Will they ever record a Jazz album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactus Annie

Refugee
The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxar
On another thread about solo projects I suggested the possibility of Bono recording an album of the old jazz classics. As I can see some people were less optimistic about Bono being able to sing jazz then others. One of the most important elements with this style is to have a great sense of melody and rythem and I think that Bono's has a very melodic voice. But I wanted to know what the rest of you think about them writing and recording new jazz material as a band.

There's so much more to jazz then just swing. If you take Amy Winehouse and Norah Jones who are two recent examples of jazz singers you can see what a broad spectrum Jazz is, just like pop, rock and classical music.

When I was in my local record shop on Saturday I was talking to the guy in their who's a huge fan of jazz. He was saying that when most people think of jazz, all they think of is Louis Armstrong when there is so much more to the genre. Louis, as well as Sarah Vaughn were meant to be very inventive in the way that they sang and they were known as hot jazz. Whilst the cooler jazz singers such as Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee and Nat King Cole employed a style that was more concerned about beauty of tone accuracy of pitching. Singers such as Billie Holiday were loved because of their emotional appeal and how you can hear their pain in their singing. I think Amy Winehouse is similar to Billie in the way her pain comes through in her singing and she doesn't try to beautify her tones, whilst Norah Jones has a beautiful voice but has less of an emotional appeal.

What style, if any, do you would be best suited if U2 were try to record a jazz album?

Yeah, they might do a jazz album . . . if they learn how to play more than six chords.

I'm sure the world's millions of U2 detractors would be very appreciative of a new direction in jazz for the musically unsophisticated Dublin post-punkers.

I've always felt that Larry Mullen and Art Blakey were peas of a pod!

My first reaction is "ugh, no."

But if they got the production right, it could be cool - think of "Night and Day." That worked out pretty well.

Honestly, though, the guys don't really have the chops to do it well.

I think if the Edge weren't such a perfectionist, he could be an amazing jazz guitarist. He'd benefit from checking out L.A.-based improvisational jazz genius Nels Cline. They're my two favorite guitarists, but they're at completely different ends of the spectrum stylistically.

What I love about jazz performances--and I've seen quite a few of them this year--is the level of spontaneity. I hate to say it, but spontaneity just isn't a word I think of to describe U2. Could they pull it off? Maybe. But I'd rather see them stick with the style of music they're better at, possibly trying to incorporate some characteristics of jazz without going as far as recording jazz standard knock-offs.

Although they compose in jam sessions and so on, I don't really think they will ever do it as a band, I don't feel all of them are interested in these kind of side projects, but I hope Edge and Bono will consider it sometime in between tours, it would be great and I'm not thinking about an oldies covers album, something more like fussion could suit them perfectly, can you imagine Bono's voice in a little jazz club and Egde introducing all kind of effects, specially delaying effects, into jazz melodies? (for me rock may be for stadiums and arenas, but jazz is definitely for clubs, listening to the music with a good glass of wine in you hand)

I wouldn't mind an album of Bono singing some of the old standards if it was along the line of Night and Day or something like that - a more modern interpretation, rather than just the boring option of just plain old singing them with an orchestra.

Like Rod Stewart did in recent years. I would be seriously disappointed if he did something along those lines. I'd even put his duet on I've Got You Under My Skin in that category. It was nice as a one-off duet with Frank, but I wouldn't want him to record a whole album of that sort of thing.

I think part of what made me love the duet with Sinatra was how radically different it was from everything else they were doing in the early 90s. I don't think I could stomach an entire album of them, either.

I do love "Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot of Sad," though, too. I was less of a fan of that duet Bono did with Tony Bennett a few years ago. It felt a little too corny.

I'd be all for a fusion of the U2 signature sound and west coast jazz. Give me something like "Two Shots of Happy..." and the Bono/ Jools Holland collaboration, "If You Wear That Velvet Dress," but take it a step further. It's like Edge said about the upcoming record and the Moroccan influences - I wouldn't want the band to make it seem forced, like traveling tourists. Make it authentic, not disingenuous at all, and interesting. Jazz + U2 = :drool:

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Why?

Because they don't have the chops and because it won't sell shit.

What style, if any, do you would be best suited if U2 were try to record a jazz album?

i think bono could do something more along the lines of contemporary jazz. maybe team up with someone like paul hardcastle. i would seriously like to see him be a guest vocalist for the next Jazzmasters project. if he chose to tackle more traditional favorites, it would be better if he did his own take on them. like the bands version of "night & day".

I don't think Bono's voice suits jazz
I love his part on the Sinatra duet, I think it's quite brilliant actually, but even there he sounds like a pop/rock singer on a jazz tune
Two shots of happy ... he is approaching as a jazz vocalist and I think he does a pretty good job at it, but not good enough (by a long shot) to warrant a full album

however
I see The Million Dollar Hotel as a great U2/jazz hybrid
and I wouldn't mind hearing the band explore that sound more

You know I really hope not.

It would feel gimmicky to me.

I like jazz and all. I just don't associate it with U2. I'm not a big fan of them crossing genres.

I'd like to hear them do motown. I mean, Spoon's tapped into a bit of the motown vibe. Why couldn't U2? Oh wait....

however

:up:

I'd love them doing more Crossover and I think Bono could do it, maybe even Edge, but about the rest of the band ... I'm not so sure. I don't think such a U2 project will ever come to life.

oO nops
i think this could be a bad idea, i would love a blues record..

however

Me too, but I don't see U2 doing it because they already did it. Besides, it probably wouldn't be a hit album, and they don't seem interested these days in doing something that won't guarantee them huge sales.

Back
Top Bottom