Will the next tour be in stadiums or arena's in the United States?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that's only if you're a diehard that does not eat, drink or go to the bathroom for hours. For normal diehards, the first come first serve system into the heart on Elevation worked far better. Getting in the heart was almost like having a reserved seat in terms of ease in coming or going. Except of course if you're hugging a rail for hours without moving or going to the bathroom. The great irony is that the rail huggers are only briefly and just slightly closer to the band during the show compared to people in the middle.

Many die hards have, ya know, jobs and important things to do that sometimes can't be put off just because U2 is in town.

Vertigo was fair. Many people still got the spots they wanted or needed without feeling the need to sit outside in the sweltering heat for 18 hours.

And if you want to be really close and the only way to get that close is to stay at your spot and hold your ground? Okay... save your drinking for after the show so that you don't have to pee every 5 minutes and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Many die hards have, ya know, jobs and important things to do that sometimes can't be put off just because U2 is in town.

Exactly, which is why occasionally some people don't even get to see the tour. But you would like to be personally served because you can't line up earlier in the day? I see.

Many people still got the spots they wanted or needed without feeling the need to sit outside in the sweltering heat for 18 hours.

Duh, because people get those spots no matter what system is in place.

And if you want to be really close and the only way to get that close is to stay at your spot and hold your ground? Okay... save your drinking for after the show so that you don't have to pee every 5 minutes and it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm NOT a rail biter or a position holder. I like to get into the heart, elipse, or inner ring, but that's it, once in, any place will do because your so close no matter where you are. I come and go as I please once in. The rail biters or position holders often dehydrate themselves and threaten others in order to hold their positions though.

Vertigo was fair.

In a very strict sense that is true. But it prevented me from getting into the inner section like I did on Elevation, even though I saw the Vertigo tour four times. I think fans that have the ability and opportunity to line up in order to get into the inner section should not have that taken away. It was hard enough to get General Admission to begin with when they were playing arena's.

First come, first serve, with the line ups is far more Rock N' Roll than random admission.

I'm sure if the fans had a vote, the overwhelming majority would vote for first come first serve.

ku-medium_zps24eed3b0.gif

My 2014 resolution is not to let all the GA bullshit stress me out like it did last time. So not worth it.

All this GA talk is not making me look forward to the line drama on the next tour again. :huh:

After last tour in Pittsburgh, I decided I'm never doing that again. It's no longer worth it for me. For one show on the next tour, I'll buy the top dollar tickets to get real close. For the rest of the shows (I have usually done 3 per tour, will do that again if possible), I'll just buy the mid level price range ones the minute they go on sale and still have a pretty good spot.

I had the most annoying group of people beside me in Pittsburgh. They were all very drunk, very high, very loud, and very horny! They were all groping each other the whole time, and this one girl kept grinding on my friend (not Friends 1-6 lol)and I (we're both married and she was really annoying). They talked the whole time and drunkenly stumbled/danced into everybody the whole time. I don't think they even really knew U2's music. I give them A for having fun, but I don't want to deal with that shit. Plus the lines, the sitting out in the hot sun all day, the painful feet... I realize I sound like a grumpy old man, but maybe I am! ;)

After last tour in Pittsburgh, I decided I'm never doing that again. It's no longer worth it for me. For one show on the next tour, I'll buy the top dollar tickets to get real close. For the rest of the shows (I have usually done 3 per tour, will do that again if possible), I'll just buy the mid level price range ones the minute they go on sale and still have a pretty good spot.

I had the most annoying group of people beside me in Pittsburgh. They were all very drunk, very high, very loud, and very horny! They were all groping each other the whole time, and this one girl kept grinding on my friend (not Friends 1-6 lol)and I (we're both married and she was really annoying). They talked the whole time and drunkenly stumbled/danced into everybody the whole time. I don't think they even really knew U2's music. I give them A for having fun, but I don't want to deal with that shit. Plus the lines, the sitting out in the hot sun all day, the painful feet... I realize I sound like a grumpy old man, but maybe I am! ;)

Well that plan will definitely work in the Arena's as the high priced seats are very close to the stage. But in the stadiums, the high priced seats, even the best ones are actually far from the stage. The best ones in stadiums which you are unlikely to get are still over 25 yards from the stage which is like sitting in the front row on the lower level at the back of a Basketball arena looking out across the floor towards the stage.

:lol: Thankfully, I never really had the 'annoying' group standing next to me in lines before. I did have a pretty eccentric group stand next to me recently at a Prince show, but I wouldn't call them annoying either in a personal or physical way. Well, except for maybe this one joke about Dairy Queen blizzard jokes they repeatedly did for a few hours... :D

Well that plan will definitely work in the Arena's as the high priced seats are very close to the stage. But in the stadiums, the high priced seats, even the best ones are actually far from the stage. The best ones in stadiums which you are unlikely to get are still over 25 yards from the stage which is like sitting in the front row on the lower level at the back of a Basketball arena looking out across the floor towards the stage.

Well, if they have any type of set up similiar to 360 the side sections in stadiums were/are still pretty close to the stage. Or lower upper deck side stage is still a pretty good view IMO and the pricing wasn't too bad. :shrug:

I gave up on GA after the Elevation tour, burned out, and I had "other" priorities that trumped being in GA. Glad I did it when I did. 10 shows on Elevation, 9 times in the heart (Went to the South Bend show, GA were not available to the general public, did not matter due to the size of the venue, great seats) and it was more and more stressful making sure I was in the heart as the tour went along. Never again.

Exactly, which is why occasionally some people don't even get to see the tour. But you would like to be personally served because you can't line up earlier in the day? I see.

Duh, because people get those spots no matter what system is in place.

I'm NOT a rail biter or a position holder. I like to get into the heart, elipse, or inner ring, but that's it, once in, any place will do because your so close no matter where you are. I come and go as I please once in. The rail biters or position holders often dehydrate themselves and threaten others in order to hold their positions though.

In a very strict sense that is true. But it prevented me from getting into the inner section like I did on Elevation, even though I saw the Vertigo tour four times. I think fans that have the ability and opportunity to line up in order to get into the inner section should not have that taken away. It was hard enough to get General Admission to begin with when they were playing arena's.

First come, first serve, with the line ups is far more Rock N' Roll than random admission.

I'm sure if the fans had a vote, the overwhelming majority would vote for first come first serve.

No, I do not want to be personally served just because some times I can't wait in line all day.

For what it's worth, I got into the heart 4 times through knowing people who knew people. I was incredibly fortunate to have friends in the right places. /disclaimer

Now that that's out of the way... I didn't always rely on those friends, and did go through the process a number of times. I never won the lottery. I got rail spots a few times, and some times couldn't arrive early and took my chances with either lottery or standing by the soundboard.

Beyond the sunburns, tired feat, fatigue, swamp ass and other various calamities suffered by all of those who waited in GA... there was one major, glaring issue.

The lines weren't run by the band and/or arena.

Now in most situations every one was fair and just.

But as we all know, waiting in that GA line forces you to deal with the entitled, the arrogant, the spot savers, and other various douchebags who feel that they are some how more important than everyone else who's going through the same thing.

Being able to avoid THAT, while still having a chance to get inside the heart, was my number one reason why I liked that system.

I wouldnt even mind paying abit more on my ticket price to avoid queing all day and still not certain of getting in

there was one major, glaring issue.

But as we all know, waiting in that GA line forces you to deal with the entitled, the arrogant, the spot savers, and other various douchebags who feel that they are some how more important than everyone else who's going through the same thing.

THIS is the problem with the GA line. It got worse and worse as the Elevation tour progressed because of everything you mention. I cannot comment on Vertigo or 360 as I did not go the GA route as I mentioned before. I have some great experiences meeting fans in the GA line, most happend on the first leg of Elevation. Word seemed to get out about it by the 3rd leg and it changed and became more stressful, aggressive and sometimes borderline dangerous. I heard some of the same stories about those Vertigo and 360 here as well. It seems to bring out the best and the worst in some fans.

The band's management/security or the venue security need to take control of the line if they continue to do it (which I imagine they will). If for no other reason, safety. As mentioned there have been times it has been a mad rush when the doors open, which is obviously dangerous. I remember reading some borderline safety problems from the San Diego first leg Elevation show. If I recall correctly, someone got hurt in that mad rush. Then the whole Boston Elevation GA fiasco (which was both the band and fans acting ridiculous IMO).

Well, if they have any type of set up similiar to 360 the side sections in stadiums were/are still pretty close to the stage. Or lower upper deck side stage is still a pretty good view IMO and the pricing wasn't too bad. :shrug:

I gave up on GA after the Elevation tour, burned out, and I had "other" priorities that trumped being in GA. Glad I did it when I did. 10 shows on Elevation, 9 times in the heart (Went to the South Bend show, GA were not available to the general public, did not matter due to the size of the venue, great seats) and it was more and more stressful making sure I was in the heart as the tour went along. Never again.

Well, a football field is 53 yards wide, plus there is at least 10 yards between the edge of the field and where the seating is. So if you are sitting front row directly to the side of Bono, you are about 36 yards away from stage center. That's more than the length of a basketball court. The list price for that ticket was $250 dollars plus whatever fees. That is the best reserved seat in the house in terms of how physically close you are to the band, and its further than all GA and most lower level seats in the arena from stage center.

In terms of basic line of site, yes, you can see and have clear view in that respect. But compared to the arena, you are not close at all, and that's going by the closest, best reserved seat in the stadium in terms of proximity to the stage. In the arena, that same seat will be right up against the cat walk because in the arena, there is little to no room on the sides because the floor is tiny. You are less than 15 yards from stage center in the basketball arena in the same seat.

Then of course there is the GA ticket price of $55 dollars vs. the best reserved price of $250 dollars. No contest. Better view and closer proximity in GA for 20% the cost of the reserved seat!

Beyond the sunburns, tired feat, fatigue, swamp ass and other various calamities suffered by all of those who waited in GA... there was one major, glaring issue.

Well, they have this thing called sunscreen, then you can also move your body instead of just standing which prevents tired feet and swamp ass. Hell, my friends and I played several games of football in the parking lot next to the line during the day. Then there is the opportunity to talk with dozens of people from around the country or even around the world, a unique social experience indeed.

Being able to avoid THAT, while still having a chance to get inside the heart, was my number one reason why I liked that system.

I wouldn't want the band to be bothered with running the lines. Let the fans handle it. The fans have been handling it for decades with little to no problems whether its lining up for concert or back in the days when people lined up to buy tickets.

Yep, you are not going to be able to avoid people when doing this. Its definitely not for the fan who likes to arrive at his seat just before the band comes on, and leaves the show 10 minutes before the end to get a jump on traffic.

The entire, Elevation tour was first come, first serve, all shows outside of North America were first come first serve on Vertigo, and all shows on the 360 tour were first come first serve. Its generally what most fans prefer and its an experience that many fans enjoy, one that North American fans were kind of robbed of on Vertigo.

With the first come first serve system, everyone who really wants to get into the heart has a much better chance. With the lottery, you have fans getting in who could care less where they are on the floor. The fact alone makes first come first serve better than the lottery.

THIS is the problem with the GA line. It got worse and worse as the Elevation tour progressed because of everything you mention. I cannot comment on Vertigo or 360 as I did not go the GA route as I mentioned before. I have some great experiences meeting fans in the GA line, most happend on the first leg of Elevation. Word seemed to get out about it by the 3rd leg and it changed and became more stressful, aggressive and sometimes borderline dangerous. I heard some of the same stories about those Vertigo and 360 here as well. It seems to bring out the best and the worst in some fans.

The band's management/security or the venue security need to take control of the line if they continue to do it (which I imagine they will). If for no other reason, safety. As mentioned there have been times it has been a mad rush when the doors open, which is obviously dangerous. I remember reading some borderline safety problems from the San Diego first leg Elevation show. If I recall correctly, someone got hurt in that mad rush. Then the whole Boston Elevation GA fiasco (which was both the band and fans acting ridiculous IMO).

3rd leg Elevation is when I got into the heart. System worked beautifully and we had a wonderful day, playing football, drinking beer, picking up girls, laughing and talking with everyone. The day started at 6:00 am of course, but it worked great. We stayed the night before at hotel near the venue, then just walked up to the venue in the morning from the hotel and got in line.

On 360, because of the much larger size of the floor and people allowed in the inner ring, as long as you were in line before the venue doors opened, you were able to get into the inner ring.

But I'm thinking the will be playing arena's this time. The GA tickets will be few and for many that have them, they will want to get there early in order to get inside the inner circle, ring, if there is one. Who knows what the stage design will be like this time.

I don't know that story but I'll be in Boston. Is this something to know?

Nothing to worry about. The band filmed one of the Boston Elevation shows in 2001, and before the GA line was let in, they let some "attractive people" at the back of the line in first, so they got all the rail spots. About a dozen people at the front of the line who had been waiting all day did their own little protest by sitting on the floor the entire show until the last song. I don't think the band or management will be concerned about doing that again, and the show they film for this tour will probably not be in Boston anyway.

Oh, funny. I heard Bono tell that story (you know, when we were down to the pub one night) and he told it a little differently, that they wanted some "fresh faces" who were more enthusiastic because they were new instead of the same people who had been standing in the heart all tour.

Apparently the band found it quite bothersome that the same group of people were following the tour around and getting in the front every time. That's why the lottery system was later implemented.

WHY DO THEY CARE?

These are apparently the hardest of the hardcore fans. Traveling from city to city, taking time out of their personal lives. They're the ones who bought not only many tickets, but also probably every album/single/live album/dvd/book/etc that U2 ever put out. They wait around in the freezing cold or scalding hot to get a front row spot, and they deserve it. Totally unfair, and U2 being a little bit Prima-Donna.

I'd be tired of seeing the same faces in the front row. Sure, they have enthusiasm too, but I'd also like to see people who have never been in the front before and their reactions are OMG I'VE NEVER BEEN IN THE FRONT BEFORE THIS IS AWESOME! Wouldn't you want to see that?

You start talking about "deserving" it, and then you get into the entitlement that a lot of these fans show. Just experience some of the horror stories for yourself, and you get disgusted really fast.

It's awesome for the fans that have the opportunity to do the following around. But some of them definitely feel they are entitled to that front row, and some of them find ways to get it through any means necessary. It's not out of the realm of possibility that U2 is disgusted by that mentality as well, even if it really just is a handful of bad apples.

U2 owes them - and everyone else - a great show. And nothing else.

To call it a "Prima-Donna" thing is utterly ridiculous.

Springsteen hands out wristbands in numerical order for those who want in to the pit, and then randomly draws a number yo see who gets in first.

You still have to arrive early to get a wristband, so anyone who has to work or whatever isn't getting in the pit in most cases, but it takes out some of the douchiness and arguments caused by people who think they have some sort of god given right to have Bono sweat on them.

Also leaves plenty of time for tossing the old pigskin with a PBR tall boy while hitting on chicks, so there's that, brah

I've seen U2 fans wish they'd do the Bruce system. And I've seen Bruce fans wish he'd do the U2 system.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the GA line! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom