Stadiums in 2011 with his Wall Tour because U2 was finishing it's 360 Tour.

So why can't they do arenas in Europe?

The problem U2 run into when doing arenas in Europe is that they would have to play too many shows in order to meet the demand. They would have to play 18 shows in dublin's o2 arena in order to sell as many tickets as they did in 2009 with just 3 croke park shows. Even smaller markets like Poland would still need 3-4 arena shows to match the numbers of 1 show in 09. The same situation exists in Aussie, South America and larger cities in North America.

U2 aren't going to play to the same sized audience as 360.

How do you know? If U2 said that this was there last tour I think they would , also the 360 tour was that good it will interest new people. I have friends that want to go just because of seeing the pictures and videos I took at the gig.

It all depends on pricing. If tickets are cheap enough, they could sell twice as many as they did on 360.

Arena tour will most likely = higher ticket prices.

The problem U2 run into when doing arenas in Europe is that they would have to play too many shows in order to meet the demand. They would have to play 18 shows in dublin's o2 arena in order to sell as many tickets as they did in 2009 with just 3 croke park shows. Even smaller markets like Poland would still need 3-4 arena shows to match the numbers of 1 show in 09. The same situation exists in Aussie, South America and larger cities in North America.

Well U2 in almost every tour overplayed the US and underplayed Europe...

Well U2 in almost every tour overplayed the US and underplayed Europe...

If U2 doesn't play Ohio, they haven't overplayed the US! :wink:
I think that 360 was the perfect amount of shows to cover the US (minus Ohio). It was heavily rumored that 360 was going to do a 3rd European leg in Aug/Sep 2011. They could've probably squeezed another 15-20 shows or so out of Europe. But since they never released a 2nd album for the 360 tour, they felt there was no need to tour Europe again, except purely for the money.

How do you know? If U2 said that this was there last tour I think they would , also the 360 tour was that good it will interest new people. I have friends that want to go just because of seeing the pictures and videos I took at the gig.

They indicated going to arenas/going smaller next tour.

So they'd have to play an enormous amount of shows to equal 360 audience, even if the next tour is only arenas in US and stadiums ROW.

Hey, this combination of funny and cranky over here is making me dizzy!

I get the sense they prefer to do arena shows and will try to do more of them. But I think their real concern at this point is breaking back onto the charts. I think they're gagging for it- that's what all the stress and delay about the new album is for. And I think they'll pick whatever tour strategy is most likely to support that, rather than worrying as much about how it generates profits.

Just read this on twitter:

@Dutchelevation: Spoke to Stuart Morgan after #TheKillers gig. He gave me s setlist AND confirmed #U2 tour in 2014! Hope he's right!!!!

and

@U2sJerseygirl: Stuart Morgan (Adam's tech) confirms U2 tour for 2014!! Fans asked him at tonight's Killers concert.

Beat me to spilling the beans. Yup. Stuart was The Killers' bass tech, and Ria/Dutchelevation asked him. He confirmed it twice that he's booked for 2014 and he seemed in good spirit's, so add that to the crew that has been booked for screens and I think we might tentatively be thinking we have a tour!

Ooh. :heart: I should take this with a grain of salt, but I can't go wrong with getting excited about anything U2-related.

Arenas, eh?

New U2 fans are about to discover that floor tickets will be a hell of a lot harder to get than they were on the 360 Tour.

Don't be prejudiced against seats though. They're just fine in arenas. Especially the behind the stage seats. You can get damn close to the band and still have a reserved seat.

Oh I can't wait! :hyper: I'm saving up those dollar bills! I can't believe the last time I saw them was 21 years ago! Yikes. Time to break the dry spell!

Back
Top Bottom