Will they ever record a Jazz album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you think of Sting's forays into the jazz scene? When I've asked my jazz friends, I've had mixed responses. None of them like what he's been doing now as a solo artist but some of them did like his first couple of albums. When I was listening to some of his greatest hits the other night and then I put on the MDH soundtrack I was struck on how similar both Bono's and Sting's voices are. On Falling at your Feet and Sting's When We Dance both their voices tend to blend well with the music. My mum commented that MDH sounds like the type of music you hear in a bar in America. But that album was written for a movie and therefore was it's main purpose was to create a mood. IYWTVD does have a smooth jazz feel to it.

What do you think of Sting's forays into the jazz scene?

I don't think there are a lot of Sting fans on this site, but I'm one of the few. I'm not much of a jazz person, so Sting's more jazzy stuff is pretty hit or miss with me.

There are a few songs on Dream of the Blue Turtles that make me :yawn: but I really like almost everything on Nothing Like the Sun, which was a bit less jazzy than the first album.

the thing with this is that bono/u2 have to tackle it with their own style. not try to imitate. of course since they view POP as a failure, it's hardly likely that we will see them delving into any other genres and putting thier own touch on it soon.

Million Dollar Hotel is probably U2's closest foray into that genre. But, I think a few people already mentioned that. :doh:

I really dug the MDH soundtrack. You definitely have to be in a certain mood to listen to that one.

^ Personally I can't stand the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress. I have tried to get into it and like it for a really long time because everyone seems to be gushing over that version, but in truth it's almost annoying me to death. There is a certain form of Jazz I simply cannot listen to because it makes me aggressive. I don't need any more of that, thank you very much.

^ Personally I can't stand the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress. I have tried to get into it and like it for a really long time because everyone seems to be gushing over that version, but in truth it's almost annoying me to death. There is a certain form of Jazz I simply cannot listen to because it makes me aggressive. I don't need any more of that, thank you very much.

Total agreement here. There is only one song by U2 that I just do not like. Never have and that is Velvet Dress. Everyone told me I'd like it if I heard the Jools Holland version, and that just made it worse.

There is a certain form of Jazz I simply cannot listen to because it makes me aggressive.

:lol:

I have this visual of you hearing this certain form of jazz and then just kind of stomping around the room kicking and shoving things.

I like the Jools Holland version fine - I don't think i'd want to hear a whole album of that sort of thing, though.

^ Personally I can't stand the Jools Holland version of Velvet Dress. I have tried to get into it and like it for a really long time because everyone seems to be gushing over that version, but in truth it's almost annoying me to death.

I wouldn't go that far. In itself it's ok, but given how great Velvet Dress was to start with, it's a mess.

I don't get the love for it. Never have and never will.

Sorry, I had to just tell you something that I've just found out, scrap what I said about Sting because he no longer wants to be a singer. I know I've gone back to this thread (but then as some rude individual said: I have got mental problems)but I couldn't get on the net on Saturday. In August I thought that it was the other way around. Sting was a dignified vocalist whilst Bono was more interested in attending meetings than being real, but 4 months latter it turns out I was wrong. Such a shame, he had a great voice. I remember when thousands of money went missing from his bank account and he never even noticed, well if you can't expect to work for it then the forces that be will have a way of rectifying that.

I wouldn't go that far. In itself it's ok, but given how great Velvet Dress was to start with, it's a mess.

I don't get the love for it. Never have and never will.
agreed.

for jazz as a whole, i don't know. i like jazz music, but i couldn't even begin to tell you my favourite songs. i know it's because i've never sat down and listened to specific artists or songs, just whatever's on the radio. it all sounds the same to me. it's a good kind of similarity, but i wouldn't even know who's great and who sucks.

Sorry, I had to just tell you something that I've just found out, scrap what I said about Sting because he no longer wants to be a singer. I know I've gone back to this thread (but then as some rude individual said: I have got mental problems)but I couldn't get on the net on Saturday. In August I thought that it was the other way around. Sting was a dignified vocalist whilst Bono was more interested in attending meetings than being real, but 4 months latter it turns out I was wrong. Such a shame, he had a great voice. I remember when thousands of money went missing from his bank account and he never even noticed, well if you can't expect to work for it then the forces that be will have a way of rectifying that.

Bonsai, what are you talking about? :huh:

My dear Cactus Annie, what are you talking about?

Annie did you get a hold or some random blog telling you Sting is doing an endorsement deal for autotune?

i get the feeling from this thread that people "seem" to think there is only a certain kind of jazz) i said "seems" so don't get your knickers in twist). like louis armstrong or sinatra style jazz. there are sub-genre's of jazz.

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say. Take Louis and Bing's duet of Now You Has Jazz from the film High Society. Bing has a smooth great voice and he's more of a crooner whilst Louis' style was more energectic, playful and he always sings with that rumble in his voice. Even when he sang What A Wonderful World you can still detect that rumble in his voice.

And as for Sting, I just him and others to honour the amount they earn from performing on their records by being genuine.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Bono's voice doesn't seem to be as supple as it once was. Although he tries to mask it with his vocal styling, I can sense this particularly when he shifts from lower to higher range on the later albums. This is one reason that a jazz type album may not be such a great idea. Overall however, I still think he is an awesome talent and the great majority of time is in fine vocal form.

Back
Top Bottom